• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Well, I've been expirimenting and I just can't figure out this wheel hop!

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
I got to really drive the Cobra for the last couple days and one re-occuring problem is this damn wheel hop! I do not want to start swapping rear ends and all that jazz because I'm sure that there has to be some way to greatly reduce wheel hop and help me launch better. A buddy told me that with a 315 Nitto DR, I could stop virtually all the wheel hop, what do you think about this? Also, is there a real difference between the traction control being on or off? I took my cousin for a ride and I took the traction control off and it seemed to pull a little harder...so am I crazy?

-Mike

SonicBlur

Harvester of Sorrow
Oct 15, 2004
Schaumburg
Alright, but how does lowering it affect the ride quality? Now, I know if I wanted a nice riding car I should'a bought a Cadillac or something but in comparison to my 1996 GT (which felt like a 2x4 with wheels attached) I really like to way it rides. Also, what's the widest DR I can fit on my stock wheels?

-Mike

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
315 Nitto DRs fit great on the stock wheels and will get rid of most of the hop. A lot of people run them.

Also, traction control isn't getting rid of your hop, it's getting rid of your power. It might be helpful on wet or snowy roads but I can't think of when you'd ever want it on dry roads.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
When the temperature gets above 50 and the roads dry out, the hop will be much less than it is now. Like Hank says, there are methods for lessening it without going with a live axle.

The Traction Control in the Cobras is bad. If you have it on, you will pull out into traffic and suddenly lose power with cars bearing down on you. The first thing I do when I start the car is turn the TC off.

CobraSusie

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
SALEENstang96 said:
Alright, but how does lowering it affect the ride quality? Now, I know if I wanted a nice riding car I should'a bought a Cadillac or something but in comparison to my 1996 GT (which felt like a 2x4 with wheels attached) I really like to way it rides. Also, what's the widest DR I can fit on my stock wheels?

-Mike
mine is lowered 2 inches, and it rides just fine
:dunno:

sometimes you just have to ease out of first and then launch
IRS can be a bitch at times :( , and traction control should alway be off,
another thing I love about the R, it has IRS-but no traction control :headbang:

plus the roads are supper cold right now...not your friend,
you should have seen the "Sunday Morning Burnouts" here at the house
we experienced alot of wheel hop and tacking out :eek:h: :D

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
I got the MM full coil over kit, IRS bushings, IRS Diff brace, 10.5" wheels and Nitto Dr's. I have virtually eliminated it in warm weather, but when it's cold/rainy forget about it, its always gonna be there. I dropped it 1 and 3/4 in front and 1 inch in back. It rides a tad rougher but not that bad at all. It also handles on rails.

5pointOhCrap

cobravenom39 said:
I got the MM full coil over kit, IRS bushings, IRS Diff brace, 10.5" wheels and Nitto Dr's. I have virtually eliminated it in warm weather, but when it's cold/rainy forget about it, its always gonna be there. I dropped it 1 and 3/4 in front and 1 inch in back. It rides a tad rougher but not that bad at all. It also handles on rails.

new tires and a set of good springs should take care of most of the problem, ya, wheel hop sux

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I feel VERY lucky to be able to store my car until it's warm out. Especially with all the extra power, I don't think I would be very happy with it all year, in fact, I feel bad for the guys who have to.

So quit jer bich'n and keep yer foot out of it. :joke: You'll love it in the summer.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info