• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Doing the hood liner mod right now...

I

IxL4

DONE!!! WHEW!

This is what it looked liike when I opened the hood:
1.jpg

So I started taking the little screwies out:
2.jpg

It was out:
3.jpg

This is what I used to do the job:
4.jpg

Cleaned the hood liner first cause it was dirty as hell:
5.jpg

After a few coats of paint:
6.jpg

Used a tool to better outline the letters by pressing around them:
7.jpg

My awesome gf working on it... she took art classes :)
8.jpg

Letting everything dry:
9.jpg

Done:
10.jpg

Done 2:
11.jpg

What do you think??? It looks better in person :clap: :headbang: :D

I

IxL4

tomorrow i actually want to make the real mod... cut the holes bigger, but i got a question...
should I leave the little flaps closed? If I swing them open, the only way to get rid of em is to actually break them off...

Also what about water from rain and carwash and such then?

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
IxL4 said:
tomorrow i actually want to make the real mod... cut the holes bigger, but i got a question...
should I leave the little flaps closed? If I swing them open, the only way to get rid of em is to actually break them off...

Also what about water from rain and carwash and such then?

I took my hood blanket out completely, then just used some velcro to hold the flaps open. That way you can close them back up if you want.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Looks good, great idea with the pressing out the outline!

Mine took 4 coats... and still could see some water damage, but hell, another few coats, outline the letters... paint a little here and there, thanks!

I drove mine in rain with flaps open, like they say aboe. The tabs should pop right open, tuck them underneath. I took the whole vent assembly off the hood. They should pop right out. I placed the liner back in place and then through the open ven holes, traced an outline with the hood closed.

Make sure to staple the edges where you cut to keep them together. Pick up some flex tubing to line and it'll look killer!

Good luck!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Nice work!!
I can't believe that is the same liner that came out of the car.

The lettering looks great.

The Velcro trick works good to hold the vents open. Just make sure the contact areas are very clean. Any oil or dirt and they will not stick well. You don't need much either. A few small spots will do nicely.
Dan

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I like that job, it looks real nice. I took mine off thinking it would look like some others I've seen but the paint job under my blanket sucks and also when I got caught in the rain the underside of my hood got real dirty and I don't like NOT having one, I see now it soaked up a lot of water as well as retained soap rings from the car wash after a while, like I don't remember seeing them the first year, but definately after that it got progressively worse.

I'd like to copy you but with a brand new one since I threw mine away, but I wonder if it will absorb water and stain after it's painted?

Hey...how about painting it silver and then do the letters black? I bet that looks cleaner and pretty much matches? Definately hides water spots eh?

As far as the having the slots open and dripping down on the engine area, without mine closed it's much worse, I mean I spray my car at least twice a week and before I removed them my engine was much cleaner....I keep my entire engine area spotless and BRAND NEW looking with a simple hosing every couple of weeks, so I'm not going to open my vents for next year.

Silver w/black letters? I think I'm gonna try that. But then again, the black/w silver looks much cooler. Maybe I could get it plastic coated? Shoot it with a ton of clear coat? Who knows. Somehow I think being painted would prevent the soaking in of soap film and it then allow it to wash off better.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info