• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

what are first mods that should be done to a 99 cobra

Cobra_DJ99

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2004
hey everyone im new to this site i am 17 and was wondering what should be the first mods i should be doing to my car and if i get mods such as cai, cat-back and small other things will i need a tune? ohh and in your opinion what is the best possible cai that i can get for a 99 i heard people werent happy with the bbk cai. can u tell me whats best or send me a link of a pic or anything thanks alot. :eek3: :eek3:

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
k&n fipk
cat-back
underdrive pulleys
c&l maf tube

should wake your engine up a bit but not need a tune.

if you really dont want a chip you can use the steeda timing adjuster and bump your advance up a few degrees.

but eventually you'll want the fr500 cams and intake manifold....

blco

Aug 16, 2004
Cobra_DJ99 said:
hey shelby guys can u send me links of that stuff that would be awesome please. ohh and by the way i have a saleen bodykit plus mach2 hood for sale if anyone is interested

Links????.......Do you want them to buy and install them for you also? :joke:

Your better off searching for these products yourself, you will learn allot along the way!

Mystic Terminator

TCG Elite Member
Oct 6, 2004
Well since I trashed my tires in one weekend @ the track I would suggest first you go with suspension if you are planning on driving it hard.

I always thought HP was the most important until I got this car, because if you can't put the power to the pavement you don't have shit.

Now I saw a guy on this board that is selling his USED borla Catback for $320.00 if you help him with the de-install on his car. I think that would be sweeeeeet on your car. I just installed a Borla stinger on my car and it is Wicked!!!

http://www.chicagosvt.com/forums/showthread.php3?t=1735

Now I am not sure what 99 you have cause you didn't say, but if its a Cobra I would definately get the Borla Stinger. For a couple of beers I might even help you with the de-install and re-install if you bought it from Honboy1

Maximus67

May 3, 2004
I have a 99. Did exhaust, shifter, and gear immediately. I have the Prochamber as well -- although I had no problem with emissions -- and a Mac cat-back. I personally like the sound better. There are a lot of good exhaust set-ups out there. In fact, SLP and MRT have been making some noise.

I have a Pro 5.0 shifter, although the Steeda Tri-ax is just as good. Don't go any less than a 4.10 on your car ... my mileage didn't suffer much, if at all.

As far as CAI, you know there's not really one that's better than the other. Personally, I wouldn't sink a lot of money into that mod because you're not gaining much. I had the Mac CAI on mine, and it worked fine.

If you're looking to drag race, see if you can do a rear-end swap ... the IRS will kill you. If you're simply looking to cruise around, the IRS is okay. You will have the wheel hop issue, though. Do look into a good suspension. If you're looking to drag race, a nice coil over kit would work. If you're looking to do some cornering, Steeda and Kenny Brown have nice kits. I have Kenny Brown on mine. I personally love the stance ... it sits about a 1/2 inch lower than most Mustangs/Cobras I see.

A buddy of mine that's done a lot of work to my car told me not to "nickel-and-dime" the car, especially if I was going to put a blower on it. I sunk $$$ into the exhaust, the gear, the shifter, and suspension. Then I got the blower. The pulleys, the CAI, etc., weren't really going to make a big difference. And, honestly, I don't need much else. It all depends on how crazy you want to get.

I'm not sure how some of the local guys are on prices (Sutton, Metric Motorsports), but Laurel Mountain Mustang is always priced well. Also check out StangNet.com and their online store. Their prices are competitive as well.

Good luck.

Cobra_DJ99

TCG Elite Member
Aug 10, 2004
nice guys thanks for all that info i cant wait till the weather gets better i broke my halfshafts and that freaking sucks. now im forrced to fix my irs or i might just go with a solid gt rear and put a 4.30 gear in it. im definatly going to do sum big things with this car and i need to put the best shit in it possible even if it takes time (whick it will at 8 bucks an hour) but its all worth it i mean what else can i spend my money on at 17 years old. but thanks for all the info again guys. when is anyone having a get togther???

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info