• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Whipple's On - Thanx Wicked03/wtw5974

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
We'll the Whipple was installed Sunday afternoon. BIG THANKS to Carl and Tim for their help.

I finished up yesterday by completing the BAP wiring. Car runs good, but I have an unusual noise (clunking) from the blower at idle:

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/gnxs/Images/whipple_clunking.wmv

Not sure exactly what it is, if it's normal break-in, something wrong, a major issue or what. I drove it to work and it's a bit quieter today. I'm trying to get some answers on this right now. We'll see. If the weather gets a bit nicer I'll hook up the LM-1 and make some runs to check the A/F on my RWTD Whipple tune.

Painter/Dana,

We learned some things and could probably cut the install time we took (6+ hours) down to 3 hours or so.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Flyn high again said:
If you haven't already, call Whipple ASAP and let them know so they don't think you caused the problem. I wouldn't think that clunks from the blower are a good thing. :(

Cliff,

That's a long story and part of the problem.....Whipple's Customer Service.

Since we bought the blowers through a GP, they are forcing me to go through them (Need-4-Speed). Picture it - I call N4S and describe my issue, they call Whipple and relay the issue, Whipple responds back to N4S and he has to call me. Then repeat the process

What a joke!

shanker

Amateur Expert
Mar 14, 2004
OMFG! All that work just to have to remove it again to send it back. I'd have to kill at least TWO hookers to vent my rage. I hope they take care of you and get this resolved.

I'm surprised we havent read about this at SVTPerf. Whenever theres a product that has an issue it usually turns into a 4,000 page love\hate thread.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Whipple Issues

I sent a long PM to Dustin (who posts on modular Fords). If I don't hear back, it's getting escalated today.

Funny thing is, the car runs great with no noise except at idle. The the blower is spinning decently fast it sounds fine. It also runs great. I tapped into it with the 3.00 (17 psi) pulley last night and saw 18 psi :eek3: . I got home and threw the 3.25 pulley on there to be safe.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Robertson Racin said:
When I was at JDM, they had just installed a NEW whipple. it was making noise as well, they had another one in stock to swap out, they are sending the bad one back... Sounds like a common problem, do you have a local Whipple vender that can look at it??? :dunno:

Thanks, that could be very helpful info. Maybe I'll can call Jim at JDM and see what he says about it, although I've never bought anything from them.

wahoo

Regular
Mar 7, 2004
OK OK OK who dropped the beer bottle top during the install???? CARl and Tim should be ashamed!!! JK hope you get things worked out without having to remove the blower! I also think its BULLSHIT that you have to use a middle man to get to wipple for some customer support!! I wonder how much tolerance can be adjusted in the rotor packs during assembly, might be a reason why under load no noise is heard but at idle there is to much play...Maybe even a bad bearing? Just a thought.

Good Luck
Doug

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Flyn high again said:
Anything new? Hopefully good news?

Cliff,

Nothing yet. I want to keep this low key until this is resolved, one way or another. Then I'll provide all the details in this (and other) public forums. I don't want to praise them before they come through or punish them before they screw up. The ball is in their court now. I'll let you guys know.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Whipple

Well I had the guy from Whipple on the phone last night (finally got past the security guard, I mean operator, that picks up the phone) that Tony has been talking to. After discussing some possibilities, I asked if he listened to my file of the noise. He said he hadn't had a chance yet. :argue: Since I was home, I said let me start it up and put the phone near the blower. When I put the phone back to my hear all I could hear him say was "We need to get you an RMA to get that blower back here right away". He said they would replace the blower with a new unit. :headbang:

The person who would handle the RMA wasn't there and I got voice-mail, so I won't get her on the phone until today, but things are looking promising.

Robertson Racin,

Thanks for the info on JDM, I talked to Anthony at length yesterday and he was VERY helpful and informative. I've never even bought anything from them, yet he devoted 15-20 minutes discussing my Whipple problem with me. :hail: :headbang:

1MEANGT

Braaaaaaap!!!
Mar 18, 2004
Damn Larry, I hope everything works out for you. I am sure they will get you a new blower. Just sucks that you have to tear it all apart again. If you need any help let me know. I am sure that I will be helping Ray do his. Hopefully this is not a common thing with the whipple's

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
How did the car feel w/the whipple on top?

Never really took it through a few gears at WOT. Unfortunately the weather was horrible while it was on the car and I was unwilling to push it without getting my Wideband on it or some pulls on a dyno to check A/F. Right now there's a big Whipple box on it's way back to CA. :(

They said they will turn it around same day. This is their chance to "WOW" me with their customer service and bite the bullet on shipping to get it back to me on Wednesday (two day air) so I can put it back on and have a car to drive over the Thanksgiving Holiday. :alcoholic

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info