• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Whipple Boys....

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
00SVTdubs said:
how many chicago guys got whipples?

Eric,

Me, Painter and Dana. :headbang:

How's it goin' down Indiana way? How'd you like that write-up by Hammer? Gonna swap for a 2.4? :eek3:

Some Gas City 100 octane got rid of my ping. Might be a winterized gas thing. :dunno: I've got a new RWTD tune in the car right now and a RWTD Whipple tune on my computer at home.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Ray,
You really didn't have to send yours back, did you?

I ask because if you were in a hurry, you could have mine and give me yours when it comes in.
I'm not doing mine until after Thanksgiving at least and probably closer to Christmas.
I'll probably be recovering from this surgery for 2 months instead of the 2 weeks the doctor first told me.

On the plus side, I bought a new 2004 F-150 to tow the Cobra with next summer.

Dan

edit: Guess you don't need the bubble wrap to play with...

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
wahoo said:
No Dana he doesn't have to send it back! I was just giving him some shit!
I think he has plans on giving it to me for christmas!
WOW, that's pretty nice of him!!!

What are you giving him?
I know, give him bubble wrap! He likes that!!

wahoo said:
Its payback for helping you try and get that broken bolt out of his rear housing from the IRS brace install!! :p

Speaking of which, I sent that bolt to a metallurgist in Texas, and his initial response was the bolt was defective based on where the break occurred ( I guess it has something to do with the location of the break relative to the groove in the thread, but he is going to do a more indepth analysis soon).

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Larry,

Here is a pic of the fix I told you about from Doug.
Dan

Attachments

• Whipple_Snout_Fix_01.JPG
    Whipple_Snout_Fix_01.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 104

Painter

TCG Elite Member
Mar 2, 2004
Dan, thanks for the offer. That was mighty nice of you!! I did get mine today and I think I will sleep next to it tonight. Bubble wrap is all gone but got some new stuff from whipple though so I should be good for a week or so. Surgery?? good luck man, if you need anything call me, I am not married nor do I have any kids that I know of so I am available.815-814-6133. Larry is putting his on tomorrow? thats quick, I was planning on next year. Any idea where a good tuner is, I used speed inc last time but appreciate any other sources from both you and larry. Let me know if you guys need help, I neeeeeeeed the experience for my install. Oh yah in your professional opinion should I go with dual pumps or just the BAP.

Ray

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Painter said:
Let me know if you guys need help, I neeeeeeeed the experience for my install. Oh yah in your professional opinion should I go with dual pumps or just the BAP.
Ray

I need the experience too. I have yet to do one, but I have been told by others that have done the install, that it isn't that diffficult and takes 4 to 5 hours.

As far as BAP vs. Focus pumps, I really don't know which is better because I did both.
The BAP is an easier install, but can cause some surging when it kicks in. That can be worked around though.
It provides some line conditioning and extra head room for the pumps when needed otherwise the stock pumps operate normally.
With the Focus pumps, they are always on and have about 30% more capacity than stock. There is nothing to dial in or adjust. They are a bit cheaper than the BAP ($180 parts).
I guess in the end, they both provide the same end results.
Unless you are going to a return type system(lots of work), you may eventually also end up with both.
If I was forced to choose one or the other, I would say the Focus pumps, simply because they require no user intervention.
I would suggest talking to others that have done both these mods and get some feedback from them. You have lots of time until next spring.
Dan

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Larry,
I meant to ask, did you order a new gasket set or are you going to try to reuse the old ones? If so, is there an intake set or something similar?
We could ask Lyle, I think he got a set.

When you do yours, let me know if you think the gaskets are needed.
Thanks,
Dan

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Dana said:
Larry,
I meant to ask, did you order a new gasket set or are you going to try to reuse the old ones? If so, is there an intake set or something similar?
We could ask Lyle, I think he got a set.

When you do yours, let me know if you think the gaskets are needed.
Thanks,
Dan

Dan,

I had heard about be able to re-use the gaskets, but I need to get an extra set just in case. I'd hate to be doing this job and get stuck right in the middle of it because I screwed up a gasket. I need to find out where I could get a new gasket set.....today. :dunno:

You're welcome to come by and observe and offer your advice with my install. :idea: I know you had some surgery, so we wouldn't need you for any physical labor. Just having your insights and experience would knock about an hour off the job I bet. :headbang:

Painter,

I don't know what flash tuner you have, or if you just have your chip burned, but I got a Whipple program from RWTD (in fact I have two from him) that I'll load into my Predator. Since he has an identical setup to mine (except he has a KB), I'm getting the benefit of all the tuning tweaks he's done to his car in my program. He sent me one a few weeks back, then out of the blue sent me another with some tweaks he used on his car. I recommend him highly, but tuner choice is a sensitive issue. I'm sure you could get a nice tune from a reputable place and awesome tuner like JDM or HBH (but you'd need to drive to the East Coast :eek3: ) I'm not sure who the nearest pros are when it comes to tuning this type of combo (Apten is a possibility)

If you're not in a hurry, you can see how RWTD's tune works in my car before making up your mind. You're always welcome to come by and see what's involved with the install.

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
:sad2:

Are you sure none of you guys wants to donate the Whipple :biggringi to ChicagoSVT.com for research on my vehicle?

you know it's Christmas season already :santa:

no?? :crying:

guess I'll settle on the Apten/Steigmier Port, I just took the SC off last night, and I'm shipping it out today for a Blower / Throttle Body / Plenum job

:headbang:

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Whipple

Well the BAP is in....almost. Still figuring the best way to run the wires through the car (from the trunk to the engine compartment) to get the boost signal. Everything else is done.

With any luck there will be a functioning Whipple on the car by the end of tomorrow (predicated on getting at least one assistant).

whipple.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info