• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Help with TB & Input shafts Please

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Here's the problem....I start car and hear chirping and squeling and grinding UNTIL....I push the clutch in and NO NOISE....So I called the dealer thinking it's a through out bearing and HE say's.....Probably NOT, sounds to him like an inputshaft bearing. YIKES!!!!

I thought it took more than a 2.93 and a tune to eat an inputshaft...WTF?

Can anyone tell me what to expect????

If so, and I need the repairs done to the trans...where do I get an input shaft to substitute for a better one. I'm sure the dealer will let me switch parts, I just don't know where to go for it.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Since 1964 said:
Here's the problem....I start car and hear chirping and squeling and grinding UNTIL....I push the clutch in and NO NOISE....So I called the dealer thinking it's a through out bearing and HE say's.....Probably NOT, sounds to him like an inputshaft bearing. YIKES!!!!

I thought it took more than a 2.93 and a tune to eat an inputshaft...WTF?

Can anyone tell me what to expect????

If so, and I need the repairs done to the trans...where do I get an input shaft to substitute for a better one. I'm sure the dealer will let me switch parts, I just don't know where to go for it.

Liberty Gear in Michigan makes a 26 spline input shaft for our cars. I just upgraded my clucth, PP, input shaft, etc. and used their shaft. I'm still breaking the clutch in at the moment.

http://www.libertysgears.com/

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Turned out to be...some part of the case that's craked? Update...the( front case housing cracked )Somewhere anyway they are putting in my Liberty Input Shaft, a new CenterForce Clutch...I didn't need one...but since they were there I took advantage of it since the stock disc won't fit the 26 spline shaft and besides, it will perform better overall. BOTTOM LINE....TRANS IS UPGRADED....They are also installing the COOLANT MOD...so now my tune can be adjusted with better timing.

SO....do I port the Blower????? Take advantage of the new deal over the winter? I wonder.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Will I need a bigger heat exchanger??? I just don't want to need one of those over the potential of halfshafts....although...that guy that ran the 11.18 at the last MSC said he only bought the bars...imagine that...is it that simple?

Did you guys see that last race from SonicBlue.... the guy with the coolest picture of all running down the highway...he's totaly stock not even MJ's brace....he launches @ 6000.....crazy fucker...I just want to be able to stop at the porting, and I don't want to over spin this bizoch.

Ported with a 2.93 gets low 11's??? I don't know. The chicken in me just isn't dead yet. I need to know the new rules will allow it.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
Hey, I just upgraded to a Spec 3i clutch, can I get a beefier input shaft that will go w/this clutch, or do I gotta get a clutch that fits the input shaft,too?

You should have gotten the 26 spline input shaft, which is the only upgrade to the input shaft I am aware of at the moment, then gotten a clutch to match.
All is not lost though. You can just replace the clutch DISC with the equivalent 26 spline version when you install the new input shaft.
Liberty Gears has the 26 spline input shaft for about $250.
I am guessing that Spec has an 11 inch, 26 spline disc that you can use.

Dan

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
Dana said:
You should have gotten the 26 spline input shaft, which is the only upgrade to the input shaft I am aware of at the moment, then gotten a clutch to match.
All is not lost though. You can just replace the clutch DISC with the equivalent 26 spline version when you install the new input shaft.
Liberty Gears has the 26 spline input shaft for about $250.
I am guessing that Spec has an 11 inch, 26 spline disc that you can use.

Dan

Dan, at what HP will I need the 26 spline input shaft?

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
That is a good question.
I haven't kept track of the power the guys have had that have bent or broken them.
I would guess if you are planning on porting the blower or replacing it with another larger one, that would be the time to do the input shaft.
Around 500 HP, I guess.
These transmissions aren't rated above 440HP, if I remember what I read correctly.
I did mine last winter when I did the clutch, but I was already at 525/585 by then, but it looked fine when I pulled it out.

Dan

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Even stock you can break the trans. My output shaft went instead of the input shaft. The beefier parts help but there're still no guarantees. My TOB is getting worse again. It's squealing more and more. I'm short on cash so I'm trying to hold off bringing it in until I have the spare change for a clutch/flywheel if it's necessary.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Since 1964 said:
Will I need a bigger heat exchanger??? I just don't want to need one of those over the potential of halfshafts....although...that guy that ran the 11.18 at the last MSC said he only bought the bars...imagine that...is it that simple?

Did you guys see that last race from SonicBlue.... the guy with the coolest picture of all running down the highway...he's totaly stock not even MJ's brace....he launches @ 6000.....crazy fucker...I just want to be able to stop at the porting, and I don't want to over spin this bizoch.

Ported with a 2.93 gets low 11's??? I don't know. The chicken in me just isn't dead yet. I need to know the new rules will allow it.

I'm surprised F8tlbite? (SonicBlue at MSC 2.0) doesn't have a brace on his car, but I think he should. If you're concerned with parts breakage, I suggest the half-shafts over the heat exchanger. I also agree with Dan that the 26 spline input shaft would have been good to do when you were doing the clutch.

His car runs hard (I know firsthand, he knocked me out of the heads-up class). His 60' ft. against me was a low 1.7 (BFG DRs). I'm pretty sure in addition to the 2.93 upper and ported blower he also has a lower pulley. I never did find out how big the lower was. There was conflicting info, but it was at least a 2lb lower I inagine. He trapped 124 mph when I ran him. :eek3: I'm very impressed with his car. :hail:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info