• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

The SN65 project car

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

I was refered to this site by Jeff (10th03COBRA). He said that some here may be interested in my current project. With that said...

I am working on a "slightly" modified 03 Cobra that I call the SN65.

I am well beyond the stage shown in the attached photo, but I thought you would get a kick out of this shot.

I will be looking to your help in the selection of components before I actually start bolting things back together again. Right now I am detailing all the 1000 of components that are going into this project.

Wish me luck

Attachments

• Body-007 small.jpg
    Body-007 small.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 2,595

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Here are some shots of the detailed engine and trans.

Opps, I forgot to mention that everyone is welcome to stop by the body shop and see it in person.

The work is being done at:

Julian's Collision Center
3985 Commerce Drive
St Charles, IL 60174

They do everything from show cars, concorse restorations, modifications, etc...

Just tell them Bob sent you. They just may let you in. :) Afterward, we can stop for a beer and have some fun.

SN65

Attachments

• Eng details (1) small.jpg
    Eng details (1) small.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 4,237
  • Trans-003F small.jpg
    Trans-003F small.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 4,222

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
hj16 said:
Sick Sick Sick!!!! :headbang: :headbang:

How much massaging to the 65 body was needed to get it to fit over the SN95 Frame? Or did you just modify the frame?

Very cool project :biggthump

Hank

PS - Welcome to the site :)
Hi Hank,

Thanks for the welcome and the thumbs up, I appreciate it.

As far as massaging goes, everything has to be massaged one way or another. The major issues were kind of straight forward. For example...

By removing the outside of the 03 rocker panels (just leaving the floor) and everything to the inside of the 65 rocker panels we were able to drop the 65 body over the 03 chassis. This left us with approx a 1" gap on both sides. We then had to fabricate some custom frame rails to "mate" the two cars together. The problem was the gap was not a consistent 1", it was tapered. So, we worked up the design on our CADD system and did some structural analysis (see attached image). We also had to locate and pre-drill all the holes for the spot welds (see attached). In the 65, for example, we located a spot weld in between every factory spot weld all along the lower rocker seam. We fit up and welded the new rails to the 03. We then dropped the body over this assembly and welded the 65 body to the new rails.

The car is then complete, that is all there is to it. :)

SN65

Attachments

• Stress.jpg
    Stress.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 1,967
  • Weld 2 (5) small.jpg
    Weld 2 (5) small.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 4,053
  • Weld (4) small.jpg
    Weld (4) small.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 2,011

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Unoid said:
Nice work!

Any idea what you'll do for power? common boltons ? looking for 450-500rw range? or what
!
also any idea for exhaust? going with the much expected classic dual out before both rears?
Hi Unoid,

I am wanting to hit the 500 RWHP range when complete.

The dual exhaust will exit at the rear under the rear valance. I plan on going with the full MagnaFlow system. I like the sound.

SN65

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
Awesome, what's it gonna weigh???
I am not quite sure what the finished weight will be, but I am guessing it will be between 2,800 and 3,600 lbs. Most likely somewhere around 3,200 yealding a HP/weight ratio of 6.4 to 1

Not to bad for a custom built car where weight really has not been that great a concern.

SN65

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
SN65 said:
Not to bad for a custom built car where weight really has not been that great a concern.
SN65

I was thinking it would be lighter than our 03/04 tanks. That's a sweet project either way but if you could pull it off south of the 3000 lb mark...wow. That's probably asking for too much. 500 RWHP on 2950 LBS versus 500 RWHP on 3650 LBS is night and day difference.

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Just got news from Hot Rod that the build of the SN65 project is going to be covered in the Jan issue.

WoHoo

This will be the second car I have built that will get Mag coverage. I hope that they write up a feature article when it is done.

SN65

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Here are some photos of the templates and test plots. Note that reliefs are located at the edge of every fold point and that the holes are located for all the spot welds. No punching required.

The files have been sent to the laser table. I will have parts back as soon as they can work it into their schedule (unfortunately WORK comes first). :-(

SN65

Attachments

• drawings (2)Small.jpg
    drawings (2)Small.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,809
  • Drawings Small.jpg
    Drawings Small.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 1,787

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
Wow, that looks hard. Congrats on the Mag, can't wait to see it.

SN65 said:
Hi All,

Here are some photos of the templates and test plots. Note that reliefs are located at the edge of every fold point and that the holes are located for all the spot welds. No punching required.

The files have been sent to the laser table. I will have parts back as soon as they can work it into their schedule (unfortunately WORK comes first). :-(

SN65

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Hi All,

Here is a shot of one of the K-member frame rail extensions being cut out, and the piece fresh off the table.

It took longer than I expected to get time on the table. :-(

This piece will be formed into a channel and welded to the existing frame rails. All of the holes you see in this piece are where the spot welds will be located. We should have photos of the installed pieces ready by Monday.

Wish me luck.

SN65

Attachments

• Plasma table (4) small.jpg
    Plasma table (4) small.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 1,751
  • Plasma table (5) small.jpg
    Plasma table (5) small.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 1,729

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
That is some really nice work. A very ambitious project on your part.
I am sure it will turn out to be a very unique piece of work (or should I say art?) I would enjoy seeing it before it is fully completed.

I have to ask one question though and that is with all this custom work and a concern about weight, why are you keeping the IRS?
If you haven't, now would be the ideal time to swap in a built late model GT axle.

Dan

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
Damn I wish I could find pics of the '66 Hertz car with the '03 running gear. They used the usual street rod mustangII front end and spliced the back half under the car. Yours is not the first, but looks like it uses the most modern bits!

Stuff like this makes me want to change directions with my Shelby...again....

SN65

Regular
Oct 28, 2004
Cobra Dude said:
You are highly skilled and I know you will have excellent results. I wish you had a solution for the our IRS that would help us to launch without going to a straight axle. Good luck and keep in touch.
Harvey
Hi Harvey,

Thank you for the kind words.

I will be addressing the IRS when I get this beast on the road. Got to eliminate the wheel hop without completely ruining the ride.

SN65

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info