• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I'm hearin noises that I don't like.

Brutal04

Regular
Sep 9, 2004
Illinois
:mad: My tranny is starting to make some angry noises. :mad:

1) Start car, let idle in Neutral, foot off clutch. You hear a humming/faint grinding sound. Foot on the clutch, the noise goes away.

2) There is always a little thud when shifting from 1st to 2nd.(sounds like it's coming from the rear end)If I shift it at around 3500 it is still there but less noticeable.

3) Driving to work today, in 3rd doing 40/45ish, I let off the gas & get a thud from the trans. I took it up to 60ish in 4th & the same thing happens. If I jump on it while coasting I'll get a big ole thud. :(

I guess it's to the dealer I go.. Unfortunately I installed my TriAxe & KB Cool air kit last weekend. I guess I'll have to pull the stuff off & put the stock crap back on so they don't try to void my warranty... THIS SUCKS!! The damn thing only has 900mi. on it. :mad:

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
The clunk/thud from the rear end is normal, by design of the drivetrain. It's the shock of the engagement from no power to power when you press the gas.

The noises from the gearbox are normal, it's just louder now because you have an aftermarket shifter. I would suggest having a fellow cobra owner driving your car to confirm your normal sounds.

Mike

ps my clunk thud is less noticeable now, but it could be because of the loud exhaust OR the IRS differential brace. Also, Royal Purple Synchromax quieted down my trans with the Pro 5.0 - but again, this could be due to my Borla Stingers :)

slow lane

May 7, 2004
As Chicago Mike noted, it's typically refered to as the "Clunk".

Totally normal as you take up the play in the drivetrain. If it bothers you, over time you will learn to drive around it. Such things as not letting off the gas enough to allow the gears to unload and feathering out the clutch the first half an inch or so. Also, putting some type of flexible gasket material between the shifter and the shifter handle seems to quiet it down a bit.

Of course now that I've been reminded of it, I'll probably be reproducing it a bunch on the way home tonight. Thanks alot.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info