• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What are the in's and out's of warranty with mods?

saras03Cobra

Sep 8, 2004
I would like to do some minor mods to my Cobra; Cat back, cold air intake, custom program, and a mild pulley. I want to get a little more performance from the Cobra without going too wild.

Are Ford and after market warranty companies friendly to these types of mods?

Is there anything that I can do to have these mods and yet bring it back to service and keep the car under warranty?

Could you send me a reply? If a PM works better, that's fine. Thanks

Jack

Admin
Staff member
Admin
TCG Premium
Dec 31, 1969
warrantability of modded cars is solely at the descretion of the dealer and related personel..

The Magnusson-Moss act clearly states that aftermarket parts do not void warranty unless the aftermarket part can be proved to be the reason or contributing factor for the warranty claim...

While the M-M Act (LAW) is clear.. it is rarely if EVER followed appropriately.

Dealers typically take the Deny/Decline first when in doubt... The burden of proof "SHOULD" be on the dealer/manufacturer... this is rarely the case, and the owner usually has to take legal action which often times is not worth the hassle.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
The mindset you need to use regarding warranty work is this.....

Pulley = voided warranty
Chip = voided warranty

Its simple, if you cant afford to fix something if it breaks, then DONT do those mods. Cat Back, CAI, Throttle Bodies, Catted Midpipe are all usually okay, but some dealers will hassle you over them.

wtw5974

What in the Hell?
Mar 2, 2004
Wiked03 said:
What Jack said. Doing ANY mod is assuming some level of risk. If you wanna play, you have to pay.

With that said, CAI and catback exhaust are GENERALLY considered warranty friendly mods, but doing the pulley and/or tune is playing with fire.

It all depends on how important that warranty is to you.

Or how much work you are willing to do. In regards to de-moding your car before having warranty work done.

I have never had a problem with exhaust and CIA mods on any of my Mustangs over the years when it came to warranty work.

my $0.02

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info