• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

What's better, Hypertech or Diablo?

saras03Cobra

Sep 8, 2004
1. Do you use the Diablo? If I add it to my stock 03 Cobra, what gains are possible? The Diablo website says about 20-30 HP, but on HorsepowerTV, they dyno'd the Hypertech with a 40HP gain on a bone stock 03 Cobra.

2. Do you know what reliablity issues I would run into with my car?

3. Does Diablo have a 100% money back guarantee?

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
1. I use SCT (Superchips), which is very similar to the Diablo. I can't really speak to the gains, because I changed my pulley at the same time, but 20-30 HP with the new tune is not unreasonable. Do you have any mods yet? It would probably be better to start with a good CAI and exhaust, then move on to the tune and the pulley. :burnout: :headbang:

IMO, Horsepower TV is for entertainment value only. And by entertainment, I mean comedy. Hypertech sponsored that show so of course they will praise it highly.

2. I have not run into any reliability issues with my tune, but don't know about others. You will definitely be driving it harder and that can lead to various problems. :D As long as the tune is created by a credible tuner and the A/F ratio is in the safe range, all should be well.

3. Not sure. I don't think SCT does, but the tuner you use will likely work with you to get the tune right.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
saras03Cobra said:
1. Do you use the Diablo? If I add it to my stock 03 Cobra, what gains are possible? The Diablo website says about 20-30 HP, but on HorsepowerTV, they dyno'd the Hypertech with a 40HP gain on a bone stock 03 Cobra.

1) Both the Predator and SCT are good tuners. You could probably get 15-25 hp with the tune, but you might as well add the pulley and get 50+. You could certainly get at least 25+ with the tuner and a custom tune, even without a pulley.

2) No reliability issues I'm aware of. My custom tune makes my car actually drive better and smoother.

3) I don't know about a guarantee, but I don't suspect you'll want one. The traction control disable, diagnostics and data logging alone are almost worth the price.

I'm sure you could get members here with both types to give you a demo/ride to see the difference to stock and benefits & capabilities of each unit. If you'd like a Predator introduction, let me know. If you're in the SW Suburbs, we could meet up some time.

I know Carl (Wicked03) and Flatliner use the SCT. If I remember right, Flatliner has the SCT Pro Racer package, which is really slick. :headbang:

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
saras03Cobra said:
Yes, I use Diablo Revolution Software. Adding it to a "BONE STOCK" 03 would be good for 25-35rwhp and about 20-30rwtq. Dont ever bring up that Horsepower TV episode in a discussion about tuning software. It was nothing more than a 30minute long paid advertisement by Hypertech. ANY tuner can give you big gains, toss in a shitload of timing, and lean the piss outta it. Is that safe? No..... With either Diablo or SCT you will get a safe, reliable tune, that makes good power. Also, where Hypertech charges for re-burns/flashes, Diablo and SCT mail order tuners offer FREE re-burns.... so when you add a pulley, exhaust, Kenne Bell, whatever, they re-tune your chip for free. Diablo and SCT also have unbeatable customer service over the phone, and on almost every Mustang forum out there. Hypertech isnt on any websites, and are very difficult to get a hold of.

Get Diablo or SCT....you wont regret it for a second :headbang:

saras03Cobra said:
Once you get the chip in, take it to a dyno to have the A/F measured under WOT. Once you've done this, and its safe, feel free to beat the crap outta her, and never worry about reliability. I have over 12,000 miles on my CPEI combo and havent had a single problem :hail:

saras03Cobra said:
I dont think so.....but most tuners will work with you until you're happy....which, if you choose the right tuner, you will be VERY happy :biggthump

G

GET READY

I have the preadtor with a custom tune from RWTD JAMES. It works great. and right now if you by from him. You can get several free custom tunes. The performance tune with just a K&n filter will give you at least 20 to 25 hp with no problem maybe even more. Then you can always go from there with other mods. and it is not that difficult to use. The sct also seems to work fine. Svt on our site sells the preadator. Good to work with. Iam not sure which one sutton uses. But they are also good people to work with. Also the have a dyno when needed. Your choice.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Predator Flash Tuner

Get Ready is right on the money. I also have custom tune from RWTD and he's waiting for some more info from me to fine tune it a little more, which is free after purchasing a tune from him. If you look at the #'s in our sigs, we are very close. I bet we probably have almost identical mods and almost identical tunes. I also got a nice improvement in driveability and throttle response from his tune and a safe A/F:

Dyno Sheet on RWTD Tune

I highly recommend RWTD.

Also, we're talking about the flash programmer, not the chip.

Nichepi

Mar 17, 2004
Beyond not just pushing the diablo stuff I've used them for several years now. Their programming is some of the most up to date technology for our vehicles, while at the same time their customer service and the people designing the products are some of the best. I think I've tried most the current units out on the market at some time or another and have found the diablo stuff to be some of the best.
Pauls HP used SCT at one time and actually for a long time and moved to diablo several years ago. Its the best thing next to getting a fast or tec3.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I believe all the tuners have that capability. But be forewarned, that any flash of the computer, will void your warranty if it is the cause of the failure.

None of us here at chicagosvt.com have flashed our cars.

;)

Choose your flasher based on customer support, find out about reflashes, and additional tuning prices... that is where you will make your decision.

Keep in mind that we have two site sponsors that are very competitve in prices and work with both dynoing, tuning, and flashing. Give them a call and talk to them and make your choice. I am sure they will give you the warm and fuzzy. :biggthump

Brutal04

Regular
Sep 9, 2004
Illinois
Help, I'm Lost

OK guys..make room for the idiot... You guys lost me. I'm looking to buy a Predator tuner/programmer & UPR 2.8" pulley (Part Number: # 9582-KIT) & a Cold Air Kit for my '04.

I read on the UPR site: "Predator accepts custom tunes, for all and any modifications or combinations.

These tunes can come through a simple e-mail from DiabloSport direct or through any one of our nation wide network of ChipMaster Revolution dealers."

So before I install the pulley, cold air & plug the Predator in for the first time. I need to call DiabloSport & tell them I need a program sent to me with those 2 mods calibrated? :confused:

:dunno:

Wharf Rat

The other Hank
Mar 1, 2004
Brutal04 said:
OK guys..make room for the idiot... You guys lost me. I'm looking to buy a Predator tuner/programmer & UPR 2.8" pulley (Part Number: # 9582-KIT) & a Cold Air Kit for my '04.

I read on the UPR site: "Predator accepts custom tunes, for all and any modifications or combinations.

These tunes can come through a simple e-mail from DiabloSport direct or through any one of our nation wide network of ChipMaster Revolution dealers."

So before I install the pulley, cold air & plug the Predator in for the first time. I need to call DiabloSport & tell them I need a program sent to me with those 2 mods calibrated? :confused:

:dunno:

The Predator comes with a couple canned tunes- Performance 91 octane, Performance 93 octane (both for stock boost), and a pulley tune. You can load any one of these tunes to your car and make minor fuel and timing adjustments.

OR there are several vendors that can email you a custom tune that you can load with your Predator (which is what everyone is suggesting).

Also look at Billetflow for your pulley and tensioner before you buy the UPR.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Wharf Rat said:
The Predator comes with a couple canned tunes- Performance 91 octane, Performance 93 octane (both for stock boost), and a pulley tune. You can load any one of these tunes to your car and make minor fuel and timing adjustments.

OR there are several vendors that can email you a custom tune that you can load with your Predator (which is what everyone is suggesting).

Also look at Billetflow for your pulley and tensioner before you buy the UPR.

I agree with Wharf on looking at Billetflow for the pullies and if you go with the Predator, I suggest James at www.runninwiththedevil.com for the Predator purchase (which will entitle you to custom tunes from him).

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Nichepi said:
<Pauls HP used SCT at one time and actually for a long time and moved to diablo several years ago. Its the best thing next to getting a fast or tec3.>

Have you looked at the SCT Pro Racers package?
I don't think Diablo has anything to compare to it at the moment.

The learning curve is kind of steep, but the capabilities are better than anything out right now.

Dan

ChicagoMike

TCG Elite Member
Mar 4, 2004
FYI, I was at PHP (Paul's High Performance) within the past year, and he runs the SCT tuning software.

Nichepi said:
Beyond not just pushing the diablo stuff I've used them for several years now. Their programming is some of the most up to date technology for our vehicles, while at the same time their customer service and the people designing the products are some of the best. I think I've tried most the current units out on the market at some time or another and have found the diablo stuff to be some of the best.
Pauls HP used SCT at one time and actually for a long time and moved to diablo several years ago. Its the best thing next to getting a fast or tec3.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info