• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

TOB is going out FAST!!!!

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
It just started making noise Wednesday night, barely audiable squealing, still no problems engaging gears......

Fastforward to today..... its squealing like no other, I can hear it over my music (very loud) at idle, first and second are both PIAs to engage...half the time it takes 2-3 trys to get it in gear from a stop.

Although Ive never hear a TOB go out, Id imagine this is it :dunno:

Any advice/opinions on what to do once the car comes out of storage in December? Where to get stuff, how-tos, etc...???

Thanks Guys :)

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Get it into a dealer and have them do the TOB TSB [or do it yourself but it's a bit of work to pull the trans to get to it.]. I just got back from a week in Michigan [Heaven on Earth] and one of my 25 messages was the dealer calling to tell me my car is done. Hopefully when I pick it up on Monday it will have no squeals, chirps, rattles, or drips... I'll let you know what they did to mine after I see the invoice.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I don't know if your mods would matter for the TOB TSB. Supposedly more power doesn't kill the TOB. A decent speed shop could do the work, too but you will be paying some bucks for it. If you go that route, it might be a good time to upgrade the clutch.

What the heck, you're a young guy. You can lie under your car with a trans. jack and do it with your buddies. :D I put a clutch in with my dad's help on my '69 Torino. Of course, after that I never wanted to do another one lying on my back. LOL!

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
hj16 said:
It just started making noise Wednesday night, barely audiable squealing, still no problems engaging gears......

Fastforward to today..... its squealing like no other, I can hear it over my music (very loud) at idle, first and second are both PIAs to engage...half the time it takes 2-3 trys to get it in gear from a stop.

Although Ive never hear a TOB go out, Id imagine this is it :dunno:

Any advice/opinions on what to do once the car comes out of storage in December? Where to get stuff, how-tos, etc...???

Thanks Guys :)

Same problem I am having. I'm also having a hard time putting it in reverse. No grinding, but I do hear squealing and the tranny is making all types of noises.

Cobra Dude

Regular
Mar 19, 2004
I had the same problem after 8,000 miles. The dealer put in a new flywheel, new clutch, new pressure plate, and TOB under warranty. I now carry their sticker on my bumper. It says "HAWKFORD.COM" I am really grateful that they took care of me and I had the CAI package on the car, the subframe connectors, the diff brace (painted silver), the air bags, the bassani OR-X pipe with high flow cats, the steeda cat backs, the pulley (with my cover on) and the tune. I told them it all was for show and they know I put my car in a lot of shows. I love Hawkinson Ford. :hail: :hail: :hail: :hail:

G

GET READY

That sounds good because I told you about that at the dyno. but after I had them fixed ,The speed shop that did the work said no way that could happen due to the conditions of the pumps. also hawkison ford stated since I had to many aftermarket performance items. To do any warranty work. But if you know someone their my rear end has been making a lot of unwanted nosie I be willing to give them another try. But if you check Iam not the only one who has had problems with them. And they only had minor mods.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Cobra Dude said:
The fuel pumps usually go out after a new exhaust has been installed because the exhaust heat damages the insulation near the gas tank. This heat then over heats the fuel pump causing it to go out.
No. I have a near impossible time believing that Harvey. The only way I can see a Fuel Pump dying from Over Heating is if you continually run with under a half tank. Since our pumps are cooled by the fuel in the tank when the gas is low and most of the pump is not being insulated by the fuel is when Itd overheat.

No way in hell is a .125" closer exhaust pipe going to cause the Pumps to overheat....the Diff sealant maybe, but no way the pumps.

Cobra Dude

Regular
Mar 19, 2004
Go to Hawkinson after 4 PM. Leave your car outside. Go in and talk to the mechanic first. He would let you know if it can be done under warranty and he will talk to the service manager (Marty). Do not compare what others have been able to do under warranty. Let them decide if they can get it pass the factory reps. I have all of my service work done there and they know I spend a lot of money there. I keep my car in show room condition.

Cobra Dude

Regular
Mar 19, 2004
Hey Hank,
This was told to me by another member. My exhaust melted my insulation around my gas tank. I corrected the situation when the member told me to check to see if my exhaust had melted my insulation. I then moved the exhaust pipe away from the tank. The damage was already done by then.
Harvey

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info