• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Tranny problems

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
Well, it started out w/ the transmission engaging hard into reverse, I mean hard, and now it is hard going into first, second (under WOT), and third under WOT. I also heard a metallic sound that presented itself from underneath the car when accelerating. I have adjusted the clutch many times, according to the instruction manual, but I don't think this pertains to me, since the car is not grinding at all, just shifting very hard. Under normal to spirited conditions, the car shifts fine, however. Very strange. I was thinking steeda clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, but I don't think that will solve my problem.

This leads me to the final question. Does anyone have stock pulleys and cover that I could buy or just borrow to get my car fixed under warranty. I also need help getting them on. I can't afford to get this thing fixed out of warranty. Will I need to change my tune if I'm gonna put the same parts back on afterwards? Help please!!!!

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
Well, it started out w/ the transmission engaging hard into reverse, I mean hard, and now it is hard going into first, second (under WOT), and third under WOT. I also heard a metallic sound that presented itself from underneath the car when accelerating. I have adjusted the clutch many times, according to the instruction manual, but I don't think this pertains to me, since the car is not grinding at all, just shifting very hard. Under normal to spirited conditions, the car shifts fine, however. Very strange. I was thinking steeda clutch quadrant and firewall adjuster, but I don't think that will solve my problem.

This leads me to the final question. Does anyone have stock pulleys and cover that I could buy or just borrow to get my car fixed under warranty. I also need help getting them on. I can't afford to get this thing fixed out of warranty. Will I need to change my tune if I'm gonna put the same parts back on afterwards? Help please!!!!

Andy,

I have the stock pulley and cover you could borrow if needed.

LG2004Redfire

Aug 7, 2004
Sorry to hear about your tranny problems :( , I had the same thing happen to my 88 LX years ago. The real problem is when you bring it to the dealer they will just replace the worn parts sycro's and etc. My advise is to suck it up and buy the g-force 6 speed :biggthump . They sell for about $2,200.00 and will not break with the power your making. You will just break the stock unit again and who want's to take all the parts of the car for a fix that will not last.

LG

The Pun

OG CSVT Guy
TCG Premium
Apr 12, 2004
I got an extra pulley cover but no stock pulleys if you need to borrow. Let me know.

Fair Oaks wouldn't fix my vibe with the aftermarket exhaust and 18" bullits on there since the stock parts could be causing the problem even though they are not on the car. They want me to put on the stock exhaust and rims so they can find the problem. I even gave them the TSB for the newer driveshaft and found the problem myself.

I hate those guys... but love my Cobra....

cobravenom39 said:
Thanks for the replies guys, I still don't know what I'm gonna do.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Demodding your car sounds like it may be a pain. You also have an X pipe? Other goodies?

How about buying another better trans, then fixing and selling your stock one? That way you could recoup some of the $$$. Maybe you should have a pro give you an estimate on what the cost of repair will be so you at least know that before you decide to demod or purchase a better trans. Remember, there's no guarantee that a dealer won't see something and void your warranty even if you demod. Also, if you do pull and fix the trans you might want to keep the Apten cooling mod and the input shaft upgrade in mind since the trans will be out anyways. Good luck!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info