• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

any advice for tuning for a 2.8 with the predator?

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
I'm going to put on my 2.8 upper on the Cobra and I'm going to get the predator but I want to get more info on how to tune it before I get everything going. I've been told there is a tune on the predator for pulleys. But I heard it was a little more aggressive than I want to go. Can I back the timing down a little, and add some fuel to richen it up? Or is there more to it than that and should I get a custom tune? Where is the timing at stock, and where is it in that "pulley" tune on the predator? I want to be able to run the 2.8 but I want it to be on a conservative tune. Can that be done?
I'll just be running the 2.8 upper, an idler, and an open filter with tr6's pry at first. What should I expect powerwise and how do you suggest tuning it with the predator?
thanks, Shane

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Shanezam203 said:
I'm going to put on my 2.8 upper on the Cobra and I'm going to get the predator but I want to get more info on how to tune it before I get everything going. I've been told there is a tune on the predator for pulleys. But I heard it was a little more aggressive than I want to go. Can I back the timing down a little, and add some fuel to richen it up? Or is there more to it than that and should I get a custom tune? Where is the timing at stock, and where is it in that "pulley" tune on the predator? I want to be able to run the 2.8 but I want it to be on a conservative tune. Can that be done?
I'll just be running the 2.8 upper, an idler, and an open filter with tr6's pry at first. What should I expect powerwise and how do you suggest tuning it with the predator?
thanks, Shane

I used the Predator pulley tune when I did my pulley (2.76), but I took out 1% timing, added 1% fuel (2k-4k) and 2% fuel (4k-7k) just to be safe. I also immediately got it dynoed to check the A/F and logged some runs with the predator to check the timing. The timing was safe at 22 degrees, it runs 23 with the stock predator tune. The A/F from 2k-4k was a little rich so I leaned it .5% (now it's .5% richer than the stock tune). The A/F from 4k-7k was PIG RICH (less than 10:1). I wound up putting the stock fuel parameter in from 4k-7k, but it's still rich.

You could also try the 91 octane pulley program to be even safer.

I'm sure I could lean it much more, but I don't want to do it until I get on a dyno, or get me Wideband O2 to check my AF.

If you're close by, I'd be happy to show you how it works and wide I did. I have a very similar setup. My dyno #'s are in the sig, but I didn't have everything done when I dynoed (No Tr6s, idler, K&N FIPK, etc.) Plus it looks like the belt may have been slipping up top. Here's my dyno run:

Duno Runs

PM me with your phone # if you're anywhere near Oswego/Naperville and if you'd like a predator demo and we can meet up.

Larry

JSTA 46

Jul 15, 2004
I'm running 91 octane pulley tune with 15% rich 2k-4k and 4k-7k. I was told by someone on SVTperforemance.com that, i would be safe with that tune. Someone please chime n if you think thats to rich. I have no problem what ever, then again i have not had it on a dyno yet.

Tony

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
JSTA 46 said:
I'm running 91 octane pulley tune with 15% rich 2k-4k and 4k-7k. I was told by someone on SVTperforemance.com that, i would be safe with that tune. Someone please chime n if you think thats to rich. I have no problem what ever, then again i have not had it on a dyno yet.

Tony

If the A/F ratios are anything like the standard pulley tune then I would say from 4k-7k you're WAYYYYY to rich. However, it's better to be safe than sorry until you get it to a dyno.

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
JSTA 46 said:
I'm running 91 octane pulley tune with 15% rich 2k-4k and 4k-7k.
Does making the car 15% richer take much away from performance of the car? I wouldnt imagine it would. But whatever the case, reliability of the car comes first over anything. I dont want the car to have any down time, and I dont want to bring it back to the dealership. Thats why im asking all these questions now. I want to know how I can get the most out of the car, and whats a conservative set up. I'll pry take a little timing out, and add some fuel and then try to get it on the dyno and then get a custom tune. Or do some of you think I wont need a custom tune with the predator? Can I get some more info on the predator?
Thanks, Shane

G

GET READY

Custom tune

RWTD TUNES BY JAMES COST 100.00 DOLLARS BUT HE WILL GET IT RIGHT. IF NOT THE NEXT ONE FOR FREE. wHEN YOU IT DO BY YOURSELF IT IS MORE LESS ON HIT OR MISS. YOU GIVE HIM A LIST OF YOUR MODS AND HE TUNES IT ACCORDINGLY. iTS WORTH THE MONEY. I HAVE TWO TUNES BY HIM A AGGRESIVE TUNE, AND A NOT SO AGGRESIVE TUNE. SO YOU CAN PICK OUT THE ONE THAT SUITS YOUR NEEDS AT THE TIME.

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
what do I need to buy to power the predator? All it comes with is the unit and the cord with the plug in on the car. does the car power the unit on, or do I need to buy a home power cord for it??? I know I need to buy the serial cable if I want to load emailed tunes, that's like $30 right. but that doesnt power the unit on does it?
thanks, Shane

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Shanezam203 said:
what do I need to buy to power the predator? All it comes with is the unit and the cord with the plug in on the car. does the car power the unit on, or do I need to buy a home power cord for it??? I know I need to buy the serial cable if I want to load emailed tunes, that's like $30 right. but that doesnt power the unit on does it?
thanks, Shane

While it's plugged into the diagnostic port, it gets power from the vehicle.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info