• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Picked up a torch Red the other day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
DSCF0053-vi.jpg

Hey everyony I just wanted to introduce myself. Im shane and I had a 2000 Lightning now I have an 03 Tenth Torch Red and I love it. I'm from Plainfield about an hour south of Chicago. I've only had the car 2 days and I'm already modding it. Is there anyone local that I can talk to? Again I love the car and look forward to modding it.
:cool: Shane

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Welcome Shane! I still have yet to meet you. Make sure to check back for any get togethers soon, especially the Mokena meetings if you want to see some modding done. Besides those, plan on attending MSC 2.0 this fall. Even if you're still stock by then you'll have a good time.

:biggthump

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
00SVTdubs said:
you want to ride in a pullied and sprayed car???
Lets do it. St. Charles isnt far away from me at all. I'm looking to get a predator and put on my 2.8 upper. It's a "non slip ribbed pulley" so Im going to try it with that and a safe tune without any idlers. Put in an open filter, see how that goes and go from there.
;) Shane

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Shanezam203 said:
Lets do it. St. Charles isnt far away from me at all. I'm looking to get a predator and put on my 2.8 upper. It's a "non slip ribbed pulley" so Im going to try it with that and a safe tune without any idlers. Put in an open filter, see how that goes and go from there.
;) Shane

Better get yourself a Gates 74" belt also. Maybe slightly smaller if you're not using any idlers.

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
Anybody around here done the lower pulley? Everyone keeps telling me just to use my 2.8 upper and get some idlers. I dont know why I dont take them up on their offer I already have the 2.8 upper. If that's too much boost I can get a 2.93 or something, its interchangable... Where as the lower is kind of hard to get to. But has anyone done the lower pulley swap around here?
I havent gotten down there and looked yet but how is it so much harder in the cobra than the Lightning? What all is in the way other than the fan?
Also if I do a 6# lower, will I need an alternator pulley?
Thanks, Shane

SVTdubs

Banned
Mar 1, 2004
If I did it all over again, I just would have gotten an 8lb LOWER pulley. With the 6 or 8 lb lower, you will need an alternator pulley as well. I like lower pullies now because you can say you didnt change the pulley. People will look and it won't look changed. They almost never check the lower pulley!!!

Lightning Bob

Mar 2, 2004
Shane,

Congrats on the new ride. You will really like the Cobra too.
I have both an upper pulley (2.93 Lightning) and a lower pulley (6# Metco) on my 03 Cobra. Unlike the Lightning, the Cobra requires extra bracketry (about $200) to use the lower pulley, so it is a somewhat more expensive mod than on the L. In addiition, I installed the larger Metco alternator pulley (another $55?) to slow down the alternator on my car.
I look at all of the 03-04 Cobra's at car shows I go to, and bt that I see that most guys have replaced the upper pulley only (if at all). An upper only on these beasts can yield quite a bit of power with a good tune. You will pick up a lot more torque with a lower pulley too, but the RWHP won't change much.
Same as the L, go for a Chip(tuner), pulley, and filter first. Have fun with it.

Lightning Bob

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
Lightning Bob will the 4# lower pulley go on the Cobra? (it's from jlp) Or is it not even worth it? I'm sold on the upper finally. I'm going to get a sct or predator and put the 2.8 on and see if I can get by without any idlers. I'm going to go with the in the fender cai from JLT and maybe a single blade. I have to sell the parts off my truck first. I'll keep you posted. Let me know if there are any events in the new few weeks.
:D Shane

Lightning Bob

Mar 2, 2004
Shanezam203 said:
Lightning Bob will the 4# lower pulley go on the Cobra? (it's from jlp)

It should work, but.......see:
http://www.metco-inc.com/cobra/icp.shtml
The stock Cobra lower pulley cage assembly includes an idler. You will need the extra brackets to go with your pulley. I believe Metco sells them separately. You would have to call them as it is not shown separate on their website.

Shanezam203 said:
Let me know if there are any events in the new few weeks. :D Shane

The next NLOC ILLNESS club race is August 1st at Byron, I will probably be out there both Saturday and Sunday this weekend with the weather being cool. You ought to come out and check out Byron once.
I hope to get new best's from both my L and my 03 Cobra over the weekend.

L Bob

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Shanezam203 said:
Lightning Bob will the 4# lower pulley go on the Cobra? (it's from jlp) Or is it not even worth it? I'm sold on the upper finally. I'm going to get a sct or predator and put the 2.8 on and see if I can get by without any idlers. I'm going to go with the in the fender cai from JLT and maybe a single blade. I have to sell the parts off my truck first. I'll keep you posted. Let me know if there are any events in the new few weeks.

Keep in mind that if you go with an "in the fender" CAI, the orientation of the MAF may have big impacts on your A/F and/or driveability. The bend of the tube out of the fender can have a big impact if the MAF is not positioned correctly.

ILLINI-SVT

Member at Large
Mar 4, 2004
Shanezam203 said:
I have to sell the parts off my truck first.

Parts? :D Did someone mention parts for sale? For an L? What do you have and where are you posting it?

Shanezam203 said:
Let me know if there are any events in the new few weeks.

A bunch of us just met up at the Victor Ford car show last weekend. I'll shoot you a message when John announces the next Mokena meet at least!

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
gnxs said:
Keep in mind that if you go with an "in the fender" CAI, the orientation of the MAF may have big impacts on your A/F and/or driveability. The bend of the tube out of the fender can have a big impact if the MAF is not positioned correctly.
Is that something we can tune around? (make it a little richer) or is there more to it than that? I kind of like the tube to the fender look vs the open filter in the engine bay.
Thanks, Shane

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Shanezam203 said:
Is that something we can tune around? (make it a little richer) or is there more to it than that? I kind of like the tube to the fender look vs the open filter in the engine bay.
Thanks, Shane

Install the CAI with a few other mods, make sure the car is running smoothly (the MAF position, if wrong, could make it hesitate) and take it to a dyno to make sure everything is safe.

If you haven't bought a CAI already and want a fender mounted one, let me know, I'll sell you my Kenne-Bell (12 inch filter in fender) for a good price.

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
andy thanks for the pics. thats just what I had in mind. Your car looks great. :biggthump You have a similar setup to the one I'm thinking of going. I want to get a predator, I have a 2.8 upper I want to put on, and I want to get the 5.0 short throw and the jlt in the fender intake. Who does your tuning and hows the car run with those mods? I am not far from elmhurst at all, I'm curious in seeing your car and hearing your exhaust.

I had a gal come out today who does this stuff and she said she has a cobra font on her computer and she is trying to get me the lettering. Ill let you know how it looks. thanks again for your picures.

Grif054

Jun 17, 2004
Shanezam203 said:
DSCF0053-vi.jpg

Hey everyony I just wanted to introduce myself. Im shane and I had a 2000 Lightning now I have an 03 Tenth Torch Red and I love it. I'm from Plainfield about an hour south of Chicago. I've only had the car 2 days and I'm already modding it. Is there anyone local that I can talk to? Again I love the car and look forward to modding it.
:cool: Shane

Very nice coupe. Was that the one at Rod Baker Ford? If so I almost bought that one before I got the black one. Congrats! :burnout:

Shanezam203

Regular
Jul 22, 2004
10thred15-vi.jpg

it was at rod baker. it was the last of their 03's. They have a few more 04's. They were able to give me what I needed for my truck, and they cut me a deal on the car. So I couldn't pass it up. They take care of me over there. :cool1: Shane

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
Shane, I stay in Lombard now, but I am pretty close to Elmhurst. I just ordered my letters from mustangworld.com. They're the reflective ones. I now have stainless letters and I'm running Cobra R replica chrome wheels w/10.5's out back. I run these until they come out w/ 10th anny's w/ 10.5's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thread Info