• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Service update...

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
Clutch seems to be getting worse ans I have gotton tired of waiting for the "newpart" fairy, not to mention the other issues that need attention. Here is the letter I gave the service manager:

My 03 SVT Focus is having some of the "common issues" I have been reading about. She is a 2003 build date 5/28/03 with about 10,5000 miles. Still under the 12/12 and I also have the Ford Premium Warranty. Would like an accredited/certified SVT service man with SVT Focus experience to take a look at her.

Goofy idle at cold start-up? Also sputters a lot for the 1st couple of miles after the start-up. * TSB # 03-19-11 YRFO - new ecu calibration update

Under regular driving (without the air/heat on) she can't seem to keep a constant speed. Example: hit 40 in 4th and try to keep her at that point, she will surge up and down.

Excessive brake dust!!!!
Brakes also make noise/squeaking and under moderate to harder situations and they grind. The rotors are grooved pretty bad, front are not as bad but the rear are pretty hacked up. Since I am within 12 months and 12,000 miles the pads and rotors should definitely be repaired/replaced under warranty. I believe there is a service advisory out about the brake dust issue and new pads available for that issue.

There is a bunch of grease on the passenger side half shaft and above that area? Not sure what would allow the grease to leak…bad CV joint? Bad seal on the axel?

Both windows screech when being raised. Very nasty noise, not sure if it is from bad molding or if the windows are just out of alignment? Also, on the rear corner of the driver’s side window molding - there is a large piece chunked out. Creates a lot of wind noise and I would guess lets in a lot of outside water. It should be replaced.

Wheel alignment doesn’t look right. The front and rear both tip inwards, but the rear seems to be worse. Also the rear sits higher then the front? (Or I guess it could be said, the front sits lower than the rear)

At idle, a lot of grinding with a bunch of squeaking noise from the clutch. I can hear it in the car and if I put some pressure on the clutch pedal I can feel vibrations and rubbing.
*TSB #04-8-1 Noise-Transaxle- noise at idle with clutch pedal released.

While slowing down, if I have it in gear and leave my foot lightly on the clutch pedal, I can feel it moving. The pedal goes in and out and makes a bit of noise...even worse under braking? Feels like a warped flywheel.

Also, a lot of “play” in the clutch pedal. It is very loose, there’s probably a good inch before you actually feel pressure through the pedal.

Trans issues….it works but just isn’t right! Having a hard time down shifting after driving for a while and things are hot/warmed up. Also not easy getting into 2nd and 3rd after driving in stop and go traffic for a while. Reverse is always an adventure??? Could the shift fork be bent or out of alignment?

Engine compartment: The heat shield on the underside of the hood is very water damaged. Why/how is water getting under the hood? The hood appears to not be lined up when down. The liner should be replaced and the reasoning needs to be looked at.

There are a bunch of out of place noises coming from the engine area. At idle with the hood up the clutch squeaking and grinding is much louder. Also, some noise from the pulley area? This one scares me...if it were an old 5.0 I would think it is lifter noise, but this is a 2.0 DOHC. There is a tapping noise towards the top of the engine cover?
Could be fuel injection noises, but it is pretty loud and should be checked out.

Also, there are some missing parts from my car that sales was supposed to have for me. Please check with the sales manager or Tony for these items: The Owners Manual, Service book and SVT supplemental book, the top battery box piece, cigarette lighter, clamp that holds the intake tube on the throttle body, a screw that hold down the air filter box, and one of my keyless entry remotes is not programmed

That is just a sample of the issues I am currently having with the car. Please feel free to go over her top to bottom and attend to any other issues. I would like to hear what is being done to my car and how long the service will take.

Nice list!
Service manager went over it with a big frown on his face...could be interesting...

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
Called the service manager today for an update:
His words, "as for the clutch...Bad things are going on there!"
I hope I get the opportunity to see what he is talking about! They had some of it in stock, but had to order the flywheel. Said they weren't sure on the trans. but wanted to wait until the new clutch was in to re-evaluate it.
The CV joint was leaking and they had to order a whole new axel.
YRFO computer upgrade was done
New under hood liner is on order
They are turning the rotors...will be interesting if that actually solves the problem.
He told me the SVT's were spec with wheel camber...I wounder if they actually put it on the alignment machine, will have to ask?
They are looking into the window screaching and he said they will listen to the engine area again after the new clutch is in. I get the feeling the clutch was way F-ed up!
All of my "missing parts" are on order...will be interesting to see how long that takes.

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
Got her back from service the other day.
I haven’t had a lot of time/miles, but seems to drive like a different car! And she should!!!! The clutch/flywheel doesn’t make any noise now and is a lot smoother! Clutch is still a little soft, but it is still breaking in. Getting into gears and down-shifting is a lot better. There is just minor “goofy idle” at start up now and I almost don’t feel any surging while driving! Brakes are much smoother with almost no squeaking, but still produce a TON of brake dust L Windows up/down are quiet again!

Parts $910
Labor $1038
Misc. $140
Total $2088 Factory Warranty carges

PCM Recalibrate #2U7M-16A650-FYA (was told that was the newest ECU Flash)
Transmission Flywheel Assembly replacement:
FMC 2M5Z 6375 AA Split Mass Flywheel
FMC 2M5Z 7563 AA PLT & CVR ASY-CL Pre
SPO 2M5Z 7550 AA DSC ASY-CL
SPO W706117 S309 Bolt M10X56 Pan Int (4)
FMC W520203 S Nut M10 Hex FLNG
SPO 2M5Z 7E395 AE Trans Shift Cable
Replace RT Axel Shaft (Bootleak)
FMC 2M5Z 3B436 AA Shaft & Joint ASY
Hood Insulation is Distorted, replace.
SPO YS4Z 16738 CA Hood Insul PNL
FMC NPNLoaner Loaner/Rental 5 days
Disc Brake Rotor Front & Rear - Machine on Vehicle
Windows Screech – glass out of adjustment

Hope it holds this time!

Infra-Red SVT

Mar 28, 2004
Wow, is this new or did you always have problems right from the start with the car? I have to say i'm real lucky with my car so far. Just the cold start. Took care of that with the latest refash. EBC makes pads for our SVTF. Less brake dust!!! Don't have them. I'll wait until i do my brakes.Change the subject. Are you going to the Victor Ford show on the 18th of this month?

Mystic544

TimmaY
Apr 7, 2004
Peoria, AZ
Had most of the stuff come up shortly after I got her...She is doing much better now!
Almost everyone has the clutch issue and Ford hasn't come up with revised parts to fix it - so we will all be back again for that fix :mad:
I want to put different pads on too! Still have some time on my 12/12 so I will probably hit service again 1st.
Yes -- I will be up at Victor Ford! What car I bring up there will depend on the weather. I'm tring to sell my vert. so I would guess I will have that car there.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• Mystic544
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list