• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Just got back from dyno.... WTF?

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
OK, here is some back story....

My last dyno was at the dyno-day on March 20th at High Speed in Chicago Ridge. At the time my only mods were flowmaster catback and K&N FIPK.

The car as completely cooled down before my pulls and it pulled 416 hp and 395 tq, but ended up blowing my FRP sensor (some of you may remember this.)

So fast forward to today....

I have since installed a MRT off road H pipe, and just purchased the SCT flasher from Sutton High Performance. Ryan @ Sutton was cool as hell, and he managed to squeeze me in this morning for a couple of dyno pulls (with only a few days notice.) :headbang:

OK, so after a long drive, the car gets on the dyno with almost no cooldown and after 2 runs the best was 373 hp / 379 tq. WTF? I know that comparing one dyno to another is not advised, but a 40 hp LOSS??? Can the heat make that big of a difference?

So then they installed the performance tune with the flasher, and did a couple more pulls. This time it was 399 hp / 388 tq. I was extremely impressed with the gains (26 hp / 15 tq), but still wondering why I am so much lower than my first pull.

They did use a tailpipe sniffer to check A/F (they can also do wideband) and the first runs before the flasher were very rich. After the tune, it had leaned up to just about 12. They were unable to print the A/F for some reason, so they didn't charge me for it.

So here is the graph from today.
Dyno052804-small.jpg

On drive home, the car definatley felt quicker. But the idle is kinda bouncing, it will probably take a few cycles to smooth out ( I hope.)

Any input is appreciated!

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
DIsconnect battery... computer hs to relearn, beat the fuck out of it...

My personal opinion Carl... it's the new ford flash... did you have it at last dynoday?

That would explain the pg rich...

Don't fear on the dyno... remember temp can make a difference, the real thing will be the time in the 1/4 and mph.

Andy and I are meeting at oakbrook 730 sat fyi

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Flatliner said:
DIsconnect battery... computer hs to relearn, beat the fuck out of it...

My personal opinion Carl... it's the new ford flash... did you have it at last dynoday?

That would explain the pg rich...

Don't fear on the dyno... remember temp can make a difference, the real thing will be the time in the 1/4 and mph.

Andy and I are meeting at oakbrook 730 sat fyi

Good point about the stall flash, wasn't even thinking about that. I guess between that and the hot engine, the numbers would be rather low.

Yeah the before pulls were went below ten on the top end, super rich.

Who knows, I guess the only true test will be tomorrows runs. :)

I will be staying in Indiana tonight, so I will just see you guys at the track.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
1. You were extremely heat soaked from making the drive down. Massive loss of power there.

2. Different dyno. When dynoing to see results (not tuning), ALWAYS use the same dyno.

3. Different day, much hotter temps than last time

All three can add up to make some crazy, and confusing dyno numbers. Dont worry about it, your car is tuned, and your SOTP Meter says its faster. Im sure that when you go back to High Speed you'll see better numbers :)

Wiked03

CSVT OG
Mar 1, 2004
Louisville, KY
Emil said:
From looking at the graphs, why did you stop at 5500 on your first pull and 6000 on your second pull? It looks to me that the hp was still on it's way up in both cases.

With the flash for the stall fix, it would comletely fall on its face at 5500. The SCT fixed that.

As for why they stopped at 6000, I dunno. When should they stop?

shanker said:
You also forgot to have a pulley installed. Every car i ever get from now on will have some sort of pulley swap whether it has an effect or not. I've just gotten so used to saying its pullied.

Soon enough. :)

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info