• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

MM/FF Article methanol/water injection for big hp gains

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
The July issue of Muscle Mustangs/Fast Fords has an interesting article by Steve Baur on using Methanol/Water injection to cool the intake charge.

The Snow Performance Boost Cooler kit is available in two stages. Stage One is for mild boost applications and includes a lower volume pump and adjustable boost pessure switch. Stage two includes an upgraded pump, as well as a boost dependent,variable control module to adjust the flow of the methanol/water mix. With the controller, a small quantity is injected at lower levcels of boost with full injection at higher levels resulting in improved drivability. Retail prices are $299 and $399 respectively

Highlights of the article include a Vortech T trim '87 Notchback running 549rwhp 523 rwtq on 116 octane race gas. They drained the race gas and put in 93 octane Amoco. 493 hp and 477 lb/ft with A/F of 12.2.

With Boost Cooler they decreased fuel pressure and increased initial timing and ended up with---571 hp and 516 lb/ft! A/F of 12.5. Boost went up 2 psi for total of 17 psi from methane/water injection.

78 hp from $1.50 worth of methanol

After nearly a dozen runs on the dyno, we'd barely used an eigth of a tank of methanol and water
[Tank looks about twice the size of the stock intercooler tank. It's hard to tell from the pic].

www.snowperformance.net

ALSO, FREE TIP!- Car owner Andrew Sivori puts a dab of VHT on the belt to prevent slip. MM/FF said without it they would see dips in the dyno graph every three to four runs.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
I'm surprised there are no replies to this thread so far. This methanol/water injection looks to have most of the advantages of Nitrous at a much lower cost. From what the MM/FF guys said, they could have made around 96 dyno runs on one reservoir tank of methanol/water mix. And the stuff is supposed to be a lot cheaper than Nitrous. And it's just a room temp liquid so you don't need bottle warmers. It's more like hooking up a windshield washer pump and reservoir to a nozzle in the air intake to get benefits like Nitrous gives you. MM/FF got 78 extra hp.

VenomInside

Just Grazing
Jul 16, 2004
SAC/DEN/SFO/CHI/SEA/PDX
hj16 said:

Celebrating_Emoticon.gif

patriot.gif

Thank you hank!

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
03CobraCCC said:
maybe thats what Doug from BilletFlow is unveiling......he said adds HP...by car lengths........

Why would Doug be unveiling it? Snow performance makes the kit complete and Sutton is a distributor for them. :dunno:

As to real world performance, Mike (1MeanGT) has a Snow water/meth. kit on his Vortech Fox-Body and got great results (60+ rwhp increase if I remember correctly). :headbang:

A search on this site should yield the thread outlining his experience.

I believe Angel (UWishU1?) also has the kit and dropped .5 ET with his (also a FI centrifugal car). :headbang:

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
Sorry for the thread ressurection...

Anyone else here do this yet? I'm about to do some serious wrenching on my Cobra as soon as I buy everything I need from Sutton. This seems like a good insurance policy to help prevent detonation IMO, plus you pick up a few extra horses from it also. If it is worth it I will have to see if the guys at Sutton have one of these kits in stock...

zenriddles

Guns don't kill people, 'vaccines' do
Aug 18, 2005
Holiday Inn
Mean Mr Mustang said:
Sorry for the thread ressurection...

Anyone else here do this yet? I'm about to do some serious wrenching on my Cobra as soon as I buy everything I need from Sutton. This seems like a good insurance policy to help prevent detonation IMO, plus you pick up a few extra horses from it also. If it is worth it I will have to see if the guys at Sutton have one of these kits in stock...

I've been doing it for YEARS. I've Had Snow Performance under the hood for Easily 60,000 miles. Wonderful Product, Get a 5 gallon can of Methanol and it will last a LONG Time. The system only kicks in under a certain level of Boost - too early and it stifles ignition. Until I hit ~ 4 Lbs Boost the pump never kicks on, so you only draw down the tank when you're really in it.
Butt Dyno says HP Claims are real. I do it mostly to protect against detonation.

I Would highly recommend this product and I understand their New Ones are Even Better for Staging with higher boost superchargers.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
I think I might order and install this before James tunes my car. The only thing I'm debating is just getting one tune with a hobbs activating the meth at about 10 lbs, or should I just get a separate tune with meth??? I really would like to run it all the time, b/c of the lower IT and benefits for the engine.

If I were to order it, what kit and accessories should I get????

B

Boost12

I used the Meth kit on my EVO but it always made me nervis because If the car is tuned around the METH kit and the pump goes out or sumthing there goes the motor :dunno: Just the way I look at it. I would rather not risk it and just run C16 or normal race gas.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
I think I might order and install this before James tunes my car. The only thing I'm debating is just getting one tune with a hobbs activating the meth at about 10 lbs, or should I just get a separate tune with meth??? I really would like to run it all the time, b/c of the lower IT and benefits for the engine.

If I were to order it, what kit and accessories should I get????

Andy,

The Snow kits are activated by MAF voltage, not boost pressure (on our cars). You will need a custom tune for the methanol or else you'll probably hurt performance (since you'll run about .6 -.7 richer on the meth). You probably won't see too much of a performance gain, but you will certainly see lower IAT2 temps and be safer on pump gas.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Definitely get a separate tune, Andy. Lyle has a 4 position knob on his console. Each position sets a different tune. Make sure you have methanol/water in the tank, turn the knob to the meth injection tune, and away you go. When you're done playing, turn it back to normal and you don't have to worry about your pump failing or running out of methanol.

Mean Mr. M,

Last I heard, Sutton DOES have the kits in stock.

cobravenom39

GTL>FLA
Mar 1, 2004
Flyn high again said:
Definitely get a separate tune, Andy. Lyle has a 4 position knob on his console. Each position sets a different tune. Make sure you have methanol/water in the tank, turn the knob to the meth injection tune, and away you go. When you're done playing, turn it back to normal and you don't have to worry about your pump failing or running out of methanol.

Mean Mr. M,

Thanks for the replies, guys. Tell me ALL of what I needs. There's too much stuff on their website.

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004

Shane97Cobra

Addict
Apr 27, 2005
Boost12 said:
I used the Meth kit on my EVO but it always made me nervis because If the car is tuned around the METH kit and the pump goes out or sumthing there goes the motor :dunno: Just the way I look at it. I would rather not risk it and just run C16 or normal race gas.

Yeah, but fuel pumps die too. There is always going to be a flaw in any setup. I would say the meth is a much safer option than running N2O, atleast with meth, too much your only going rich, not hot.

Mean Mr Mustang

Govt. Conspirator
Nov 17, 2005
Flyn high again said:

Mean Mr. M,

When I stop by there I will most likely pick one up. Sutton is gonna love me by the time I leave there, if I get anything else from them I'm gonna need a bigger truck to haul it all home with.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info