• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Hank's Speed Inc. experience

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
cobravenom39 said:
Could take a couple minutes and explain your problem so an engine-retarded person like myself could explain it? Thanks
Ill make it easy.

The Fuel system cannot deliver enough fuel to the engine above 5500rpms... the AF goes from 11.8@5500 to 13:1 and climbing @6400. No matter how rich Jon programs it (8.4:1) EVERYTIME it gets to 5500 it goes lean to 13:1.

He did not have Autotap at the time so it is unknown whether we are running out of injector or pump, but its definately running out of something.

[So.... Probably going to pick up a KB BAP, 55s, and maybe PHP Fual Rails. To go along with a set of TR6s, RR 2.75, my AFCO HX and Billetflow Idlers. :headbang: LETS MAKE SOME POWER!!!] <---- best case scenario

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Hank,
Skip the fuel rails for now.
Stock ones are good enough for the time being.

BAP should do it, but larger injectors wouldn't hurt.

13:1 isn't all that bad, especially if you are using a tail pipe shiffer. It is actually around 12.5 to 1.

You could always just shift at 5500 ;)

I'm certain Jon knows his stuff, but just out of curiosity, what was the MAF voltage as it was starting to lean out?

Dan

SVTspeed

Apr 26, 2004
It was not the MAF, the MAFV was around 4.7....

The MAF Overvoltage test goes up to 6900 RPM with a Max V of 4.9. The Load Tables are setup to compensate for any MAF failure (and adjusted for the fuel requirements of the modified car). Lean issues because of the MAF would also not be as gradual as this lean issue was.

03CobraCCC

Mar 22, 2004
hey Dan,

when I went and got my car dyno'd over at High Speed Perf., the AF was lookin at 12.5:1 and 12.6:1 on the second run...

Im pretty sure they were using tailpipe sniffers....does this mean my AF is really in in high 11's:1? I know Ricks tunes are normally a bit agressive, and I didnt ask for a safe tune....just a Quest. so i know exactly how close i am to the edge.....Thanks!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
03CobraCCC said:
hey Dan,

when I went and got my car dyno'd over at High Speed Perf., the AF was lookin at 12.5:1 and 12.6:1 on the second run...

Im pretty sure they were using tailpipe sniffers....does this mean my AF is really in in high 11's:1? I know Ricks tunes are normally a bit agressive, and I didnt ask for a safe tune....just a Quest. so i know exactly how close i am to the edge.....Thanks!

Mike uses a Tail Pipe sniffer, as do most other places.
They have been found to be about 1/2 point lean, so your 12.5 is around 12.0 to 1

The only way to know for sure is to have bung welded into the exhaust pipe ahead of the cats and use a WB to read from there. If you have the bung, most places can read from there.
It is more accurate because the cats are not affecting the reading.
The exhaust gas can also be diluted with outside air sucked into the exhaust pipe at lower RPM's. This isn't too big a problem at higher speeds because the air is moving so fast through the pipe.

Maybe Jon can add something to this also. He surely has a lot of hands on experience with sampling both ways.

Dan

SVTspeed

Apr 26, 2004
To be honest, on most applications... I would be more worried about the load difference than the location of the wideband. Most of the full exhaust setups with DFI's are acctually pretty close to the tail pipe sniffer.

There will always be envrionmental differences. Only way to know all the time is to have a wideband and controller with gauge in the car at all times.

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
I thought tail pipe sniffers difference has to do with the placement of the sniffer in regards to catted cars... does this mean that a non catted car using tail pipe sniffers is still accurate? I thought the reason for the BONG, I mean bung... ;0) is to read it prior to cats?

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
It's an intake device for some sniffers... like cheech and chong, sorry to confuse was only a joke...

A bung however is a piece of tube usually welded/ tapped into the exhaust prior to cats to read the exhaust mixture for a/f better.... usually you have to do this for wideband

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info