• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Gears

KTs03

King of Fools
Mar 10, 2004
Thought I'd mention a subject that was brought up at the last get together in Mokena since I'm in the process of selecting which gears I'm going to swap out the old 3.55's for. Some discussions I've read say that 3.55 is just fine and should be left alone. I was considering going with a 3.73 but everytime I go to make my final decision the 4.10's come calling. However, most recently I was told that with 4.10's I probably won't make it down the 1320 without having to pop into fifth, which leaves that ratio out of the question. Any thoughts?

fearbluer1

My 4cyl just beat your 8!
Mar 2, 2004
IMO 4.10's are too much for these cars. Most blower cars run 3.55's. Its a good all around gear.

Keep in mind the higher numerically gear, the higher amount of tq you are creating. You are also changing where your tq is at in the RPM band.

Going to a 3.73 your not going to pickup much if anything at all. It's not like going from a 2.93 to 3.73. You "might" pickup a .10th in the quarter.

If you are set on a gear, honestly a 3.90 would be about it. You might pickup 2 .10th's. At least you would get something for your money.

If you decided to go with a different blower, and more hp, you might start finding yourself having to shift into 5th. When using anything higher than a 3.90

You better have some sort of tire, to make that thing hook, and then you might as well at the very least add MJChip's diff bracket. If the hubs and half shafts hold, you would be lucky. If your not lucky Level 5 halfshafts or a Live axle would then be in your near future.

I think in the long run there is money better spent elsewhere. :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• KTs03
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list