• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Finally got the FR500 exhaust on

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
OK, I finally installed the FR500 catback. Here’s my report:

The stock exhaust came off fairly easily. The pipes separated as soon as I took off the exhaust tip hanger. The hardest part was getting off the other hangers, until I figured out a trick. Lube them a bit with WD40 and use a giant pair of pliers to pop them off. Just position the pliers to push the metal posts through the hanger. It worked great. :biggthump

The FR500 is a high quality piece. It’s made with pretty thick stainless steel tubing and all the welds were perfect. It has a downstream X-pipe and the tailpipes are separate pieces. It fit very well and was just a little bit out of position compared to the stock system. Installing it was easier than removing the stock system, but there was one anomaly. The part of the passenger side pipe is VERY close to the vibration damper and part of the suspension. It's about 1/8 of an inch away, but everything is very snug and the exhaust system doesn't move. I'm hoping that it will remain this way and not get any closer, but I'll have to spot check it occasionally. :dunno:

It sounds great! It's actually pretty quiet from inside the car, even at WOT, but louder than stock. It has a nice deep, throaty growl and is very smooth at higher RPM's. It's actually a bit louder when you first start up and the exhaust system is cold, but gets quieter as it heats up. I've noticed that a lot of exhaust systems have this characteristic. There is a tiny bit of drone between 1500 to 1800 RPM's, but only when accelerating and it diminishes as the system heats up. The small amount of drone hasn’t really bothered me yet and probably won't. Also, it's almost as quiet as stock when cruising on the highway.

I'm not sure what it sounds like from outside the car though. Maybe at our next meeting, one of you can do a few drive-bys for me while I stand outside the car. I’d also like to get your opinions on how it sounds. My guess is that most of you will think it’s too quiet.

The performance gain was immediately noticeable. I really didn't expect such a big gain from an exhaust system. The engine revs much more freely and the car accelerates more quickly. It's like someone took the lead out. :burnout: I guess the stock exhaust really IS pretty restrictive.

Verdict: The FR500 is a good choice for those who want the performance gains of an aftermarket exhaust system without excessive noise.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Jim,
Good to hear that you got your new exhaust on. Thanks for the tips on removal of the stock exhaust. I'll keep them in mind when I get the Bassani. I bet your pipes get a little louder as they age. Even my stock setup is louder now than when it was new.

Hank, I do like to step on it. LOL! Practice is the best way to get better... :biggthump

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
hj16 said:
I'll nominate Cliff, he seems to have the lead foot of the group :burnout:

Yes, Cliff was the first one to come to mind, but with him driving, it would be more of a low altitude fly-by instead of a drive-by! :whip:

I think I forgot to mention that I bought this exhaust system from Mike (aka: Get Ready). I think he's been at all our meetings lately. It was too quiet for him so he gave me a great deal!

PETSNKE

DRIVEN
Mar 13, 2004
nytebyte said:
Maybe at our next meeting, one of you can do a few drive-bys for me while I stand outside the car. I’d also like to get your opinions on how it sounds. My guess is that most of you will think it’s too quiet.

We did a cat-back sound off at our SVTOA BBQ last year. One of the members got his hands on a decible meter and we took readings at 4k RPMs from 15ft behind each parked car and also at a 0-40mph drive-by. A guy with a Lightning that had JBA long tubes & cat-back was the loudest and his exhaust was even facing the opposite direction during the drive-by :eek3:

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
nytebyte said:
I'd like to see the difference between stock and aftermarket systems using a decibel meter.

I think I might be able to borrow one for our next meeting. If so, I'll bring it along.

I still have the stock exhaust so I can give the base reading. Are you coming on Sat.? I think I have my schedule switched around enough to take the day off.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Just my .2 about FRP500 DROANA MATIC! Love the perf. but the droan does get to me because it's right at 65MPH in 6th.

I've had the FRP500 for the last 2 years now and your right it is quiet because until you open it up those baffles keep it quiet. I find it kind of funny how if you just drive normaly it has a vvaaarroooom sound to it, almost Ferrari sounding. I have heard it outside the car, it does have a good growl when you hit the gas as it passes by, but only after about 3000.

My installer had to bend the hook right by the differential DOWN a bit to enable the passenger side to move to the right as he snugged up the bolts in front. It never rattles so I thought you might need know this if it starts to hit that weight on the bottom of the differential.

Some guys pull that weight off anyway. :burnout:

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Since 1964 said:
Just my .2 about FRP500 DROANA MATIC! Love the perf. but the droan does get to me because it's right at 65MPH in 6th.

There is a tiny bit of drone between 1500 and 1800 RPM's. I guess that would be right around 60 to 65 in 6th gear. However, it really isn't that bad and doesn't bother me. I'm a noise freak too and strange, abnormal noises usually drive me nuts.

Besides, everyone drives 70+ around here anyway which is out of the drone zone. :dunno:

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
gonna be at msc? i'd like to hear this combo. it was a close 2nd choice to what i have [stingers]

-john

nytebyte said:
OK, I finally installed the FR500 catback. Here’s my report:

The stock exhaust came off fairly easily. The pipes separated as soon as I took off the exhaust tip hanger. The hardest part was getting off the other hangers, until I figured out a trick. Lube them a bit with WD40 and use a giant pair of pliers to pop them off. Just position the pliers to push the metal posts through the hanger. It worked great. :biggthump

The FR500 is a high quality piece. It’s made with pretty thick stainless steel tubing and all the welds were perfect. It has a downstream X-pipe and the tailpipes are separate pieces. It fit very well and was just a little bit out of position compared to the stock system. Installing it was easier than removing the stock system, but there was one anomaly. The part of the passenger side pipe is VERY close to the vibration damper and part of the suspension. It's about 1/8 of an inch away, but everything is very snug and the exhaust system doesn't move. I'm hoping that it will remain this way and not get any closer, but I'll have to spot check it occasionally. :dunno:

It sounds great! It's actually pretty quiet from inside the car, even at WOT, but louder than stock. It has a nice deep, throaty growl and is very smooth at higher RPM's. It's actually a bit louder when you first start up and the exhaust system is cold, but gets quieter as it heats up. I've noticed that a lot of exhaust systems have this characteristic. There is a tiny bit of drone between 1500 to 1800 RPM's, but only when accelerating and it diminishes as the system heats up. The small amount of drone hasn’t really bothered me yet and probably won't. Also, it's almost as quiet as stock when cruising on the highway.

I'm not sure what it sounds like from outside the car though. Maybe at our next meeting, one of you can do a few drive-bys for me while I stand outside the car. I’d also like to get your opinions on how it sounds. My guess is that most of you will think it’s too quiet.

The performance gain was immediately noticeable. I really didn't expect such a big gain from an exhaust system. The engine revs much more freely and the car accelerates more quickly. It's like someone took the lead out. :burnout: I guess the stock exhaust really IS pretty restrictive.

Verdict: The FR500 is a good choice for those who want the performance gains of an aftermarket exhaust system without excessive noise.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I was there and somebody asked to hear the FR500. Was that you?

I also had somebody sit in my car and hit the gas while I listened from behind the car. That was the first time I heard the exhaust from OUTSIDE the car.

It was MUCH louder than I expected. It sounds absolutely wicked and not even close to stock! The FR500 exhaust can be a little misleading since it sounds so quiet from inside the car. It's completely different from outside though! :hail:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info