• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

spark plug question

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
What ain't no country I ever heard of
Pulled my plugs after I got home to check em out. (Im going to send the chip to Rick to have him richen it up a full point across the chart.) Anyway I have 3 plugs that have some carbon tracking on the white insulator surrounding the electrode. This should not be in my opinion. Im running TR6s at 035. Anybody else have this? Im going to dyno again in a couple of weeks after i get the chip back. I was thinking of trying the stock plugs-Im not that happy with these. Also looks as if the tip of the plug is off center of the electrode on some of the plugs. Lyle

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
Im too lean and Rick supposedly tuned for a 2.8. Glad that wasnt on there.

3000 15.1
3500 14.0
4000 13.4
4500 13.0
5000 12.6
5500 12.2
6000 12.0
6400 11.6

I want to be conservative- I really want a curve that drops to 11.4 at 3000 and stays there until 6400.

The curve was richer all the way up but im not happy with it- I want it to drop drastically at 3000 to 11.4 and hold there. Not slope.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
dun4791 said:
Im too lean and Rick supposedly tuned for a 2.8. Glad that wasnt on there.

3000 15.1
3500 14.0
4000 13.4
4500 13.0
5000 12.6
5500 12.2
6000 12.0
6400 11.6
Do yourself a favor and get a real tune...not some mail order Bullshit by a joke of a tuner. No offense if you have some loyalty to AR.

Jim Bell himself even called AR a joke....that says alot

dun4791

gypsy is a whore!
Mar 2, 2004
Hank I agree its worth it-but there is no way I have the time to drive my car to Texas-as much fun as it sounds.

I thought Cobra Jack was using a custom tune on the predator-not one that came with the predator.

Im going to send the Revolution chip back to AR and see if they can get it where I want it. They have my curves to nail it down now-hopefully where i want it.

2500 14.0
3000 13.0
3500 12.0
4000 11.4
through 6400

Thats what I want im going to see if Rick can nail it for me. I have the time to keep sending it back-but the dyno cost not to mention my time is where the real cost is for me, so i hope he can get it right on the 2nd try.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Not having owned a Predator, all I can do is repeat the information I have learned so far.
If you start with a relatively good tune in the Predator, you're ok. You can massage it some to improve it from there.

The Predator modifies the entire RPM band by what ever you want to do. I does not correct an A/F mixture that is bad at one point without changing the point that it is ok at.
With Lyle's A/F above, he could richen the lower ranges (below 4000 RPM, where it is a little lean) but that would also change the area above 4000 RPMs where it is currently ok. This is undesireable.
Same with timing. You can add or subtract timing, but it does it across the board, not in specific segments.

Dana

Flatliner

I'm kind of a big deal...
Mar 3, 2004
Dana I am sure you nailed it right on the head, I am sorry if I confused, but thanks for the clarification. Jack was also talking about another system similar to the predator, but I think it was made by superchips that you can make the adjustments at all points, I think the cost on this one was about $700, but can't remember, has anyuone had any experience with this? I think the tuning would be done right from a laptop...

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
He may be referring to the SCT tuner package.
I ordered one last week.
I hope to have it fairly soon.
I'll let you know how it is.
It's almost $800, but you can see and adjust many parameters to help you achieve the right tune.
It isn't for everyone though. It takes a while to learn your way around in the PCM.

It uses a laptop.

Dana

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
hj16 said:
Thats what Dan is getting. He can be our local tuner we've been looking for :p
Sorry Hank, I have no intentions of becoming a tuner, local or otherwise.
You need a lot of experience and skill and very few people have that, myself included. And the smart ones are the ones that know this and know their limitations.
If I blow my own engine that is one thing, someone else's is another.

Dan

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
Dana said:
Sorry Hank, I have no intentions of becoming a tuner, local or otherwise.
You need a lot of experience and skill and very few people have that, myself included. And the smart ones are the ones that know this and know their limitations.
If I blow my own engine that is one thing, someone else's is another.

Dan
I know Dan. But I guess somebody didnt realize I was joking :rolleyes: And we both know who that is

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info