• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Learn me about Capri's please!!!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I PM'ed him also :bowrofl:, but figured I'd make a thread in case anyone else can shine some light on it.

Test driving this thing tonight, picking it up Sat assuming it's mechanically sound. It looks like a total piece of shit though so I'll be scrapping the shell most likely (Multiple different colored body panels, rear quarter rust, cracked dash, floor pans were replaced). Just want the Motor/Trans/Starter/Wiring and he is tossing in a spare set of explorer heads and manifolds. I need a good T5, and wouldn't mind switching blocks if these thing is that much better than my explorers bottom end.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
why use it for parts if its driving? body in shit condition?

I have a project lined up for April that is a little more my style than the Capri, aside from the fact that it looks like hell.

What year Capri? The 5.0 motors that had valve to piston clearance issues were the ones without valve reliefs in the pistons from the factory ('86 I believe). Those motors also had a higher compression ratio. I doubt it comes with the "world class" version T5.

This is an 86. I'm only running 1.6 RR's though, not the 1.72's that I see commonly referenced as having issues. IIRC with 1.6's I'm safe?

I'm not sure about the WC trans either. It's not a deal breaker since I need a T-5 regardless and this one supposedly has no issues, that's good enough for me to get started with.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You would be safe. Just be sure to run good valve springs and have them set up EXACTLY to what the cam manufacturer suggests.

I'm running a full CompCams kit in my current motor along with a set of ProForm 1.6 Roller Rockers.

Cam/Double Valve springs/Roller Lifters/Retainers/etc are all CompCams.

Assuming I pick this thing up I'd end up with the Stronger/Higher compression 86 bottom end with my Fresh heads on it and my mild cam in it... Should be a VERY stout budget drivetrain.

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
Sounds fair enough. I would just double check all of the spring pressures at max lift, installed heights etc. Just to be sure you don't risk floating a valve when you decide to beat on it.

Non world class t5's are cheap and plentiful, so if you break this one its not really a big $$$ issue. If I wasn't reusing my Tremec setup it would be all yours.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Sounds fair enough. I would just double check all of the spring pressures at max lift, installed heights etc. Just to be sure you don't risk floating a valve when you decide to beat on it.

Non world class t5's are cheap and plentiful, so if you break this one its not really a big $$$ issue. If I wasn't reusing my Tremec setup it would be all yours.

Not sure how to double check spring pressures at max lift :picard: :tear:

Side note:
Don't you work for a machine shop? Are you able to pressure test/deck heads?

PM me if this is something you'd be willing to take on before I just dump the heads off at Opel.

Back to normal programming:
As far as checking them at max lift goes, I assume the motor has to be assembled, would you be willing to swing out sometime to lend a hand?

C.Evans

TCG Elite Member
May 21, 2011
Sycamore, IL
Not sure how to double check spring pressures at max lift :picard: :tear:

Side note:
Don't you work for a machine shop? Are you able to pressure test/deck heads?

PM me if this is something you'd be willing to take on before I just dump the heads off at Opel.

Back to normal programming:
As far as checking them at max lift goes, I assume the motor has to be assembled, would you be willing to swing out sometime to lend a hand?

I don't work for an engine machine shop, but rather a CNC machine shop.

Engine does not have to be assembled to set up the heads. Opel can do this for really cheap I'd imagine (never taken any of my stuff there). Just bring them the heads you want set up and your cam card.To get it to the desired pressures they will either shim underneath each valve spring, or remove material from the cylinder head under the valve spring. Too much spring pressure isn't good either.

In all honesty, I would just stick with the explorer motor topped with the gt-40 heads.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I don't work for an engine machine shop, but rather a CNC machine shop.

My Girlfriends family owns one, so that doesn't do me any good sadly :hs:.

In all honesty, I would just stick with the explorer motor topped with the gt-40 heads.

Looks like that is the road I'm taking since Pratt confirmed this block is nothing special. I don't have crazy high goals anyways so it's no biggie.

greasy

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Jun 25, 2007
Dasfinc this is not an attack , but rather a serious question.

Is there a reason why you want to take on a project like this? It seems like you want to build something less than what you have in the Mustang, that you will abandon it shortly there after, and sell it off. Why not try and put something together that has a bigger end result than 300WHP? I am not saying to build a 1000RWHP monster, but something that will hold your interest much longer down the road.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
Dasfinc this is not an attack , but rather a serious question.

Is there a reason why you want to take on a project like this? It seems like you want to build something less than what you have in the Mustang, that you will abandon it shortly there after, and sell it off. Why not try and put something together that has a bigger end result than 300WHP? I am not saying to build a 1000RWHP monster, but something that will hold your interest much longer down the road.

The Capri is getting scrapped, I just want the trans and a pile of other items off the car. The project I have lined up is not intended to be a drag machine, but a unique DD that may see some Auto-X/Road course time as I'd like to see what that is like.

Ramble on why I'm doing another mild project:

I fully intend to leave the mustang as stock as possible and trade it in toward a 07-09 GT500 in 2-3 years. The 3 valve motor has the same issue as the 5.0, they can't reliably put down more than 400whp or so which comes to a "Go big or Go home" type scenario. The early GT500's are nose-diving in price, and will continue to drop over the next year or so with the introduction of the 2013's. I prefer the styling of the 07-09 GT500's over any others, and they can cut stupid fast 1/4th times with minimal mods and a tire.

The best investment in my eyes is to enjoy my GT as it sits. I wanted something newer and nicer to drive and didn't want to wait another 2-3 years to pickup a Cobra when I could buy my GT and already not be underwater on the car with $0 down by buying it off-season. By starting a mild budget project to keep me occupied, it will help me keep my hands out of the mustang while I save money toward a GT500.

And if I get bored enough with this project before it's time to go cobra hunting I'll pick up a bike, I got my M-class, might as well make use of it.

BillyBru

FoodHead
Apr 29, 2008
Here's some Capri's in the shower. :bowrofl:

22432-1312733446-Red-and-White-striped-shirt-that-say-%22Always-Unique-Never-Boring%22-and-dark-jean-capris.jpg

sorry I had to. :io:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info