• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Where should I bring my Motor?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
5.0 SBF, Long block minus accessories and intake manifold.

Want to just pay someone to test it to make sure it's OK before I go pulling the heads off for no reason. After starting my other thread and hearing that there are some weird HG issues that can cause comp and leakdown tests to still pass, I just want to make sure everything is 100% beyond a doubt perfect before I put this motor in the new platform.

If it isn't OK (I assume it's not from the coolant issue etc), I'd like them to pull the heads, clean (ala resurface/mill/whatever), check, maybe mildly port, and test them. I'd also the same for the block basically without totally tearing it down (Rings/Bearings should all be fine, and the truck didn't have oil consumption issues, but if need be I'd get it done as well).

Anyone got a ball-park price for this? Suggested shops? I'm REALLY sorry if I've asked this in the past (I feel like I may have like 2 years ago), but didn't find a thread, and there may be new/different shops to recommend by now.

*Edit

No interest in going forged anything on this motor. Staying stock block and the stock rods/crank/pistons have no problem pushing block cracking power, still a budget build, just want to make sure the motor will be problem free once it's all back together. Once it's in the explorer I want to be done fucking with it so I can enjoy my year doing things other than being under my truck.

Chester Copperpot

Unvaxxed Untermensch
TCG Premium
May 7, 2010
Blanco el Norte
+1 on Opel. I took my LS3 heads there for some milling to keep my stock compression and they had them done the next day. Only $100 too. I asked them how much their porting and polishing would have cost and he told me straight to my face it would be a waste because the LS3 heads already flow phenomenally and that I'd be wasting $600.

Great guys.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
*Edit

No interest in going forged anything on this motor. Staying stock block and the stock rods/crank/pistons have no problem pushing block cracking power,

What year and vehicle did it come out of? 87-92 H.O. Mustang engines have factory forged pistons. And those will handle more than the block will.

Or is that what you already said right there?

i have heard good things about precision engine in plainfield they do lot of ford stuff

I used to work there doing cleaning/disassembly,testing, and mill lathe.

they do good work, but ill be honest with you, if your worried on turn around time, then go elsewhere. Most stuff was there at least a week.

price wise... i couldnt tell you. PER wasnt cheap, but not overly expensive.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
What year and vehicle did it come out of? 87-92 H.O. Mustang engines have factory forged pistons. And those will handle more than the block will.

Or is that what you already said right there?

It's a 1998 Explorer GT-40P Motor, so it is not forged. This is also part of the reason why I'm probably going back to N/A.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info