• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Where can I bring my Transmission to get the "J-Mod"

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
As the title says, Looking to get my 4R70W J-modded since it needs a new trans pan and will be out of a truck all winter.

Atomic doesn't do any performance stuff, so I was curious if anyone had any recommendations? Would be a bench job, and I'd imagine I can buy the kit online?

Or is there anyone on here that knows how to do it themselves and would feel comfortable doing it?

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
May I ask what the J-mod is out of curiosity?

To my understanding it's a Drilled out separator plate in the transmission valve body, to allow for more fluid flow and firmer shifts while retaining the stock design.

It's a free mod, but I don't feel comfortable tearing apart anything without experience in a transmission even if its on a bench.

Turbocharged400sbc

3800 & 4T80E > ALL
TCG Premium
Jun 16, 2007
hangover park IL
did it on johns crown tit a while ago....took longer to drain and fill than it did to drop valvebody/accumulators and drill the holes...use good bits and if you have a countersink you can hit em lightly

hell john left a spare pair of gaskets that you need, over here somewhere....prob in with all my engine gasket sets. and two drill bits.
at most you might need a dab of petroleum jelly for assembly

hellraiser319

Hellraising since 1986
May 17, 2010
West Bend, WI
Depending on the year of trans, its usually pretty easy. Hell, the vic, I even swapped out the pressure regulator valve, all I needed was a pick to get the retaining clip out. Hardest part was the 1-2 accumulator, but if you have a bottle jack and a good pair of snap ring pliers, you are golden. GOOD snap ring pliers. I broke 2 pairs of cheap ones..

DarkShadow

o.O
TCG Premium
Aug 1, 2007
Berkeley, IL
did it on johns crown tit a while ago....took longer to drain and fill than it did to drop valvebody/accumulators and drill the holes...use good bits and if you have a countersink you can hit em lightly

hell john left a spare pair of gaskets that you need, over here somewhere....prob in with all my engine gasket sets. and two drill bits.

:squint:

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
You can do a motorswap but cant do a Jmod?

Its very easy, ill help

Transmission work spooks me.

j-mod is fairly easy.

give me a call. i can have it done in a afternoon.

Rock on.

On a side-note, its a 1997 transmission, and there were a bunch of changes in 1998. Does anyone know what year the changes made it stronger? I don't want to invest a penny into this 97 transmission if a 98 is that much better.

I'd happily drop a few hundred dollars on a 98-01 2wd trans if its stronger AND I can make use of the wiring easier (right now there are some issues I've been having on my old setup because its a 97 transmission an an 01 ECU.... in 1998 the wiring all changed.....)

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL

hit me up with how much you'd charge me to do it if I brought the thing to you if you'd feel comfortable doing it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info