• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

My 351w

Ole67Mustang

May 23, 2011
HMD
Okay I am going to put in a 351w into my mustang soon, and im not sure exactly how i wanna build it up. i wanna run somewhere in the 12's quarter but i want a street/strip engine. Its going into my 67 mustang coupe which only weighs 2750 with a I6 right now it has a c4 tranny. so with good power it should be pretty easy to go fast.

Okay parts i already have: 650 Holley carb, mild cam, gt-40 heads.

Also I was looking at these hooker dark side headers wondering if they are any good. I need a good exhaust system also wanted to put electric cutouts also but don't know which i should.
Thanks dave

Ole67Mustang

May 23, 2011
HMD
okay i have another thing. My buddy said this is what i would have to do to run 12's and he said it would be harder to run 12's i think hes wrong.
"first, dump the GT40 heads, sell them to someone building a 289 or 302, and get yourself a set of world products windsor sr heads, or a set of afr 205s, or even the edelbrock victor jr heads.

you mentioned a mild cam, what specs? you are going to want a cam that works in the 1500-6500 rpm range to get into the 12's. understand that the rear end will need to be upgraded to a healthy 8" at least, a 9" would be better in this case.

you are also going to want to upgrade to a 750cfm carb as well, the 650 wont be enough.

as for headers, you are going to want a header with a 1 5/8" primary tube, 1 3/4" is better, and a 3" to 3 1/2" collector.

as for an intake, you want at least a weiand stealth intake or an edelbrock performer rpm air gap intake. with around 10:1 compression, you should be making about 450-500hp depending on how well you can tune the engine combination. with 3.89 gears and decent tires, that should get you into the high 12s."

CrunkMaro

DurkaDurkaTerrorist
Jun 17, 2010
yea those are the ones, yea i was just asking about them to see if they were any good. I want cutouts so i can be loud when i wanted to and quieter when i wanna change. most cutouts when i go to the track cos i heard it runs better with open cutouts. but i could of been misinformed.

its a 50/50 thing. some run quicker some run slower. i ran slower on 3 cars and ran quicker on 1 car.

okay i have another thing. My buddy said this is what i would have to do to run 12's and he said it would be harder to run 12's i think hes wrong.
"first, dump the GT40 heads, sell them to someone building a 289 or 302, and get yourself a set of world products windsor sr heads, or a set of afr 205s, or even the edelbrock victor jr heads.

you mentioned a mild cam, what specs? you are going to want a cam that works in the 1500-6500 rpm range to get into the 12's. understand that the rear end will need to be upgraded to a healthy 8" at least, a 9" would be better in this case.

you are also going to want to upgrade to a 750cfm carb as well, the 650 wont be enough.

as for headers, you are going to want a header with a 1 5/8" primary tube, 1 3/4" is better, and a 3" to 3 1/2" collector.

as for an intake, you want at least a weiand stealth intake or an edelbrock performer rpm air gap intake. with around 10:1 compression, you should be making about 450-500hp depending on how well you can tune the engine combination. with 3.89 gears and decent tires, that should get you into the high 12s."

first, dump the GT40 heads, sell them to someone building a 289 or 302, and get yourself a set of world products windsor sr heads, or a set of afr 205s, or even the edelbrock victor jr heads.

i wouldn't get the edeljunk heads. afrs are nice, but afr 205? if you got a couple grand to blow go ahead and put really nice heads on a stock bottom end windsor

i would also like to know what kind of cam. the range that your buddy specified is a damn near stock range as far as powerband lol...at least the lower limits.
i thought 67 mustangs came with 9" rears? if your wheel flange has 2 large holes and a counter sunk center than you have 31 spline axles.
if not, then look for one out of a 66-71 torino/ranchero.

i don't know shit about carbs.

the headers that you picked fit that criteria.

as for an intake, you want at least a weiand stealth intake or an edelbrock performer rpm air gap intake. with around 10:1 compression, you should be making about 450-500hp depending on how well you can tune the engine combination. with 3.89 gears and decent tires, that should get you into the high 12s.

edelJUNK.
no offense but your buddy is an idiot if he thinks that 3.89s, 450hp and sticky tires in a 2700lb car will only get you high 12s.

there are stock 351w with B cam (lol) that runs mid 12s in a foxbody that weighs 3300+.

you don't need 450hp sticky tires and short ass gears to run high 12s in a car that weighs less than 3k...
stock ls1s puttin down 300 at the wheels are pullin off high 12s in cars that weigh 3500 with 2.73s lol

peak hp doesn't mean much when it comes to racing.

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Aft 205s would be WAYYYYYYYY to much head for that engine. 185s at the absolute most. But u can do it with a GT40. You can hit 12s with an E cam. You don't need anywhere near 500 to hit 12s. The weiand stealth is a decent intake, but more matched for a 650 carb if I remember correctly. I haven't dealt with a carb in years so this is off memory. Im not sure what rear thy car has in it, but the fox 8.8 from the factory is good enough to handle 12s. Idk what ur buddy is thinking, but 12s are NOT that fast. With those mods on a 4.10 gear with the right converter on good suspension and tire you should hit 12s all day. Power doesn't mean much if you can't hook.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info