• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Valve Float

Anyone have any input on how hard/far you can wind out a stock GT40P Headed 5.0 motor? Stock redline is only 5K for the explorer ECU (Due to the cam), Mustang's are like 5500 or so, just curious how hard far out I can push it before it starts floating (Stock explorer springs)?

When it get removed, buy a performance cam with the matched springs to it. The cam manufacture could then advise you on what a safe level is.

My .02 cents.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
Stock cam? = 6000 rpms is safe/fair.

Higher lift cams, the Rpms drop dramatically with additional lift.

Also, heat matters. Run a cold thermostat if you plan on spinning it up with stock springs. 160 is recommended.

If you do that be wary of engine/trans temps..let it warm up well before getting into the throttle. Oil doesn't work as well under 180F.

In my experience, a good cooling system with a 180 stat is much better than a stock cooling system with a 160 in it.

Good heat extraction = more available power.

If you want to make the build a bit more bulletproof, a quick way to hot rod the oiling would be to run a mechanical roller cam and roller rockers...then install oil restrictors to the lifter oil feeds. Keeps the oil pressure on the rods and mains where you want it, and you can hit higher revs w/o starving the pan. I'd worry about that kind of stuff before worrying about valve float!

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I had a TFS stage 1 cam with stock GT40 heads/springs and I went up to 5500 no problem. On a stock cam you prob are making peak power before that so there really isn't a point to rev it out higher.

With the blower I had hit 4600RPM and was still climbing fairly rapidly. I'll get it back to the dyno again in June with the new tune, and a smaller pulley

If you want to make the build a bit more bulletproof, a quick way to hot rod the oiling would be to run a mechanical roller cam and roller rockers...then install oil restrictors to the lifter oil feeds. Keeps the oil pressure on the rods and mains where you want it, and you can hit higher revs w/o starving the pan. I'd worry about that kind of stuff before worrying about valve float!

My motor already has a roller cam IIRC, I had read a few articles saying the explorer GT40 springs were garbage from the start and would be a limiting factor.

Ron Vogel

TCG Elite Member
Jul 12, 2007
Aurora
Real Name
Ron Vogel
You car has a roller hydraulic, not a solid roller lifter. You can't restrict the lifter feed on hyd lifters.

You make more power on a mechanical, but the flipside is you have to adjust lash periodically. I ran a mechanical on the street in a DD before, the extra adjusting was no big deal.

Since it's small-block Ford, you should have no problem sourcing a decent mechanical roller for little $$$.

machausta

Slow VW driver
Sep 18, 2009
Eastern Tennessee
UGH, I'll take the pushrod simplicity, Winsor goodness, and aftermarket support over the mod motor family anyday.

...and when you hit ~450 WHP the block splits in half.

Mod motors can handle twice that, though the rotating assembly royally sucks.

On the bright side, mod motors are getting cheaper to build nowadays, and pushrod 5.0s are more expensive.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I get simplicity, but come on, EVERYONE and their uncle has a pushrod windsor. Everything that can be done, has been done. It's boring.

I'd like to think that my blown windsor powered ranger is far from boring :rollpicard:

(I know what you are saying, but regardless I stuck with a tried and true engine for something truely unique)

Sprayin

Public Enemy #1
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
I'd like to think that my blown windsor powered ranger is far from boring :rollpicard:

(I know what you are saying, but regardless I stuck with a tried and true engine for something truely unique)

I think my pushrod powered Fiero is far from boring too. Im just saying im sick of 5.0s. Every time I see one its the same ol setup. You can look at someones setup and know how much it puts down and how fast it goes almost to a T.

Dasfinc

Ready for the EVlution
Sep 28, 2007
Wheaton, IL
I'd be bored with less power then
my 2.0

Everyone that see's the truck in person loves it, I can't help but laugh at the internet hate :s00ls:

Did your 2.0 start off in another car Naturally aspirated?

did you swap the 2.0 into a car that never had it, and then added forced induction to an engine that was never boosted?

Nope, you bought it that way. :dunno:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info