• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

98 Cobra Engine Swap

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Looking at getting a 98 Cobra with bad engine. Looking at getting a wreck to salvage good running engine. What other models had 4v engines that are a direct swap (but cheaper )... Aviator, Marauder, or possible 99-01 Cobras.

I believe the 96-98 Cobra had the Teksid block is it worth trying to salvage that block and using the internals from donor engine for a potential 500-600 build?

Do they all have the B heads?

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Lincoln Mark 8 from 93 to 98 have B heads and teksid block with flat top pistons. I do recommend getting this engine block but not the B heads since C heads flow much better than this.
96 to 98 cobras is the same deal.
99 to 01 cobra have WAP aluminum block with C heads, this would be a much better option because C heads, the WAP block is good for stock hp numbers, if you're planning for over 400 horses I suggest teksid.
Marauders 03 04. They have a 2nd gen WAP alum block with 2nd gen C heads which are revised for better air flow. This is the best option since you can get 305 horses out of this swap all stock.
Mach 1 mustang, they have the exact same engine than marauders except if you find one from a manual trans, if a mach 1 has manual trans the engine has forged crank shaft, if automatic it's all the same thing as a marauder.
Cobra 03 04, well you know this is terminator engine, iron block forged internals and same C heads than any other 03 04 DOHC engine, it also has an Eaton m112 supercharger. If you have cash to spend this is your best option is a direct swap.
Aviator 03 to 05 they have the same large block than the marauder and mach 1, the intake is taller and it won't work with your hood, you will need mustang or marauder intake.
99 to 2002 Lincoln continental they have the same C heads than 99_01 cobras, they also have a teksid block but this one is useless since the bolt pattern in the trans is differe to acomodate a front wheel drive trans. They are easy to come by in junk yards..
And for last but not least the Navigators, a 5.4 DOHC engine with C heads. The C heads are not the same as the rest because has bigger ports due to 5.4 stroke, very few mustang guys have swapped this whole engine in Mustangs. This is probably the least desired swap since it involves a lot of work to make it fit.
Just your luck, there is a marauder at the LKQ IN North ave, engine still there. Also there's an aviator at the victory yard in Bensenville.

rowekmr

Addict
Jan 8, 2012
Chicago
Thanks for the run down.

Maybe I should have said the Cobra already has a supercharger (Vortech I believe) so I wanted a stock assembly that could live reliably under the boost.
The Mach 1's price seem to be higher/est
The Marauders almost but like the Mach 1 with auto trans have the cast crank right? Can that crank take 450-550hp?

The Mark VIII is the cheapest not sure of that crank?

I was thinking Aviator they seem to be right above the price of the Mark VIII and newer (don't know if that matters) and I have all the parts off of the donor engine that I can use to make it work.

I saw a post by someone who used a fwd Continental engine but had a trans mount adapter bolted on.

Lincoln Mark 8 from 93 to 98 have B heads and teksid block with flat top pistons. I do recommend getting this engine block but not the B heads since C heads flow much better than this.
96 to 98 cobras is the same deal.
99 to 01 cobra have WAP aluminum block with C heads, this would be a much better option because C heads, the WAP block is good for stock hp numbers, if you're planning for over 400 horses I suggest teksid.
Marauders 03 04. They have a 2nd gen WAP alum block with 2nd gen C heads which are revised for better air flow. This is the best option since you can get 305 horses out of this swap all stock.
Mach 1 mustang, they have the exact same engine than marauders except if you find one from a manual trans, if a mach 1 has manual trans the engine has forged crank shaft, if automatic it's all the same thing as a marauder.
Cobra 03 04, well you know this is terminator engine, iron block forged internals and same C heads than any other 03 04 DOHC engine, it also has an Eaton m112 supercharger. If you have cash to spend this is your best option is a direct swap.
Aviator 03 to 05 they have the same large block than the marauder and mach 1, the intake is taller and it won't work with your hood, you will need mustang or marauder intake.
99 to 2002 Lincoln continental they have the same C heads than 99_01 cobras, they also have a teksid block but this one is useless since the bolt pattern in the trans is differe to acomodate a front wheel drive trans. They are easy to come by in junk yards..
And for last but not least the Navigators, a 5.4 DOHC engine with C heads. The C heads are not the same as the rest because has bigger ports due to 5.4 stroke, very few mustang guys have swapped this whole engine in Mustangs. This is probably the least desired swap since it involves a lot of work to make it fit.
Just your luck, there is a marauder at the LKQ IN North ave, engine still there. Also there's an aviator at the victory yard in Bensenville.

GoldPanther

♫Please press 1 for more options♫
TCG Premium
Oct 8, 2013
Addison
Real Name
Daniel
Yeah there's one guy who used to make an adaptor to for a RWD trans in a continental engine, where to buy it and how reliable it is? Who knows.
About the mach 1 with auto trans, yes the crank shaft is cast crank not forged.
I cannot tell for experience but I've seen guys with supercharged marauders with stock bottom and no issues. I've read in many articles and even some knowledgeable guys have told me that a cast crank is good up to 600 horses, the problem is none forged rods and piston, they can only handle past 400 not more than 500 safelly.
Me I'm just rocking a grand marquis with a marauder engine swap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info