• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Emissions question

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL
Has anyone heard of sct tunes not passing emissions? Because I passed two years ago with the same setup I have now, but I didn't pass this year...and I also want to know if I can pass with long tubes and off road x pipe with o2 simulators?

The emissions standards changed recently in IL. Because of that, since the way SCT tunes turn off the DTC codes, tuned Fords will not pass emissions if they have had their cats removed and the codes set to not report. I am not aware if Diablo tuned Ford cars are having this issue, but I assume they are as well.

blakbearddelite

I'm not one of your 'shit-hole' buddies!
TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I just got caught with this bullshit too.

I've never had a problem with my tune until this year. I failed my emissions testing because my o2 sensors are turned off. The only good news is that I should pass since I switched to a catted x-pipe a few years ago.

Now I just have to find someone that can turn my 02 sensors back on.

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
Yup, I'm just about to call MPH back because I really need them to revise my tune. If I don't re-new by the end of the month, the state will charge another $20 fee.

Please keep us (me especially) posted on what Tim says! I called there today and the lady said I have to talk to Tim directly and he didn't answer his phone :(

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
I guess I got lucky because he answered for me. He asked me to get all the info I could to him and he'd look through his records to see if he could find my tune from 2006.

Even if he can't find it, shouldnt he be able to get it from my Xcal or car?

Teege24

TCG Elite Member
Staff member
TCG Premium
Event Coordinator
Aug 14, 2011
Cary
I guess I got lucky because he answered for me. He asked me to get all the info I could to him and he'd look through his records to see if he could find my tune from 2006.

You would think so? but I can't say for sure

rocket5979

Gearhead
Nov 15, 2005
Round Lake, IL

Yes and no. The filetype that is uploaded to the car is a .ll3 file, which is not readable by the SCT Advantage custom tuning software, because it is an output end-user file only. The readable file that can be opened by Advantage is a .zcf or .mtf file. The reason for this is that it minimizes intellectual property theft by other tuners simply pulling a tune from the car and copying another tuner's work. It doesn't matter that the tuner was the original person who exported the .ll3 end-user file in the first place.

There is some sort of funky .bin dump process that an SCT dealer friend of mine told me about once, but I don't know all the details of it.

He is very likely to still have a copy of your tunefile on his computer. I still have every single one of my former customer's tunefiles that I created for them, and my records go back to 2005. Most custom tuners do this out of habit since the files themselves aren't large.

blakbearddelite

TCG Premium
Jun 28, 2007
FL
Yes and no. The filetype that is uploaded to the car is a .ll3 file, which is not readable by the SCT Advantage custom tuning software, because it is an output end-user file only. The readable file that can be opened by Advantage is a .zcf or .mtf file. The reason for this is that it minimizes intellectual property theft by other tuners simply pulling a tune from the car and copying another tuner's work. It doesn't matter that the tuner was the original person who exported the .ll3 end-user file in the first place.

There is some sort of funky .bin dump process that an SCT dealer friend of mine told me about once, but I don't know all the details of it.

He is very likely to still have a copy of your tunefile on his computer. I still have every single one of my former customer's tunefiles that I created for them, and my records go back to 2005. Most custom tuners do this out of habit since the files themselves aren't large.

I had a separate guy tune my transmission after getting an engine tune from MPH. The transmission guy was able to 'break in' to the MPH tune to and see it to make adjustments. So I know that people can get around any proprietary lock a tuner may try and put on the device.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info