• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Fox trans suggestions .

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
I might buy a built liberty tremec 3550 (26 spline input 31 spline output) that's been faceplated . Does anybody have any experience with 3550's and do they hold up ? I heard the 3550 was originally a ford truck trans
, is that true ?

Guy said it should bolt right up , but would have to change the yoke on my driveshaft (not a big deal ) But I am not sure about the front of the trans bolting up . Any info on that ? . I am also will be going to a different clutch to (not a big deal) . Also concerned about the trans crossmember .

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
Strip/street . Some street use . Will be my dragstrip toy . Want to be able drive it there . I'm shoot for about 500ish hp not sure what the torque will end up being yet , still building engine . Will be using at least drag radials at the track , probably end up running slicks this coming up season .

I was told 2nd 3rd and 4th have been faceplated .

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
Strip/street . Some street use . Will be my dragstrip toy . Want to be able drive it there . I'm shoot for about 500ish hp not sure what the torque will end up being yet , still building engine . Will be using at least drag radials at the track , probably end up running slicks this coming up season .

I was told 2nd 3rd and 4th have been faceplated .

heres my opinion. don't waste your time with a manual trans unless your a DIE HARD FANATIC OF THE MANUAL TRANS.

I can put you in touch with a guy that will build you a th400 that will last to the 1k rwhp range all day. rmvb with transbrake, sbf bellhousing and all the fiiiiiixxxxns.[in my stevie janowski voice] for around 1500.

I tried for years racing my 600 rwhp stang with a tko 600 and it was the biggest waste of money and time I'd never like to admit to. IN THE END I SPENT 2X the money I should have only to learn I wasn't nearly as fast as I thought shifting gears.

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
ps. drag radials and stick is another reason to run to an auto. stick tires hit the tires tremendously hard.

drag radials don't have any "give" to them. you are going to have to take a ton of shock out of your suspension to get those dr's anywhere even close to working.

P40E

TCG Elite Member
Nov 4, 2012
Right now with my stock engine/trans I run two different sets of drag radials . 255/50/16 and 275/50/15 (they are about the same width , the 255 is a little bit taller ) . I think im going to go with a 60 series slick this season .

Stock car launches were at 2600 and was getting 1.91 0-60ft's on the drag radials

I really want to stay 5speed . I will be launching A LOT harder this year and definitely at higher rpms . Also going to be spending some money on suspension in the spring time . Was saving that for last .

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
Right now with my stock engine/trans I run two different sets of drag radials . 255/50/16 and 275/50/15 (they are about the same width , the 255 is a little bit taller ) . I think im going to go with a 60 series slick this season .

Stock car launches were at 2600 and was getting 1.91 0-60ft's on the drag radials

I really want to stay 5speed . I will be launching A LOT harder this year and definitely at higher rpms . Also going to be spending some money on suspension in the spring time . Was saving that for last .

I was running 1.48-1.52's on a 275/60/15 m/t dr and that was leaving on motor with the two step at 5200 or so. if I sprayed it out of the gate it would just incinerate the tire. it got to be a nightmare with all the track conditions we have around here.

I went to a th400 and went a tenth faster to the 60 right off the bat. eventually I did much better with the nos and a slick.

drag radials are like a hidden art. if you don't know much on how what works best for them(I ran them when I was much younger)they will hinder you quite a bit. now everyone loves the wheelspeed involved with radials. most cars don't reveal what it takes to make a car a true performer on a radial.

ajdereicup

Measly little 4.6 2v in a boat
Oct 30, 2012
Lombard
I got me a nice C4 in my Stang with the manual valve body. I like it and it gets the job done. Don't really know all about the Chebby trannys and swapping them in but C4s aren't too bad pricewise depending on what you want.

With the manual valve body you can maybe try and pretend its stickshift maybe? I just leave it in 3/4th and if I'm on the road with the car not at the track and it's meh

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info