• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Terminator or Coyote?

SHARKBITEATTACK

Enthusiast
Jun 15, 2008
Bartlett
Which is the better car to own for street/strip? We all know unmolested and low milage 03-04 cobras are few and far between. Good condition ones seem to be going for the low 20's. How do they compare to the 2011+ GT's which can be had for only a little more?

I know terminators have tons of potential for making power but the newer GT's have a refined chassis, option for an auto tranny and a solid axle. I think they both look equally cool. Help me out fellas, I'm a GM guy :smile:

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
5.0. It is a much better all around car. It is what you would expect for a car that has that many years to be refined. It is a much more capable all around car. People have gone high to mid tens with just bolt ons. And a converter for the auto equipped cars.

If you can swing it the Boss would be even a better bet. A forged motor with cnc ported heads, different intake and much more when compared to the GT's Coyote motor. There are many examples out there that have added boost and have been fine with over 800-900 rwhp.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
side bar on this one - are cobras going to continue to hold value while the 5.0s get cheaper? i would think yes.

I did think they were going to drop significantly, but I now may be eating my own words... i think the "nicer" ones will be holding their value just because of their exclusivity & relative rarity.

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
side bar on this one - are cobras going to continue to hold value while the 5.0s get cheaper? i would think yes.

Who cares? That means you will still have to pay more for them than modern mustangs. The answer is easy here.

If you want raw/easily up-gradable performance with little to NO creature comforts then its the termy.

If you want all the modern comforts available in a new car, plus updated styling and performance with a warranty, then its the coyote.

I personally want a nice riding, comfortable and fast performance car that can be upgraded to make fast. I dont need to make 800 to the tire, but could if needed with deeper pockets.

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363
They are still pricey to buy, but cheap to mod. Whats a 2.9 whipple cost these days?? Like $3k? Thats a steal to make 650 to the tire. The FRPP whipple kit for the coyote from ford is like $7500.

yeah but can't the rest of the 5.0 support that whipple from a drag standpoint better than a cobra can... ie... the rear end?

Yaj Yak

Gladys
TCG Premium
May 24, 2007
Niche score of 2,363

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn

In the past they have held heir value very well. Clean ones will continue to do so. But I have seen 03/04 cobras sell for mid to low teens. They are getting older and some have been beat, rusting bodies and problems. But a clean example will continue to demand top dollar as will any car as it ages.

yeah but can't the rest of the 5.0 support that whipple from a drag standpoint better than a cobra can... ie... the rear end?

The 8.8 in the live axle is basically the same 8.8 that has been in the mustang since the Foxbody and light duty trucks before that. Built they have gone 7's in the quarter. Very good rear end, strength wise, especially when you beef them up some.

The IRS in the cobra is more than capable of going fast...brace + bushings = go to town.

Yes and no. I have seen more broke or cracked IRS housings than I have seen with the live axle 8.8. Plus the live axls is much better from a drag racing suspension stand point. The triangulated four link in the live axle is much easier to get to work than the IRS.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info