• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Noises from rear

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
I am not familiar with a RWD platform, so I am looking for some advice here. My 2011 GT is making a "creaking" noise under load.

It all started a bit ago when I noticed a rattle coming from the rear. It only happened when I hit decent bumps, so I just lived with it for a while. The last month or so (since it got warm) I have noticed that any time I take off from a stop or shift gears there is this loud squeeky/creaky noise coming from what sounds to be the left rear of the car and it is getting really freaking annoying paired with the rattle.

I asked the dealership to see if they could see what part what causing this and I would pay for it (since it is a aftermarket kit on the car) and they came back twice with it is the exhaust hanger. I am sorry, but that doesn't make any sense at all to me. I got under that car and shook the exhaust to shit and it just makes a very slight noise as the hanger shifts in the holder, but not nearly loud enough to be making the noise I am hearing. The exhaust hasn't changed at all and there is no bare metal indicating any scraping is occuring.

I am thinking it is one suspension part or bushing just getting worse. Anyone have any ideas on where to start? I was thinking maybe LCA bushing? Thanks in advance, Andy.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Yeah, I wish I knew what type of suspension is on there. All new shocks/struts/springs (all blue color). Only thing that appears to be stock is the rear sway bar. The front sway is even upgraded. The suspension came on the car. I picked it up with 3k on it, so whoever had it before me did it. I might just pop off both of the LCA's and lube the shit out of the bushings to see if that helps. I didn't really even think that they might be poly bushings.

I did have the dealership at least go over all the suspension bolts and tighten them all down, so I can rule that out...or at least I would hope so. Thanks for the tip mano

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
I had this same issue. Like a squeaking/rattle of sorts. Would only happen if on bumpy roads or under aggressive driving. Went under the car yesterday and found it to be the heat shield or bracket that is above the drivers side muffler hanger. As the muffler moves around in its 3 rubber bushings, the one (which is basically touching the heat sheild) closest to the axle touches the heat shield and makes a very audible sound.

I moved the hanger bushing slightly out of the way which solved the bulk of the noise. I then used a bit of lithium grease on all of the rubber bushings for the mufflers and all sound was completely gone.

Might be worth a look to see if this is your problem! :D

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
It's only money :rofl:

Id do it just to rule it out and finish off what the previous owner started.
:rofl: you know. I just planted my money tree last week, still waiting for those bills to ripen. Really, I wouldn't mind getting some LCA's to get rid of some rear end hoppin. Plus, you have a point. The only thing not done to the suspension is LCA and rear sway bar. I have been trying to put it off though due to the MGW shifter I am looking to pick up.

I had this same issue. Like a squeaking/rattle of sorts. Would only happen if on bumpy roads or under aggressive driving. Went under the car yesterday and found it to be the heat shield or bracket that is above the drivers side muffler hanger. As the muffler moves around in its 3 rubber bushings, the one (which is basically touching the heat sheild) closest to the axle touches the heat shield and makes a very audible sound.

I moved the hanger bushing slightly out of the way which solved the bulk of the noise. I then used a bit of lithium grease on all of the rubber bushings for the mufflers and all sound was completely gone.

Might be worth a look to see if this is your problem! :D

:fy: man, thanks for the pointer here. That is actually the only part of the exhaust I could get to make any noise. Plus, I did notice the bushings looked dry. Maybe it is just amplified in the car since it didn't seem too loud when I was under there. I am going to the store right meow for some grease.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Well I lubed those bitches up nice and heavy and it had no impact on the noise I am hearing. I am shaking the hell out of that exhaust more than I would think is possible to move while driving and really can't hear any noise at all....just minor hanger vibration just like any exhaust would. The lube did seem to quiet the hangers a bit, but no impact on overall noise. I took a quick vid with my phone to give you guys a decent idea on how loud this shit is. Alot of popping and if you roll onto the clutch very slow is sounds like a creak. Still a lot of noise over bumps as well with the popping.

I can also feel the popping or creaking through the floor too. Makes me feel it is LCA related, but shit I don't know. That is my next thing to tackle here..I will probably just lube the hell out of those bushings as well and see what happens. Just costs time at this point to lube up stuff. Thanks again for the help gents.

TCG Vids - rear driver side noise (Powered by ClipBucket)

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
Do you have an aftermarket panhard bar? My 09 shelby made that same noise when one of the rodends from the panhard par went bad. It started out very quiet, then started to get loud like that video you made. I would check the 3 link setup. And see if you can get it to make the noise by shaking the car from left to right or up and down.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Haha yeah, that noise is not fuckin around. It is why I cant get over the dealership telling me it is exhaust related. The bushings all look dry to me. I am going to lube them all up as soon as I can figure out how to get my low pro jack under my car...shits too low. I just need a bit of enginuity. Which I am lacking because I worked 7p-7a last night and am hitting my energy wall at this point. Don't want to use the diff housing to jack her up either. I have a feeling once I look at all the parts you guys mentioned and throw some red grease or something at it then it will quiet down. If not, I have eliminated a lot of shit for not a lot of money.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
If you don't want to read all of this cliffs at the bottom...

So I haven't had any free time to try and get the car jacked up and see what is going on. I had today off, but just got back from camping so I wasn't about to bust my ass and see what was going on. I took my car to a place in town know for tire and suspension work to see if they could take a quick look at it and give me a second opinion.

The machanic takes it for a spin around the block and pulls it in to the bay...not even 5 minutes passed and they are taking it for another test drive. I am kind of scratching my head at this point, but whatever works. When he pulls back in he doesn't even pull it into the bay, he just parks it in their parking lot. I am thinking that something is pretty fucked at this point and they can't fix it at this time. Dude walks in and says she is all done. I just kind of look at him and laugh. He asked why I was laughing and I told him how it has been to the dealership 3 times for the same noise and they keep telling me it is the exhaust....he just chuckles and said he knew what it was before he even pulled it out of the lot for the first time.

He used the term "front trailing arm" that was on the rear drivers side(where the noise was obviously coming from), but I am assuming he was talking about the LCA on that rear side. Guy just said that the bolts were really loose and he just tightened them down. Shit is as quiet as a brand new stock car....couldn't be happier at this point.

I am pretty pissed at the dealership for not even checking this shit after I asked them to 3 different times and they told me they tightened all of the suspension bolts as well. Not to mention I had them do a full car check-up to make sure everything was still kosher when I was there a couple weeks ago. I would like to give them an ear full but don't really know how to go about it or what to ask for in return since this would seem like a pretty big safety risk if those bolts had backed all the way out. It could have at least tore the shit out of the rear of the car I would imagine.

Anyone have any ideas on how I should go about this? I would at least like to get something free or discounted for their negligence. I would like to continue to go there since they are a friendly and performance based Ford dealership.

Cliffs:

Took my car to a local tire/suspension place, they fixed in under 15 minutes. Found out it was loose suspension bolts that were backed out pretty far. Guy said it was "front trailing arms" on the rear drivers side which I am assuming he meant the LCA on that rear drivers side. I am pissed because I have taken it to the dealership 3 times for this same issue. How should I handle this with the dealership?

Eagle

Nemo me impune lacessit
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2008
Woodsticks, IL
What dealership?

Take it to the service manager. Get what you think is fair. If they won't work with you, find the owner of the dealership and let them know if it doesn't get addressed you're calling Ford Customer Relations.

Vehicle and Service Contacts
If you have questions or concerns about your vehicle, we suggest you follow these steps

Contact your Sales Representative or Service Advisor at your selling/servicing dealership.
If the inquiry or concern remains unresolved, contact the Sales Manager or Service Manager at the dealership.
If the inquiry or concern cannot be resolved at the dealership level, please contact our Customer Relationship Center via one of the methods below.
Phone

United States
+1-800-392-3673
+1-800-232-5952 (TDD for the Hearing Impaired)
Available 8:00 a.m.- 5:00 p.m. Local Time Monday-Friday

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Damn, thank a lot Eagle! that helps me for sure man!!! I don't even know what to ask for though. I am usually a not give too much of a fuck kind of guy, so I don't know what I can ask for since I have never really been mad enough to ask for compensation for this type of dumb shit. I would like to get my MGW shifter installed there. Maybe ask for a heavy discount for install? any suggestions? maybe a free oil change? I just don't know what is too much.

It is Anderson Ford in Clinton IL. They are a Roush certified dealer and have their own Anderson performance shop attached with a dyno and really some bad ass cars. I would like to feel they know what they are doing.

SleeperLS

TCG Elite Member
TCG Premium
Oct 19, 2008
West of the Mississippi
Yep, been to Anderson's shop many times for a friend's car that they tuned a few times during its lifetime. Danny is good people... not sure about the rest of them.

Push for 1/2 price labor and a free oil change.

Yeah I agree. I met Danny this last time I was there while I was waiting. Guy was super nice and knowledgable. I was just walking around looking at their catalogs and he stopped by to shoot the shit.

Thanks for the suggestion, I feel that is pretty good place to start

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Hahaha, glad this got figured out. Was the reason i first asked if all the bolts were double checked, 9 out of 10 times, somethings under torqued or loose. Unfortunately, doesn't matter where or what place, a tech that does a half ass inspection can ruin the whole dealer's name. I would definitely be pissed and bring this to their attention, even more so if they proceeded to charge you for inspection time. I worked at a Ford dealer, and i would expect to get a ass chewing, but maybe not since i can do my job ability.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info