• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Car is done! for the most part

kweb288

Addict
Mar 18, 2009
after 4 years, countless head aches, and who knows how much money.... here she is guys
This project has so much time and effort i dont think i will ever sell the car. Everything (except the rearend), was assembled and doen in my garage, mainly by myself with a few key friends and dad for moral support! great learning experiance for me.
Its a 4.6 2004 cobra engine, run off of a ron francis "detail zone" wiring harness. Body harnes is all seperate.
Car has a TH400 built in Indiana, reverse manual valve body with trans brake, and an un known converter (still trying to get a hold of the guy who made it)
Rear end has 31 spline axles with 3.55 gears a spool, c clip elimin.
Suspension is mainly Team z and Strange, with coil overs in all 4 corners
Fluidine provided all the coiling tanks and radiator/heat exchanger.
fuil system is a glenns high performance twin 255 walbro kit rated at 1000hp with the sumpt tank.
Interior is all custom starting with a wolf craft 10 point chromoly cage that had the kirkey seat brackets added to it. The back half was cut out for the instalation of the mini tubs (after cage was in) and a bulk head (which i cut and modified to fit around the new back bars that i cut/nothced myself.
DSCF0017.jpg

DSCF0016.jpg

DSCF0015.jpg

DSCF0014-1.jpg

DSCF0013-1.jpg

DSCF0012-1.jpg

DSCF0006-1.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0030.jpg

DSCF0029.jpg

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0027.jpg

DSCF0026.jpg

DSCF0024.jpg

DSCF0022.jpg

DSCF0021.jpg

DSCF0020.jpg

DSCF0019.jpg

DSCF0018.jpg

my buddies z and my car
DSCF0035.jpg

DSCF0036.jpg

burn out time
DSCF0037.jpg

DSCF0038.jpg

DSCF0039.jpg

DSCF0040.jpg

DSCF0025.jpg

kweb288

Addict
Mar 18, 2009
Wish I was a fabricator like you. Car looks amazing except the radiator looks like it's falling out. Maybe a GT bumper might look better?

thats the after cooler, the radiator is perfect. I put the after cooler there so that it would have ample air flow over the fins. I could of hid it a little better.... but then it would not of gotten great airflow.

and thanks guys! kinda sad that its pretty much over

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
cause there is a lot of voids in the welds and a ton of "lumps" in it where it was not welded correctly. that means in certain spots there was a ton of heat where it was not welded properly. excessive heat causes strain on the metal and is more than likely going to crack apart if the car was ever wrecked.

i give you great props for building it and theres something to be said for doing EVERYTHING yourself............but on that note, the cage is there for your safety! its designed to protect you in the event of a high speed crash.

experience tells you when to wrap it up on one end of the project and hire a professional.

kweb288

Addict
Mar 18, 2009
There r only a few spots were this actually has occurred. The main part, hoop, down bars, cross over bars, pillar, halo and all that we're welded by a profesional, I practiced on other things before I did the Down bars, which turned out very well, had the line of nickels look to it before the cage was welded. Yes part of the seat bracket syste
Has a few of these melted metal clumps to it. But most of it has no structural purpose what so ever

deviantlx

TCG Elite Member
Apr 20, 2008
...... Why?

There r only a few spots were this actually has occurred. The main part, hoop, down bars, cross over bars, pillar, halo and all that we're welded by a profesional, I practiced on other things before I did the Down bars, which turned out very well, had the line of nickels look to it before the cage was welded. Yes part of the seat bracket syste
Has a few of these melted metal clumps to it. But most of it has no structural purpose what so ever

i hear ya. like i said. im not downplaying the build. you did an awesome job. theres a lot that comes from experience.

maybe over the winter grind down the sections you attempted and have your buddy lay a decent penetrating weld to join the two sections properly

you would be suprised what happens when these cars wreck. i have seen welded cages break clean off with all the weld stuck to one side of the tube.

i have also seen a proper cage do its job and the minute we went to cut one bar out of the hoop it moved 6 inches!

Ear Rak

Underemployed
Nov 11, 2005
Fort Worth, TX
i hear ya. like i said. im not downplaying the build. you did an awesome job. theres a lot that comes from experience.

maybe over the winter grind down the sections you attempted and have your buddy lay a decent penetrating weld to join the two sections properly

you would be suprised what happens when these cars wreck. i have seen welded cages break clean off with all the weld stuck to one side of the tube.

i have also seen a proper cage do its job and the minute we went to cut one bar out of the hoop it moved 6 inches!

i've seen people use hilifts/ratchet straps to pull bars in place to weld :lmao:

that was on jeeps though that are seeing more of flopping over than 100+ mph crashes.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info