• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Squeaky belt

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
So my belt has begun to squeak lately and it only has about 2000 miles on it.

It's definitely the belt, since you can hear it squeak with each revolution the belt makes around the engine. I originally had a Gatorback on there, but the annoying whistle that it generated due to my non-slip pulley made me change to a Gates. The Gates was nice and quiet for a long time, but now it's squeaking.

Does anyone know of a good belt that can withstand the stresses of a pullied Cobra without getting the squeaks?

blck10th

TCG Elite Member
Jan 11, 2007
What size pulleys and belt you running? I never had a squeak with the eaton and a 2.76 upper

You could try the heavy duty green ones from gates. I use them on my car. But I destroy them with the kb.

Otherwise I know gates does make a kevlar belt but not in a ton of sizes

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Im often criticized when I advertise doing this......
I take a rag soaked in brake cleaner and hold it up to the ribbed side of the belt when the engine is running. Repeat on the other side next.
It will clean the belt and pulley surfaces and most likely eliminate the noise.

Flame suit on.

wolfe

in black sheep's clothing
Jun 2, 2008
Si Oh Em Pee Tee Oh En
Im often criticized when I advertise doing this......
I take a rag soaked in brake cleaner and hold it up to the ribbed side of the belt when the engine is running. Repeat on the other side next.
It will clean the belt and pulley surfaces and most likely eliminate the noise.

Flame suit on.

As long as you can do it without getting your hand in there. I wouldn't do it, but if you want to go for it.

TurboJuice

Regular
Mar 30, 2011
I use the Napa / Gates belt and just change my belt like I change my oil...

I am not sure what the problem exactly is, but i swapped out everything this year. all new pulleys, new alternators, new alternator pulley, new supercharger pulley, new tensioner and tensioner pulley, new idler bracket. I tried it with a gates belt, gatorback and gates green belt. The gatorback makes a mess, so dont bother. The green belt still squeeks so it isnt worth the money. I prefer the cheaper gates belts. I have also concluded it is the smooth outer side of the belt. I agree with Zack, in that these belts just get dirt and squeek.

Nothing fixed the problem for good on mine except a new belt. The squeek still came back especially after hard driving. I think it puts an intense load on the belt in first and second gear when i loose traction and rev the shit out of the engine. So if you drive nice, your belt stays quiet longer. If you drive it how it is supposed to be driven, they squeek sooner.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Yeah, I was thinking about using sandpaper. I might give that a try.
I'm also buying that belt from NOTCH_U, just in case.

Also, I originally had a Gatorback on there and it sounded like 100 canarys under my hood. The unique rib design of the Gatorback interacted with the grooves on the non-slip pulley to make a chirping sound.

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
Zack be careful with moving belt cleaning. I know you know what you are doing but skill at repeated tasks leads to half a second of inattention and that leads to chop, chop. Looking at the risk/reward, is it really worth risking fingers to save 10 mins. of your life?

I bet you could design a soaked cloth holding tool? :D

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Zack be careful with moving belt cleaning. I know you know what you are doing but skill at repeated tasks leads to half a second of inattention and that leads to chop, chop. Looking at the risk/reward, is it really worth risking fingers to save 10 mins. of your life?

I bet you could design a soaked cloth holding tool? :D

I promise to change my ways ....seriously.

04cobrawhine

Regular
Nov 19, 2008
get some valve laping compound (valve grinding compound if you will) and put a little bit on the back side of the belt in a couple spots. then start the car and watch the noise magicly go away. its only a temporary fix, but its much easier and cheaper then replacing belts.

make sure you use water mixed compound though. if you use the grease mixed stuff you just make a mess.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info