• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Heat vs. Cobra's

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Finally got my Cobra back on the road this week.
TH400 + Gear Vendors = MEGA WIN.

Anyway, this car sucks in the heat.
I couldnt even touch the metal plate I made to cover where the shifter once was.
IAT's about 150-160 with my new 2.9 Whipple.
And again, the dreaded low voltage problem.

Shit is just stupid!

So, I decided to be a guniea pig and do a totally custom alternator (in prep for my Killer Chiller install)
Adam from www.nationsautoelectric.com is building me a custom alternator that consists of:

Denso Alternator Parts (3G front with a 6G Rotor)
Higher Amperage
Remote external regulator, adjustable from 12v to 16+

This type of alternator is commonly used on Ambulances and buses, so its a great starting point.
He found me a 3.3" alternator pulley to go with it

Only thing I am gonna have to do is make a custom bottom mount for it (1/2" shorter) Actually thats gonna be to my favor because Ill try and make an adjustable bracket so that when the belt stretches, all I will have to do is loosen the alternator, slide it over and put the belt back on. Kinda old school!

It should ship by the end of the week and will probably be around $400.

I know its steep but hopefully it will solve this problem once and for all.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
[QUOT

IE=serb82;1089343]Dam that sucks about voltage issue, lose it at full throttle or threw whole rpm range?

Post some pics of the new whipple ![/QUOTE]

Id bet money yours does the same thing.
Start it cold, it will make 14 volts. 20 minutes later in hot weather.it will.make 13.3-13.5
Get on it hard and watch.the.voltage drop as low as 12 volts or lower.
Honestly, go try it and report back.

serb82

TCG Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
Well after a 20 min beat down from work to home, 10 miles highway and 06 gto race that I walked away from :) and 3 miles stop and go til home, car was nice and hot. I pulled into garage with the electric fan running and boost a pump, idle about 800 rpms car put out 14.3x volts. Once I turned on head lights and fog lights, radar, ac on max, radio with bullshit 300 watt amp and sub about 70% volume with above items running it dropped to 12.8x volts same idle. This is with a reman alternator from autozone 2 months old (1000 miles on it) and 2 1/2 year old duralast battery in car.

Pressure Ratio

TCG Premium
Nov 11, 2005
Glen Ellyn
There is plenty of heat reflecting material out there. Check out DEI's website for some ideas. Maybe their Reflect-A-Cool? If you can out that on the shifter plate bottom it will help. Then if you can build a heat shield under the plate you will be surprised how much it helps. I have heard some people claim 80-120 degree difference on the other side of a heat shield.

Good to hear you got the car back on the road at least.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
There is plenty of heat reflecting material out there. Check out DEI's website for some ideas. Maybe their Reflect-A-Cool? If you can out that on the shifter plate bottom it will help. Then if you can build a heat shield under the plate you will be surprised how much it helps. I have heard some people claim 80-120 degree difference on the other side of a heat shield.

Good to hear you got the car back on the road at least.

I actually forgot to install that stuff when the trans was out. It was my intention from the beginning but I totally failed!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info