• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

May have hurt the engine on the Cobra. Help PLZ!

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
Hey guys, it's been awhile since I have posted on here due to a lack of a home computer. But I am at work now so hopefully I can get some idea's on whats wrong so I can work on the car when I get home. Anywho...

I have noticed what sounded like a lifter noise for awhile now, but recently in the past few weeks it had gotten a little louder. Last night i took about a 15 mile cruise not getting on the car very hard and stopped to wash the car. After about a half an hour shut off I continued my cruise for another 5-10 miles or so and stopped for some food. When I started the car back up I noticed the car idling for about 3-4 seconds normally then a pop, then 3-4 normal and a pop and so on. Figured it was odd but thought I would check it out when I got home. Started to pull out of the parking lot and car was running real rough under a load and sounded like real loud lifter "tick". After waiting for the stop light to go green I went to turn onto Route 30 and it was like I lost 2/3rds power. I turned into the first parking lot and popped the hood and gave it throttle with the cable and heard something clunk/pop which sounded like it came from the middle of the intake. I immediately shut the car off and called for a trailer.

A couple buddys stopped by and gave me some input. I have ideas such as, Lifter, Exhaust valve, exhaust manifold gasket, intake gasket, spark plug blow-out etc.

What i don't get is it will make the noise until it idles for about 45 seconds or so and then becomes very quiet like there was nothing wrong, but comes right back when you give it throttle. It is coming from the passenger side head/intake area at the back of the motor.

I shot a short video of the noise, I know its not the greatest but I will make another when I go home after work today.

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
Sounds quite similar to what mine did. I pulled the passenger side valve cover off and found that I broke an intake spring on the number 2 cylinder. Shot the rocker arm across the cam valley of the head. Was just laying in there.
Been busy with work but mine should be back up by this weekend.

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
UPDATE: I got home from work yesterday and threw my Diablo on the car to scan the check engine code. Came up Cylinder #4 Misfire. Pulled the Coil Covers and pulled out the Coils to find a torn up coil plug boot. I waited for my brother to come over with his extended spark plug socket in which he stuck in and pulled out the plug which was not threaded in the head. I am not sure how the threads are I still need to bore scope it, but I am pretty sure I will need the Type-Sert repair done. Here are some pics of the plug and coil.

IMG_1437.jpg

IMG_1436.jpg

IMG_1434.jpg

IMG_1432.jpg

IMG_1430.jpg

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
I think the gap closed up when the spark plug was bouncing around in the hole and hitting the washer seat. The shoulder where it would tighten up around the seat is beat up and wore out. The compression with a loose plug was knocking it around like a red headed step child. haha Luckily 95% of the broken off porcelain was trapped inside the coil boot. When i ripped the boot off the coil there was 3 big chunks inside there.

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
Yea I am going to change all of them. Probably get new Coils as well. I still have Motorcraft ones so who knows if they were ever changed. Hayne's manual says 7-14 ft-lbs of torque on the spark plugs. Which is 84-168 in-lbs. I torqued them to 100 in-lbs But I may go back and torque them a little more.

TaintedSnake01

Tainted Racing
Aug 14, 2005
So John do you think I am going to need to get that Time Sert done? If so does the head need to be pulled to do this? Also if your able to come out please pm me how much to do this and when you might be able to come out. I am off work at 4pm mon-fri and i am off Saturdays and Sundays as well.

I am probably going to order new coil's. Has anyone heard of these http://www.lethalperformance.com/03-04-mustang-mach-1-ignition-coil-on-plug-kits-c-19_686_2131/weapon-x-03-04-mach-1-xcop-racing-cop-ignition-coil-set-p-15005

Seem to be true coil on plug versus "coil near plug" just wondering if being a near stock motor with bolt-ons, if it would make a difference. Only $40 more than the MSD ones.

ShelbyGuy

Turgid Member
Mar 26, 2004
I can do the repair with the head on and the valve cover on. The cylinders closer to the firewall can be a bit of a pain but that's more because the hood is in the way than anything to do with the engine.

If I can't turn the engine over by hand [the electric fan is usually in the way] then a 2nd person needs to bump the key to turn the engine over so the cylinder in question is at bottom dead center. The cutter will cut into the top of the piston otherwise.

I take my time and make sure it's done correctly so there's no worries. When I'm done, put the new spark plug and coil pack on that cylinder and you're good to go for thousands of miles of smiles.

stick with the stock coils - they work the best.
MSD stands for My Spark Died.

So John do you think I am going to need to get that Time Sert done? If so does the head need to be pulled to do this? Also if your able to come out please pm me how much to do this and when you might be able to come out. I am off work at 4pm mon-fri and i am off Saturdays and Sundays as well.

I am probably going to order new coil's. Has anyone heard of these http://www.lethalperformance.com/03-04-mustang-mach-1-ignition-coil-on-plug-kits-c-19_686_2131/weapon-x-03-04-mach-1-xcop-racing-cop-ignition-coil-set-p-15005

Seem to be true coil on plug versus "coil near plug" just wondering if being a near stock motor with bolt-ons, if it would make a difference. Only $40 more than the MSD ones.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info