• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

My TH400 Fiasco

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Square in a round hole....thats exactly what installing this trans felt like.
I woke up Saturday planning on going to Sutton, but then I thought, I own a Mustang that is crippled in the garage; Im not missing another show, time to get busy.

I knew a long time ago that installing the trans with the longtubes in place would be impossible. Last week, I got the idea of removing the bellhousing and re-assembling it past the headers. I had no idea it was about to take me 9 hours to do this job...

At first I tried to fit just the bellhousing in place, but it was hitting the header on the passenger side. 15 minutes with the grinder and it finally cleared. :-o

Next I had the Bell up there, then lifted the trans up and mated the 2. After re-attaching the Bell I then realized I didnt have enough clearance to install the converter. :mad:
Off comes the Bell...now it gets tricky.
I had to seperate the trans from the bell, but install the converter over the input shaft. Then I had to sneak all 8 bolts back in between the converter and bell and tighten them down. All this while the converter weas dangling on the input shaft. :cool2:

Next I installed the flexplate and THOUGHT I was in the home stretch....nope!
The Bell is so thick, there was not enough clearance to clear the flexplate on the very top. At this point I was about to panic, but carried on.
I had to unbolt the flexplate, then position the trans within 1/2 inch of the engine, then sneak the flexplate back in.

And for the grand finale, I had to install all 8 bolts with a hair over 1" of clearance. OMFG.

In case some of you dont know, my car is on a drive on lift. There was no way I was about to push it out, turn it around in the driveway then pull it back in, drop the STOCK K member, remove the headers, install the trans on the floor and put everything back together.

If there is anything wrong with this transmission I gonna burn the car to the ground and collect the insurance money. :eek:

Pice to come this week when I install the gear vendors.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
I just bought $600 more dollars worth of shit to get it completed.
Dipstick
Trans Mount
Cooler w/ Fan
Lines, Fittings
Hose seperators
Trans Pan

WTF! lol

I know that the parts I chose will never break, but JESUS this is expensive.

Kinda makes me wish I had bought the TCI 6 speed with paddle shifters!

kweb288

Addict
Mar 18, 2009
^^^ lmao i hear you man, on paper it prices out pretty cheap.... but then you get into it and have to start adding all these parts! its a son of a bitch!!!!! you got the correct fittings that go into the trans case right? the onces that arnt NPT?? cause if you use the wrong style of thread on the case, you can actually crack the case

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
^^^ lmao i hear you man, on paper it prices out pretty cheap.... but then you get into it and have to start adding all these parts! its a son of a bitch!!!!! you got the correct fittings that go into the trans case right? the onces that arnt NPT?? cause if you use the wrong style of thread on the case, you can actually crack the case

The fittings came installed from Proformance. :biggthump

JA$ON

ching chong potato
Sep 7, 2004
Sorry to hear your struggles, but trust me, I know how that goes!

A GOOD th400 swap is definitely a $4-$5k swap by the time its all done. Fittings, lines, dipstick , flexplate, converter, shifter, trans, cooler, driveshaft, all that shit adds up fast!

Will be very cool once its in working order.

Mine was a nightmare with the blower and longtubes, but much more manageable now that my headers point forward and there is no exhaust to the rear, lol

Im curious to see what you think of the gear vendor piece once its running

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Oh yeah.

2011-05-23_19-34-03_360.jpg

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Wow that makes me want to punch a little bunny rabbit just looking at all that shit under there lol. Its like a little transmission for the transmission. Driveshaft gonna be like 1' long

Doesnt hit the underside, ironically!
Im taking the DS measurement tonight then dropping it off for shortening tomorrow.

I did a little research yesterday, and found PCS is in the engineering stages of making a controller for the 6R80 Automatic trans in the new Mustangs!

Thats would be SIIIIIIIICK!!

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info