• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Old Problems Still Haunting Me

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
The dreaded belt chirp! Yes I stil have it. Did some research this week, and it seems that everyone with a Metco lower has this issue! It turns out it misalighns the alternator somehow and a misalighned pulley is why these cars have the famous CHIRP! Its not the belts or bad alternators or bad pulley bearings, cuz Ive done all this and none helped.

So my question is how do I realign the alternator? The guy that posted this wasnt very specific, and I cant get ahold of him. He said this fixes the problem 110%! He also said some people have resolved to shaving the metco lower around 3mm and this also solves the problem.

Ill attach a pic for you guys to see what the misalighnment looks like.

Attachments

• iphone pics 027.jpg
    iphone pics 027.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 167

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Before you do anything though, put a straight edge on that tensioner....looks bent. I was bending a brand new one on the marauder I just finished. Had to order a Roush tensioner.

I dont think the tenstioner is bent, its just the angle of the picture, even though the stock one is a POS. I will be getting that roush one you been trying to get me to buy for some time now. I swapped out to the stock pulleys today w new bearings, and the alighnment issue is still there. And Zack I looked at the crank pulley it looks lighned up with all the other pulleys and tensioner. Its the alt pulley that doesnt look right!

More Pics

The 1st pic is showing from the driver side and you can clearly see the pulley evidence marks do not line up w the belt.

The 2nd pic is from the passanger side and everything lines up.

The 3rd is my question can I just shim the alternator bracket like with a 3-4mm washer?

Zack if the easy steps dont work 1st then we can resolve to taking off the crank pulley and wire cleaning the crank rust.

Attachments

• iphone pics 033.jpg
    iphone pics 033.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 143
  • iphone pics 032.jpg
    iphone pics 032.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 142
  • iphone pics 031.jpg
    iphone pics 031.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 142

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Yes but will rub the case of alternator.
I remeber from last weekend working on mine and it had an aftermarket 4 inch alt pulley on it.

Dan,
Factory or aftermarket alt pulley?
IF aftermarket did you install the 1/4 metal spacer between pulley and alt case?

Brate, yes its a metco 3.4 or 3.5 inch pulley. And yes the spacer is installed as well. I was also thinking of shimming it this way. Give it a try what the hell....right??

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
The dreaded belt chirp! Yes I stil have it. Did some research this week, and it seems that everyone with a Metco lower has this issue! It turns out it misalighns the alternator somehow and a misalighned pulley is why these cars have the famous CHIRP! Its not the belts or bad alternators or bad pulley bearings, cuz Ive done all this and none helped.

So my question is how do I realign the alternator? The guy that posted this wasnt very specific, and I cant get ahold of him. He said this fixes the problem 110%! He also said some people have resolved to shaving the metco lower around 3mm and this also solves the problem.

Ill attach a pic for you guys to see what the misalighnment looks like.

UPDATE

New Roush Tensioner Worked Great. Everything is realighned good to go. The only thing I had to do was shim the tensioner with some washers because its desighned for a 3v sn197. The thickness of the new tensioner is evident. This one shouldnt bend.

Attachments

• iphone pics 034.jpg
    iphone pics 034.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 78
  • iphone pics 035.jpg
    iphone pics 035.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 79
  • iphone pics 036.jpg
    iphone pics 036.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 76
Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info