• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

I mean REALLY????

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
A few weeks back I fire the beast up and let her warm up for about 5 minutes. I take off from the house under normal driving. I hit the stop sign and takea right under normal driving and 10 seconds later in 2nd she bucks a little bit and there is a slight loss of power and she bucks a little more and then she goes back to normal. 10 seconds later she starts doing this. No real noticeable power loss. I wasnt even getting on it just a casual take off and shift to 2nd.
A week before this I was on my way back from work in the middle of the night and I got surprised by a turbo Civic for a roll race. I smacked him pretty good and hell I didnt even go all in on that.... maybe 13-14 pounds and all was normal then with no noticeable issues.
I can definitely hear it strong up top on that passenger side valve cover/cam area but you can also hear it strong down below but I dont know if its echoing.
Ive torn down several pushrod fords and a couple of chevy blocks but this DOHC is intimidating but thats how I learn. Ive got the engine hoise and stand out and ready to yank it.
Ive had some others listen to it and Ive gotten a range of things... cam girdle bolt broken or undone, spun bearing, cam gear tooth, cam follower wrist pin. You name it Im hearing it. Ive never heard this before so tell me what your hearing. Its def on the passenger side. It does rise and fall with the rpm's
This pisses me off. I was getting it ready to sell as Ive got a turbo notch project lined up I want to start working on.

Anyhow let me know what your thinking. It may be another week or two before I yank it. Work wont leave me alone enough to have a day off.

http://s664.photobucket.com/albums/vv6/sy_04_cobra/?action=view&current=IMG_1019.mp4

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
I was gonna check the plugs and get the oil out of it and have a look at that first. Havent had time with work.
I used the hose and its pretty hard to pinpoint it. It sounds to me like its coming under the valve cover right under my plenum or intake.
This was a cold start and she runs like crap when cold. At least until she gets warmed up because of those stg 3 cams. This thing always sounds like she is sucking in gobs of air.
I know the previous owner had a problem with that passenger side header coming loose. It just doesnt sound like exhaust leak though.

01Cobra

Johnny Cobra
May 3, 2006
unrelated question and I may be mistaken

I see you are venting your driver side head, however, pulling vacuum through the intake on passenger side. I was under the impression that you either need it to be a closed system or an open system venting both sides.

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
unrelated question and I may be mistaken

I see you are venting your driver side head, however, pulling vacuum through the intake on passenger side. I was under the impression that you either need it to be a closed system or an open system venting both sides.

Venting from the pcv port through the catch can back to the T fitting behind the blower. In one month I catch maybe 1/4 of that catch can with oil. Depends on how much I drive it.
I rigged this one up myself. Got a pressure oiler system from harbour freight for like $19. It comes with two different oiling systems (catch cans) one is white and one is orange. I used the orange one. I got a threaded pipe plug from work and it fit right in to the bottom. Put some threaded fittings on each end with some oil/fuel resistant hosing and your set. Cut the hose behind the blower and put in a brass, tapered T fitting and splice it in.
Not catching any friggin oil right now.
Goddamn it the phone wont stop ringing with them needing me to come in to work. Ill get to it as I can.... theres money to be made!!!! I can see this engine is going to be one of those 4 weeks jobs involving 3 hours or so a night.

Would this be a journal bearing?
While its out I may yank those Crower stg 3's and put in some Comp stg 3's, new springs etc...
Not sure how much more I want to put into it if I am selling it. This notch project gives me a boner every time I look at it.

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
Id pop the valve cover off judging by the speed of the noise sounds like valvetrain even tho its louder under the car, but pulling the valve cover is a quicker job then pulling the motor could save you some time.

I was thinking valvetrain as well. Ill still dump the oil and magnet it as well as look at the plugs close. It really is loudest and sounds like its coming under the valve cover straight under the intake.
Ill probably still end up having to pull it.

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
I had about an hour tonight and got the COPS cover off. All plugs look normal. I checked them real close and dont see any deposits at all.
I had my kid try and keep the car idling and I pulled each coil over on the passenger side and it didnt go away... at all.
I didnt get a chance to drain the oil yet but I checked the dip stick several times while it was running and laid it out on a white piece of paper. Nothing, nice and clean and no sparkles.
So next step is to check the oil and then get the blower off and valve cover off and see if its in there.
I have a feeling that any way I slice it its coming out. Im on jack stands with a 2 1/2 ton engine hoist and 1 ton stand. Im not sure how I want to take this thing out... top or bottom!

Yup I was looking into that about an hour ago. May just redo all of them.

Pass side not too bad in car, not very expensive to try either....good luck keep us posted.

I know there is a thread, or was, about whether to pump them up or not on initial startup on modularfords. Maybe do some tech searching over there.

Sharkster

Addict
Sep 17, 2005
Found it. Intake spring on the #2 cyl shit itself and broke. It tossed the rocker arm down to the bottom of the head galley... THANK GOD no other damage. No play in the valve guide or dings anywhere. I think Im gonna replace all of the lash adjusters as well. This could have been a lot worse.
See if I cant get this swapped out without dropping a valve.:quote:
Ignore the date, its not set.

Who wants to come and degree my cams? Never done it before and I bet they werent done by the builder for the previous owner.

101_1758.jpg

101_1765.jpg

101_1767.jpg

101_1769.jpg

101_1770.jpg

101_1771.jpg

101_1774.jpg

101_1775.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info