• 💡 Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Getting new tires - need your opinions

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
One of my Goodyear DS-G3’s is starting to get noisy, so I’ve decided to replace them all. I have 275’s in front and 285’s in the rear on the stock 17 inch wheels. I have a 2.76 pulley and the car puts down about 460 rwhp. In perfect conditions (warm sunny day, warm tires and hot pavement) I can go WOT in 2nd gear and not get wheelspin with this tire combo.

This time around, I’d rather get 275’s all around, so I can properly rotate the tires. I’d also like to get General Exclaim UHP tires since they have a better ride quality and are much quieter than most other performance tires. I do not want drag radials.

So, is this a bad idea? Will I be in wheelspin hell?

I’d especially like to hear from anyone who is making similar power with 275’s in the rear.
I’d also like to hear from anyone who is running the General Exclaim UHP with similar power levels.

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
tires

here's some choices for you.http://www.tiresdirect.net/ they are local in adisson il.cassidy tires.http://www.tiresdirect.net/CONTINENTAL_ExtremeContact_DW__P5315.cfm.resulting from Shark Fin bio-mechanics.
Your Price: $135.33

TOYO Proxes 4 275 40ZR17 98W
Item #197420
The Proxes 4 is Toyo's all-season ultra-high performance tire. It is designed primarily for plus-fitment applications on sport compact cars, sports sedans, and coupes. A wide range of tire sizes are available in V and W speed-ratings. Sizes from 15"- 24"
Your Price: $137.98

CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DWS 275 40ZR17 98W
Item #15471200000
The ExtremeContactTM DWS features improved grip and braking in both dry and wet conditions with a unique asymmetrical tread design. This tire includes an advanced tread compound for improved traction in all-weather conditions .
Your Price: $154.93

TOYO Proxes TQ P275 40R17 LL
Item #172010
The brand new Toyo Proxes TQ D.O.T approved Drag Radial keeps the power to the ground on high horsepower muscle cars and street machines.
Your Price: $161.98

CONTINENTAL ExtremeContact DW 275 40ZR17 98W
Item #15481830000
The ExtremeContact DW is the ultra-high performance tire in a new line of performance tires from Continental.
Your Price: $164.61

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I tried these last year after the GSD3 and Goodrich prices went through the roof. The Continentals perform better than the Goodrich and as well as the GSD3s. Dry traction is good. Wet traction is great. Road noise is minimal. $170 says it all.

The reviews for the Continentals are very, very good. I think I might put these on my short list of contenders.

Cliff, how is the traction in regards to holding the power of a pullied Cobra?
What size do you have on the rear?

Flyn

Go ahead. I'll catch up.
TCG Premium
Mar 1, 2004
Selling homes on the Gulf Coast of Florida
I have punched the car in 2nd and had it surprisingly launch rather than spin. Depends on weather and road conditions, of course. I wasn't sure what to expect with these tires and I was favorably impressed if that helps. If you remember, I was one of the early proponents of the GSD3s and I feel as good about the Continentals. If the GSD3s were still $170 it would be a coin flip. The Continental wet traction may actually be better. If you are ever on the South side, stop out and take my car for a ride.

All four tires are now the same size on my car. It's either stock or close to it. I will look at the size when I get out to the garage.

dlaude6

Regular
Mar 27, 2009
New Lenox, IL
All my experiences are with a 315/35/17 tire, so instead of comparing my results to yours, I'll compare three tires against each other so it's just a reference for you. Got GSD3s put on when the car was bone stock. Hooked all the time. Put intake and exhaust on, would hook 99% of the time. Ran those out, got some Nitto NT-05s (due to price of GSD3s). Hooked 95% of the time. It is hard to do a comparison in wear, but I felt the GSD3s lasted a little longer (it was actually about the same amount of mileage/time, but I did plenty more burnouts in the GSD3s). Pulleyd it, tuned it for E70, 484hp no. Balding NT05s we not good. Got some Toyo Proxes R888s on Friday. Took it out last night when it was 70 degrees, and got full traction. Didn't get all of 1st back when I drive it during the colder weather Saturday. In order of traction, I'd order them R888, GSD3, NT-05. R888s are less $ than the GSD3s as well. Unfortunately, these tires are all "directional rotation" required, so you can't rotate them properly, but to me traction is more important than rotating the tires.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Thanks for all the replies. It's been VERY useful.

The Toyo R888's appear to be road-race tires. I might keep those in mind for my race wheels for track days. However, I'm looking for a tire that's less stiff, has quieter ride and can be driven in the rain.

So far I've looked at:
General Exclaim UHP
Nitto Invo
Continental Extreme Contact DW

Unfortunately, the Invo is only made in limited sizes and they don't have one for the Cobra. So,the Continental is at the top of my list so far.

So far the Continental is number one on my list followed by the General.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
Ok, I got the Continentals and here is a quick review. I'm comparing them to my GS-D3's since those were the last tires I had.

Continental ExtremeContact DW
Compared to the GS-D3's, they are MUCH quieter and soak up the bumps better. In order to get that improved ride quality though, they have noticeably softer sidewalls which do affect handling feel. They are also a bit numb on center compared to the GS-D3' and not as good in the rain, although they're adequate.

When hanging it around a corner, the GS-D3's felt solid and accurate whereas the Continentals have a noticeable "squishyness", yet they still hold the road and don't squeal. The softness is going to take a little getting used to, but it's worth it since I really wanted a better ride quality due to the ultra-crappy roads we have around here.

I did a full throttle 2nd gear roll to 6K RPM's (2.76 pulley and supporting mods) to see if they'd hold and surprisingly they did, although I could feel that "squishyness" again.

SBTerminator

Pre Owned Director
Jan 31, 2010
Chicagoland
Real Name
Andy Miodynski
Continental Extreme Contact. $170 at TireRack.

I tried these last year after the GSD3 and Goodrich prices went through the roof. The Continentals perform better than the Goodrich and as well as the GSD3s. Dry traction is good. Wet traction is great. Road noise is minimal. $170 says it all.

This, just had them installed on my Cobra, and I love them !!

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I might try a bit more air, although I don't want to stiffen the ride up to much.

I had 285/40-17's on the rear before and I could only go about 1/2 throttle in 1st gear. I'm still working up the courage to try more power in 1st with the new Continentals.

SBTerminator

Pre Owned Director
Jan 31, 2010
Chicagoland
Real Name
Andy Miodynski
I might try a bit more air, although I don't want to stiffen the ride up to much.

I had 285/40-17's on the rear before and I could only go about 1/2 throttle in 1st gear. I'm still working up the courage to try more power in 1st with the new Continentals.

When they are cold, you will light them up. Once they warm up, I get a good grip. Little bit of screech, but they do hook.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
When they are cold, you will light them up. Once they warm up, I get a good grip. Little bit of screech, but they do hook.

Ok, I'll have to give it a try once we get some warmer dry weather.
Good to know they hook in 1st. Do you have the stock 275 size on the rear too?

Overall these seem like very good tires. Good ride quality and very quiet, so they would be perfect for a DD. They seem to handle well, but don't give you the exact precision feel of a more performance oriented tire. It's worth the sacrifice IMO, especially if you have to drive on crappy Smellinois roads.

SBTerminator

Pre Owned Director
Jan 31, 2010
Chicagoland
Real Name
Andy Miodynski
Ok, I'll have to give it a try once we get some warmer dry weather.
Good to know they hook in 1st. Do you have the stock 275 size on the rear too?

Overall these seem like very good tires. Good ride quality and very quiet, so they would be perfect for a DD. They seem to handle well, but don't give you the exact precision feel of a more performance oriented tire. It's worth the sacrifice IMO, especially if you have to drive on crappy Smellinois roads.

I did OEM stock sizes all around. I would but them again in heart beat.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info