• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

DOHC 4.6 in my '95 GTS

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
Hey guys...

I am looking at putting a 4.6 DOHC in my '95 GTS.

Parts I know I need:
engine:
[Crank]
[Rods]
[High compression pistons]
[bearings]
[rings]
[gaskets]
harness
computer
dash harness/cluster
Trans (??? WTF do I need to do here) T45, 3650, TKO, convert my T5z to work???

Parts I have:
Teksid bare block
98 Cobra Harness
K Member from 2001 GT
4 Valve B heads
valve covers

What else do I need?
any advise?

I am thinking of a high compression, agressive cam, natural aspirated setup and keep my suspension setup for autocross/road race.

I know I want it to remain a manual trans car... I currently have a T5z in my car from a '95 Cobra, does anyone know of a bellhousing that will adapt the T5z to the 4.6? will it handle the power/torque or should I even bother? should I just bite the bullet and aquire a T56?

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
dohc 4.6 in my gts

i have a complete 98 cobra convertible running.salvage.has all the parts you need.would make a good donor parts car for you.i was going to transplant everything in my notchback but i might go a different way.i am asking 3,000 for the complete car.posted picture while back

kweb288

Addict
Mar 18, 2009
what if you went with a T5? do you need a 6 speed for road racing? (not sure just asking) cause a 5 speed woul weigh less and are a little cheaper to build/repair

just a thought, look at ron fransis wiring for info about their wiring harness for modular swaped cars, eliminates a bunch of stuff you dont really need. thats what i got on my pig

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
what if you went with a T5? do you need a 6 speed for road racing? (not sure just asking) cause a 5 speed woul weigh less and are a little cheaper to build/repair

just a thought, look at ron fransis wiring for info about their wiring harness for modular swaped cars, eliminates a bunch of stuff you dont really need. thats what i got on my pig

If it would be cost effective to run my current T5 I would as it has so far been pretty stout and I like the way it shifts and such, just don't know where to get a bell housing to make it work. I just don't want to run it if it can't handle the torque of the new motor, cause right now it is a fairly fresh rebuilt unit and could fetch me a few bucks, worth almost nothing broken.

I am on a budget, but don't want to be stepping over dollars to pick up dimes.

kweb288

Addict
Mar 18, 2009
carbing the engine may be easier, wont get the best mpg and i doubt it will pass emissions....
also before you buy that k member you may want to consider buying a tubular setup especially if you are using the car for racing..
and many places make bellhousing for everything, i have a bellhousing for a th400 on a 4.6! check out lakewood

V

venmousracer

You dont live to far from me. I am in plainfield right off rte30 and 111th st. If you need help or tips let me know.. I am swapping in a 4v into my 88gt. I will be running a stock k-member. with a family and mortgage I can't spend my money on my cars like I used to.. You can run a factory 96-04 k-member off any 2v or 4v stang. and you can still retain all your suspension pieces... you will need a new brake boost, you will need to change over to the 96 and newer hydroboost setup to retain power brakes and steering. I will do manual as my car is more of a drag car...As for eletronocs there is a company that sells a stand alone wiring for the motor, there are so many different ways to do this.. I myself am using a 93 mark 8 motor which I will turbo, already got the motor and I have a built turbo 400 as well.... Eddie

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
Living in Oswego, and being the the car is in fact a '95 I don;t have to worry about emmisions...

I am using the stock 99-04 K member for the rigidity since it is not a drag car... plus I do not like coil overs on Mustang due to the fact that coil overs put all of the weight of the front on the strut tower braces as opposed to the stock locations of the springs.
also, I have a lot of cash in my front suspension and do not want to have to change it up.

what all is involved in carbing a '95??? how hard is it to make my stock guages work?

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
My life sucks......

just as I am in the middle of my parts collecting phase, I now have home repairs to make.... I think I am going to have to sell my engine build parts to pay for it.

anyway, project aborted, or al least on hold.

Good thing my built 5.0 is still running great.

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
Sorry to hear about that. You can continue to run the 5.0L until the 2 valve project is up and running again / complete.

yes and no....

Yes, the 5.0 is running great and i can continue to use it... No, the 4 valve project is probably not going to happen. I was looking into it a little more and I am finding that I can go faster cheaper with a power adder on the 5.0 like a blower. so once I finish with the home repairs that need to happen, I will be saving for a blower.

so all of my mod motor stuff will be up for sale once I can get some pictures taken.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info