• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Reading, reading and more reading...still can't decide if I want to keep my cats.

Native

Nov 22, 2010
Sorry my first post has to be a question but I am about to make a big modification purchase and want to know if I should include a cat-less x-pipe.
Right now my car has Bbk lt's, catted bbk h-pipe, Flowmaster catback and intake.
I'm going to be adding 2.76 pulley, tensioner, heat exchanger, head cooling mod and a street tune. My friend, who also has a cobra, says I have about 10 whp wrapped up in the cats and that I should get a cat-less x-pipe.

I've done a lot of reading about people who say they've gained hp, lost tq, lost both hp and tq, gained hp and tq across the powerband etc. etc. Some say they always smell like exhaust and gas fumes.

I've owned about 5 F-bodies and most of them I've gotten rid of the cats on them. My wife has hated it every time and says my cars smell and are loud lol. I would only want to ditch the cats if the power improvement would be worth the noise and smell (unless Cobras and sealed up better and don't let exhaust fumes into the cab).

Any thoughts appreciated.

IZZy

Wheel and tire tycoon
Dec 15, 2007
First of all welcome!

Second I thought this thread was about keeping a pet:lmao:

10hp is not enough to notice a difference and yes you are better off keeping the wife happy:)

Buy a catted X-pipe

oh and post some pics of your car

Native

Nov 22, 2010
Haha what a strange paradox. I'm actually allergic to real cats and my wife won't let me get rid of those two either :lmao: Maybe I should just get rid of the only "cats" I have the power to get rid of. I actually really like the tone of cat-less exhaust so if there is proven power to be gained I'm all about it.
Does anyone have trouble with smelling exhaust in the car while driving?

Thanks for the welcome guys. Couple pics from my phone..

cobra2.jpg

Cobra.jpg

cobraside.jpg

Native

Nov 22, 2010
I didnt have any problems smelling the exhaust while driving but the people behind me did haha.

and glad to see another zinc yellow car, only mine and ITLLOWNU's that I can think of.

That's cool. Hopefully I can meet up with some of you next summer. I'm actually up in Wisconsin but find myself in the Chicago area a few times during the warmer months. I usually try to do one of the bigger cruises as well as Automotion up in the Dells.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
Haha what a strange paradox. I'm actually allergic to real cats and my wife won't let me get rid of those two either :lmao: Maybe I should just get rid of the only "cats" I have the power to get rid of. I actually really like the tone of cat-less exhaust so if there is proven power to be gained I'm all about it.
Does anyone have trouble with smelling exhaust in the car while driving?

Thanks for the welcome guys. Couple pics from my phone..

cobra2.jpg

Cobra.jpg

cobraside.jpg
Nice ride! I like the catless sound on mustangs usually but I put a catless pipe on and took it off after going around the block a few times. Too loud for me and to be honest I think the sound of catless pipes sound 1000x better on pushrod motors than modular.

SBTerminator

Pre Owned Director
Jan 31, 2010
Chicagoland
Real Name
Andy Miodynski
Nice ride! I like the catless sound on mustangs usually but I put a catless pipe on and took it off after going around the block a few times. Too loud for me and to be honest I think the sound of catless pipes sound 1000x better on pushrod motors than modular.

I LOVE the way an H Pipe sounds on a Fox, I hope I like it on the Termi in the Spring time, if not, there will be one for sale.... :(

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I struggled with this for a long time, but I have to say the sound of my combo with no cats was awesome, however, I did like it better to live with when I had the factory catted mid pipe on there. The REAL gain is in the cat back, NOT the mid pipe UNLESS like in your case you have the LT's, so YES an off road mid pipe would SOUND the best, but personally I'd rather see you have a catted mid pipe. The main reason being that a cop can right you up for a BAD fine with no cats, and they flow way to good to be left off the car, the power loss is too small to even consider. Don't give a cop the room.

Long tubes give the 03-04 Cobra so much right there at the engine that there's no need for an off road mid pipe, and as it pull away it sounds the same as if it had an off road h pipe anyway.

FWIW My combo was Ceramic coated JBA shorties, a Mac Off-Road H-pipe, Flow master 40 series cat back. All aluminized cheap stuff that never went bad on my garage queen. You could hear me in traffic windows up like a NASCAR comming, it was awesome.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info