• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Special Plates

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
Nope, they had all kinds of problems with that. At least that's what I've been told. I haven't had to go in a long time. Hopefully someone else can come in to confirm this. I suppose you could always call there.

yes, they discontinued the use of the dyno (IM240 I believe it was called) due to the lack of cars that were still OBDI. it costed more to keep the equipment operational than the state deemed justifiable. As far as I remember OBDII cars have never had to run on the dyno and have always just had the OBDII system checker plugged in and a fuel cap pressure test done.

Amplejester

Apr 28, 2009
I'm battling emissions as we speak. Don't be so sure. They check the readiness of the sensors so you cannot simply just turn everything "off":quote:

Also, if you have a custom tune, and your rear 02's are turned off, odds are you are throwing a P1000 code (system ready check). I drove on my custom tune for an extended period of time and the code never cleared because it could not complete the readiness check.

Quick way to tell if your car cleared the readiness stage is scan it with your SCT if you got one. I also, 99% sure, believe that if you turn the car ON, and there's a CEL that means it tossing the P1000, this CEL should go away once you start up the car.

fwiw KNOW what you are doing before getting tested, you can try being tested a few times but after 2-3 tries you get locked out of the system and need a signed mechanic notice to get retested.

sideways

yes, im an ass
Aug 25, 2008
yes, they discontinued the use of the dyno (IM240 I believe it was called) due to the lack of cars that were still OBDI. it costed more to keep the equipment operational than the state deemed justifiable. As far as I remember OBDII cars have never had to run on the dyno and have always just had the OBDII system checker plugged in and a fuel cap pressure test done.
correct on all fronts. OBDII cars never ran on the rollers or did the tailpipe sniffer. OBDII cars only get the diagnostic port check and the fuel cap check

now if your tune is "shutting off" the O2 sensor codes, it may show a "not ready" status of your O2's when they test it, in which case you would not pass. just a heads up

sideways

yes, im an ass
Aug 25, 2008
I'm battling emissions as we speak. Don't be so sure. They check the readiness of the sensors so you cannot simply just turn everything "off":quote:

Also, if you have a custom tune, and your rear 02's are turned off, odds are you are throwing a P1000 code (system ready check). I drove on my custom tune for an extended period of time and the code never cleared because it could not complete the readiness check.

Quick way to tell if your car cleared the readiness stage is scan it with your SCT if you got one. I also, 99% sure, believe that if you turn the car ON, and there's a CEL that means it tossing the P1000, this CEL should go away once you start up the car.

fwiw KNOW what you are doing before getting tested, you can try being tested a few times but after 2-3 tries you get locked out of the system and need a signed mechanic notice to get retested.
you beat me to it lol

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
I also, 99% sure, believe that if you turn the car ON, and there's a CEL that means it tossing the P1000, this CEL should go away once you start up the car.

this is not correct. The CEL comes on when the car is first started as part of the prove out of the dash indicator lights.
All of the lights should come on either when the key is first turned on or when it is being started. They stay on for varying amount of time. That's how you know if they are working or not.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info