• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

03-04 Cobra engine builders/rebuilders

sleepercobra

Regular
Aug 14, 2009
Anyone on here rebuild cobra engines? i would like mine to be rebuilt to handle a little more power or be rebuilt to factory specs. I believe one of the valves on my car blew last night because it splattered coolant and metal peices out my longtubes.... I dont kno the extent of the damage but im thinking its just the drivers side head. Can something like this happen because of excessive turning the engine over without fuel? i had a fuel problem (bad boost a pump) and i was cranking it over multiple times to see if i was getting fuel pressure.

01bluesnake

D Mark Performance
TCG Sponsor
Jul 8, 2009
Wow, sorry to hear that. Cranking an engine without fuel will not cause this to happen. So were you driving the car, and it just killed itself or you saying while you were cranking it. I dont have any personal experience with our local shops as far as engine building goes, but i'm sure some members can chime in on that.

sleepercobra

Regular
Aug 14, 2009
Wow, sorry to hear that. Cranking an engine without fuel will not cause this to happen. So were you driving the car, and it just killed itself or you saying while you were cranking it. I dont have any personal experience with our local shops as far as engine building goes, but i'm sure some members can chime in on that.

right as the fuel issue was resolved it started up but it spit up all that coolant and metal out the exhaust. so it ran a total of like 10 seconds before it died. i had a custom tune from amazon racing for my setup but i was going to get a dynotune anyways, just this happened. the car had 0 mechanical issues prior to going under the knife and getting a ported blower put on along with other misc mods... i guess i will be taking the motor out this week and ripping it apart to see how bad the damage is so i dont waste more money on a rebuild when tousley is running a special on longblocks..

gnxs

Electron Powered
Apr 26, 2004
Anyone on here rebuild cobra engines? i would like mine to be rebuilt to handle a little more power or be rebuilt to factory specs. I believe one of the valves on my car blew last night because it splattered coolant and metal peices out my longtubes.... I dont kno the extent of the damage but im thinking its just the drivers side head. Can something like this happen because of excessive turning the engine over without fuel? i had a fuel problem (bad boost a pump) and i was cranking it over multiple times to see if i was getting fuel pressure.
When your BAP started failing is when you might have done the damage.

sleepercobra

Regular
Aug 14, 2009
Any pictures of the metal?

img0619os.jpg

sleepercobra

Regular
Aug 14, 2009
Describe exactly what you did when you were diagnosing the fuel problem.

i purchased a used boost a pump with wire upgrade and wired it in to how the installation instructions on svtp explained. first i replaced my fuel filter (which was a bitch with the irs in the way) that didnt help, i replaced the frps (that didnt help) so i went back to why the pumps werent kicking on and double checked the bap and this time i actually checked for which wires went were on the relay and noticed it was wired wrong from the guy i bought it from... so i flipped the two wires that connect to the black and green one and magically that was the fix, started it up with 35% on the bap like my tuner told me to and it started right up, turned it off and noticed coolant everywhere, i thought a coolant line busted but it came out the headers so i tried starting it again and it fired up perfectly only this time when i turned it off there was all that metal and now the engine doesnt want to crank over at all.

sleepercobra

Regular
Aug 14, 2009
took out the spark plugs on that side and found this, all of them smell like gas (no coolant visible) all other cylinders were fine except this one i think its #7. so far i can see the piston needing to be replaced and that head because of the stripped thread and all that metal missing. but i still dont know why this happened. could it really be because of an injector?

20100727171147470.jpg

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info