• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Shelby 500 versus cobra Main difference???

Curt

Regular
Sep 23, 2007
I havent had time to really do any research, or for that matter drive a new gt 500 but they look nice. I currently have a 03 cobra convertible with a 2.76 pulley, exhaust and cai.

My question is....should I upgrade to a shebly 500?? I see they make a little more power than my car does out of the box. What are the other benefits? Do the ride better, is there more space, are they just as strong and tuff as the cobra's??? Are they insane with the pulley upgrade?? Any advice would be great. Thanks

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
The cars are "completely" different. NOT...to take anything away from the 03-04 TERMINATOR'S, but there is a huge diffence.

It is still a Mustang in the sense that it's nimble and powerfull, that's for sure, but it feels longer, and wider, and there are times when the acceleration is equally BRUTAL, but it is a bigger, heavier car, and I like that.

FWIW I think my 03 which was a ported 2.76 with a 4:10 gear would slaughter my 2010 in the 1/4 mile with Nitto's much less even better Drag Radials any day, even with a Drag Radial on the 2010, by 3-4 tenths easy. I could be wrong, but that's my gut feeling.

Hope that helps.

hj16

Tasty!
Mar 1, 2004
They make a assload of power with the normal bolt ons and seem to eclipse 700rwhp with ease with the big twin screws. That being said, they are big heavy cars and it seems to me their track times reflect that unless you really know what you are doing and have the car dialed in.

The interior, chassis and suspension of the 05-09s is a big upgrade from the SN95 and the 2010+ interiors are just flat out awesome. Its definitely a better car, but its also very very different

TCG Member 5219

TCG Elite Member
Mar 22, 2005
They make a assload of power with the normal bolt ons and seem to eclipse 700rwhp with ease with the big twin screws. That being said, they are big heavy cars and it seems to me their track times reflect that unless you really know what you are doing and have the car dialed in.

The interior, chassis and suspension of the 05-09s is a big upgrade from the SN95 and the 2010+ interiors are just flat out awesome. Its definitely a better car, but its also very very different

Bj just cracked 10's with his shelby with just the normal boltons and a DR I believe.

10thSVT_03

DRRRT PROSPECT
Feb 28, 2009
I prefer my 03 to a Shelby. I like the bodystyle much more and also the feel of the car. The Shelby IMO felt very heavy and Not like a Mustang where you have that feel of whipping it around. Car just doesn't impress me for the price tag. They look like they are missing something when I look at them.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
I will agree in stock form but anyone that owns one know's that a set of springs fixes that issue.

Are you saying that a new set of "springs" makes the NEW Mustang feel as nimble as the old one???? My gut feeling is that it's just too big to get that back. I wonder if the wheel base and track are the same as the 03-04 or 70's version.

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Mar 25, 2007
Are you saying that a new set of "springs" makes the NEW Mustang feel as nimble as the old one???? My gut feeling is that it's just too big to get that back. I wonder if the wheel base and track are the same as the 03-04 or 70's version.

It makes a hell of difference, I went with the eibach pro's. It was night and day and the pro's are not a big drop. You would be surprised how much better the car feels not sitting like a 4x4.

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I'm getting to that age where I want something a little softer and quieter with a bit more luxury on the inside. I was going to go for a CTS-V, but now that the government owns GM, that's off the table.

I'm coming from a pullied 03 Cobra and would like similar power so it sounds like the GT500 might be the answer. What do you guys think?

pwrshft99

Sep 7, 2008
I cant afford either but itd be tough for me to pick a GT500 over the 2011 5.0

Maybe its not blown from the factory but they sure putting out some impressive numbers, and there is always nitrous for those trips to the track.

Hell, I think you can get the FRPP Whipple dealer installed and with a warranty.

Since 1964

TCG Elite Member
May 26, 2004
Any GT500 with a 2.8 or larger blower, minor suspension work, and tires would be enough to beat the tar out of most cars. That's MY goal, I just hope I can keep my wheels and get a DR that will fit.

There is a sad reality that you come to know when comparing a GT 500 to an 03-04 Terminator. The Patched up FOX Platform is NO, I mean NOTHING like a new Mustang. It IS a completely different animal, and an awesome job at that. With a 2.8 KB, you will have died and gone to Heaven, much less a 2.9 Whipple, or a 3.4 Whipple, OH MY GOD.

skyhighsd

auto mofo
Mar 25, 2007
I'm getting to that age where I want something a little softer and quieter with a bit more luxury on the inside. I was going to go for a CTS-V, but now that the government owns GM, that's off the table.

I'm coming from a pullied 03 Cobra and would like similar power so it sounds like the GT500 might be the answer. What do you guys think?

I dont think you could go wrong with either one, just think if you decide that you want a lot more power down the road the 500 is way to go. One other thing I have noticed lately the CTS-V resale does not hold water when you look at the two.

Any GT500 with a 2.8 or larger blower, minor suspension work, and tires would be enough to beat the tar out of most cars. That's MY goal, I just hope I can keep my wheels and get a DR that will fit.

There is a sad reality that you come to know when comparing a GT 500 to an 03-04 Terminator. The Patched up FOX Platform is NO, I mean NOTHING like a new Mustang. It IS a completely different animal, and an awesome job at that. With a 2.8 KB, you will have died and gone to Heaven, much less a 2.9 Whipple, or a 3.4 Whipple, OH MY GOD.

lol I can vouch for that:biggthump Dennis you need to find a set of wheels off of a vert and your dr's issue would be gone.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info