• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

ecu question

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
are there any differences between a 2001 4.6 ecu and a 2003-2004 cobra ecu.besides extra wires in the harnesses.i looked in my electrical manuals for both 01 and 04 and all the pins are the same just not used.besides the tune what makes them different.i know some guys with the cobra engine swaps are using their stock ecu's.my 01 saleen was supercharged so would it be possible to use the original ecu to control the cobra engine.also did anybody have their ecu's replaced.what steps did they take .did it have to be completly reprogrammed.i have a brand new 2004 cobra ecu from ford that came blank.might be returnning it back if i can use my original one programmed to my vin number.any input greatly apreciated.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
If you want to control things such as intercooler pump on/off and boost control, then yes the 03 pcm will be necessary.

If you dont need that stuff (which you dont) your stock pcm will be just fine.

About the VIN...if you use your stock pcm you have no worries.
If you use the 03 pcm, you will need to disable PATS to get the car running then take it to FORD for programming.

tinosc281

TCG Elite Member
Jun 25, 2005
i have a brand new cobra ecu.the only thing that the dealer told me is in order to have them program the new ecu i will need a cobra vin number to get the right stock base tune.my vin number is not acceptable for that.i don't really need a stock tune since i allready have a tune for kenne bell.my question is can i just throw in the tune to the new ecu without having a base tune in it first.doesnt the kennebell tune allready has all the information necessary to make the new ecu adapt.the pats is not turned off on my tune so i don't see a reason why the car wouldn't start if all you do is transfer all the information to the new ecu.in theory i can just copy the stock tune from the current cobra ecu i have in the car,transfer it to the new ecu and than just install the kenne bell tune.the only reason im having an issue with the ecu i have,is the fact that i bought used on ebay a few years ago.and last year i found out that the ecu 's vin number belonged to a car reported stolen.i am still waiting to see if they are confiscating the ecu.i want to have my bases covered in case they will take it away.so i won't to deal with this crap.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info

• T
    Created
    Replies
    Views
  • Participants list