• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Crazy amount of clutch cable play after spec 2+ install

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
there a couple of possibilities:
1) the release fork is not mounted into the bellhousing correctly.
2) the TOB is not mounted to the release fork correctly.
3) The cable housing is not attached to the firewall adjuster properly.
4) There was an error made when the clutch was installed, such as the disk is in backwards.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
is the cable housing too short? or the inner cable itself?
if the housing is too short then it may be a routing issue.
is it routed as the original cable was routed? especially around the exhaust manifold?
is the trans/engine combo the same as what came out?
Do you have an aftermarket quadrant and adjuster?
if you are just installing the adjuster for the first time, part of the cable housing end has to be modified to fit into the adjuster.

bmxer89

Regular
Sep 4, 2008
1) the release fork is not mounted into the bellhousing correctly. I put in to were you jsut pup it over the little ball
2) the TOB is not mounted to the release fork correctly. I put on to that it is on top of the clips like i saw in a write up
3) The cable housing is not attached to the firewall adjuster properly.It has to be on there properly i have had it on there for the stock clutch for over 15k miles
4) There was an error made when the clutch was installed, such as the disk is in backwards. I know i did not do that

I am really confused why it is like this i have fire wall adjuster out as far as it can go too.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
1) the release fork is not mounted into the bellhousing correctly. I put in to were you jsut pup it over the little ball
2) the TOB is not mounted to the release fork correctly. I put on to that it is on top of the clips like i saw in a write up
3) The cable housing is not attached to the firewall adjuster properly.It has to be on there properly i have had it on there for the stock clutch for over 15k miles
4) There was an error made when the clutch was installed, such as the disk is in backwards. I know i did not do that

I am really confused why it is like this i have fire wall adjuster out as far as it can go too.

There are probably a dozen other things that could cause your problem, those were the most common and obvious.

here are a few more less common ones:

If you are correct in all the above, then maybe something is wrong with the clutch itself?

Are they the correct parts for the application? check the part numbers

Are the release fingers coming all the way back until they almost touch the pressure plate cover?

Is the transmission fully seated against the bellhousing and the bellhousing against the motor?

Does the release fork/TOB slide easily on the guide tube?

Hopefully it is something simple and you just need a second set of eyes to spot it.
Get someone over to help you walk through it.

bmxer89

Regular
Sep 4, 2008
FWIW I have the same issue after installing my Spec 3+
Its too bad Im a clutch dummy and dont know how to spot a problem.
However, after a lot of research, Ive found this to be a common problem which requires shimming of the pivot ball.

That sounds like it could be the problem what do you do it shim the pivot ball just take it out and put some washers under it?

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Just got off the phone with Spec.
He told me shimming the pivot ball should not be necessary and he hasnt received any complaints like we have.

Funny how 99% of everyone on ModularFords has to shim the pivot ball but it fits perfectly according to Spec.

Another fine example of aftermarket parts not working properly. I am gonna shim the pivot ball, because I do not want to have to turn the firewall adjuster all the way out.

bmxer89

Regular
Sep 4, 2008
Just got off the phone with Spec.
He told me shimming the pivot ball should not be necessary and he hasnt received any complaints like we have.

Funny how 99% of everyone on ModularFords has to shim the pivot ball but it fits perfectly according to Spec.

Another fine example of aftermarket parts not working properly. I am gonna shim the pivot ball, because I do not want to have to turn the firewall adjuster all the way out.

Ya that is kind of funny they also told me the samething i found multiple threads on modularford about how people have to shim the pivot ball. I thinking about stopping at winners circles tommorow and picking up a adjustable clutch cable

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
Ya that is kind of funny they also told me the samething i found multiple threads on modularford about how people have to shim the pivot ball. I thinking about stopping at winners circles tommorow and picking up a adjustable clutch cable

IF the pivot is positioned incorrectly, an adjustable cable won't solve the problem. The release fork will just end up hitting the bellhousing.
Adjustable cables also seem to have a high failure rate.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info