• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

94/95 Alternator needed for diag

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
Hey guys...
I have been trying to work out some bugs with my new motor install and it has started to make a new noise... it's a metallic rapping noise... it seriously scares the crap out of me... but I have been listening around with my stethescope and do not hear it when I am listening to the block itself or anything else really. so I took off my alt pulley and felt the shaft, it does have some play forward and backwards that produces a similar sound to what I am hearing when it is running... weird that I am not picking this up with the stethescope either. anyway... I need a 94/95 alternator to borrow for a few minutes so I can confirm or rule it out as my problem.
Thanks,
Ben

CREJoe

Chassis Builder
Jun 15, 2007
Problem is, by taking off the belt you take the water pump and P/S pumps out of the equation too. They could be what's causing the noise and by eliminating them, it may quiet down but you'd only be guessing at the cause. Water pumps can sound similar to an alternator when they go bad. Also, don't overlook the idler or tensioner pulleys, a lot of times they are the cause. Ben, I have one or two laying around you can try...give me a call.

Joe

scca_stang

Owns Assault Rifles
Dec 4, 2008
Just take the belt off and start the engine, LOL

if I do that, my water pump will not run... kind of a bad idea IMO, isn't it.

plus like joe said, it takes several components out of the equation...

I plan to take my alternator down to have it bench tested at autozone, if it is the alternator, I should hear it on the bench too... I might also just pick up a new tensioner since they are fairly cheap and it is probably fairly worn anyway...

I doubt the water pump or the power steering are the problem since the power steering is only a couple months old and the water pump is brand new. but who knows, they could be.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info