• đź’ˇ Fun fact. Whenever you start a thread, TCG Mechanic 5000 (our AI bot) will reply to you to start helping. It doesn't know everything and it will struggle with more complex questions but it can get the thread going and provide valuable information. You can choose to disable it prior to submitting a thread.

Pulling a 4v out

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Not sure if u have access to a lift but I would lift the body off the motor. I bet ripple could help out with that. Get it all done. Trailer car there and we can lift body off for you. Trailer back home. Done. You can give me a call if u want

That's the thing I wanna try and save money by doing it myself. I just wanna make sure I have everything covered, I just gotta get a cherry picker.

WhtSuperStang

Jack Bauer > Chuck Norris
Jun 27, 2005
No problem.
I had the timing cover off of my mach 1 in under an hour last year.
It will definitely be a little longer on a Cobra though.

under an hour??

this is what the mach 1 had to say about that
Saved_By_The_Bell_Im_Having_a_Zach_Attack-T-link.jpg

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
No problem.
I had the timing cover off of my mach 1 in under an hour last year.
It will definitely be a little longer on a Cobra though.

Do I have to take off the ac compressor to pull of the timing cover? I know it's gonna be longer on a cobra, pulley bridge, alt, etc. What kind of gasket is used for the timing cover?

And is a timing cover leak a common prob on 4v's?

Oh it's getting powder coated too along with pulley bridge, all black.

Zack

4 Doors 4 Life
Mar 21, 2004
NW Indiana
Do I have to take off the ac compressor to pull of the timing cover? I know it's gonna be longer on a cobra, pulley bridge, alt, etc. What kind of gasket is used for the timing cover?

And is a timing cover leak a common prob on 4v's?

Oh it's getting powder coated too along with pulley bridge, all black.

AC compressor front 2 bolts need to come out and the back bolt loosened.

The 2 rubber gaskets are re-useable and the front seal is about 6 bucks. You need to recess it in the cover though, otherwise the harmonic balancer might hit it.

vadorsnake04

TCG Elite Member
Apr 24, 2006
Ive pulled my engine twice now and installed it once, both times i pulled it and installed it with the motor, trans, longtubes, and wiring harness attached to it. The second time i didn't even take the hood off of the car. I just take the blower, intercooler, fan, and coolant tanks out of it to make space. I owe my knowledge of pulling these engines to RDSNAKE, I still owe him one now.

FuelSlut

FK RED STAR
Nov 9, 2005
Ive pulled my engine twice now and installed it once, both times i pulled it and installed it with the motor, trans, longtubes, and wiring harness attached to it. The second time i didn't even take the hood off of the car. I just take the blower, intercooler, fan, and coolant tanks out of it to make space. I owe my knowledge of pulling these engines to RDSNAKE, I still owe him one now.

It doesn't seem that hard, I mean I did my own longtubes while I swapped out the k member and my motor was suspended the whole time. So if I wanted to pull it I could it's just that it was in someone elses garage, I'm a little ill equiped right now. I think I'm just gonna do the timing cover with the motor in, and leave my other cosmetic stuff for when I pull the motor.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info