Solid axle questions

stunuts

My Member?!
Jul 28, 2008
I swapped in a basically stock 04 gt solid into my car this weekend, it has moser 31 spline axles, 31 spline Cobra trak-lok, and 3.73 gear in it.

The guy I swapped with had steeda LCA's, stock uppers, and the upper bushings are stock as well. What are the first things I should do to make sure I don't break this thing? I have been reading things about getting c-clip eliminators, but then people saying there junk and in turn people dump gear fluid. Other people get the 8.8 ends cut off and go to the 9" ends that don't use a c-clip.

I just want some idea's so I can get some thoughts going on what I should do, and what works and what doesn't!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Mar 2, 2004
The 8.8 works well as it is. You really don't need the c-clip eliminators except if you get teched by some overzealous nut.
As you have it set up now, the only thing I would do is replace the uppers with adjustable aftermarket pieces and poly bushings.

The original concept for the c-clip eliminators was to prevent the wheel from coming off of the car if the axle failed. Now, with the disk brake setup, this is no longer possible, well not any more so that if you did change over to the 9" style.

stunuts

My Member?!
Jul 28, 2008
The 8.8 works well as it is. You really don't need the c-clip eliminators except if you get teched by some overzealous nut.
As you have it set up now, the only thing I would do is replace the uppers with adjustable aftermarket pieces and poly bushings.

The original concept for the c-clip eliminators was to prevent the wheel from coming off of the car if the axle failed. Now, with the disk brake setup, this is no longer possible, well not any more so that if you did change over to the 9" style.

Thanks! I don't want to spend money on stuff I don't need!

Aron

TCG Elite Member
Sep 1, 2005

+1
Once you go so fast (don't recall the ET) they want aftermarket axles in the rear end without c-clips

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info