12V battery charger

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
Battery is dead in the stang and I am borrowing a neighbors charger.... Now this thing has to be 20-25 yrs old and has two settings... 2amp and 6 amp. It seems lie it will take many many hours to get this 1000cca battery to turn over the 5.0 but my main question is do you think its safe to leave it on overnight? I am not sure if this dinosaur thing has a n auto shut off.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
Sorry for not clarifying ShelbyGuy, NEW style trickle chargers, are a float style charger, that will not OVER CHARGE the battery. It will quit it's charge when it notices it is at a full charge, and will resume back when the battery discharges. Where as the style charger in question, does not have this preventative measure.

Thanks for posting.

willsmysticcobra

Classifieds Mod
Mar 3, 2006
Algonquin
ya I mean this thing is so old its not even coming up in google haha. For the shit of it I just threw my battery in the fox and it barely had enough power to prime the walbro. The headlights were somewhat white and not brown though lol.....

Question is should I charge it till about midnight and resume charging when I wake up tomorrow? Also the gauge on this charger only reads to 8amps. When I put my multimeter on the batter it reads a steady 13-13.5 volts so I hope this thing is strong enough to get the starter to engage

nytebyte

Not Politically Correct
Mar 2, 2004
I have an old charger like that as well, except this one was made back when we were still at war with Japan. Old chargers like that don't have the logic to shut down when the battery is charged. Years ago I cooked a battery with this thing.

To be safe, don't leave it unattended.

Jimy Bilmo

CSVT OG Member
TCG Premium
TCG Goldmember
Aug 16, 2005
I have an old charger like that as well, except this one was made back when we were still at war with Japan. Old chargers like that don't have the logic to shut down when the battery is charged. Years ago I cooked a battery with this thing.

To be safe, don't leave it unattended.

Thanks for posting. :cool2:

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 90 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant. Consider starting a new thread to get fresh replies.

Thread Info